Putting MLServer on a client tablet for demos. Suggestions?

Publicly discuss strategies, opportunities and best practices using the Lobby Suite with other professionals in this ever growing industry.
syous

Putting MLServer on a client tablet for demos. Suggestions?

Postby syous » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:09 pm

Was hoping to get some thoughts and ideas.

I Got a nice tablet for home/demo unit. I have it setup to connect to the MLserver running at home/office and it works/looks great. However, when I want to take it out for a demo at a client's house, it won't show most of the cool features such as the Music, DVD, etc...

I am thinking of getting a license for MLserver, DVDlobby, MusicL and Jriver to put on the tablet for demos. I know I still won't be able to show any of the stuff that need internet connection but that is understandable.

I was wondering if anyone else is doing this or something similar and what I should look out for.

Would appreciate any thoughts.
syous

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:14 pm

syous,
For shows, we Save Variables on Exit in MLServer,
And overlay jpgs where XMLobby coverart views should go for demos (as one example).

With the new Content folder structure that Mario put in the latest betas, this is much easier to coordinate of different setups on the same PC that only require one path change to swap to a different set of scenes (like an offline demo mode).

syous

What if?

Postby syous » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:59 pm

Thanks Smoothtlk,

I am not getting this. Doesn't saving variables on exit have to do with the PC that is running MLSErver? The tablet is not closing so where would I save variables? Or are you saying that once I put MLserver on this unit, then use the Save variables ?

What if I put a sample/copy of my library (only legal copies) and just the dvd coverart on this unit? I would then only have to change the MLserver Domain address in the ML startup screen to the localhost for demo or my home server for the rest of the time?

Could it be that easy or am I missing something?
syous

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:17 pm

syous, to do a client demo, you will need MLServer and the client. That is usually on a single laptop. In this case, you would connect the laptop at your office to the Internet, update everything, and the tell MLServer to save variables on exit.

Then, when you get to your client's house, you change your content folder to the "Demo1" folder, change the client connection to point to the local MLServer (as opposed to your showroom MLServer connected to your showroom's hardware) and showcase a setup that might include static graphics to represent data pulls that normally would occur via the Internet.

We put a few movie trailers on the hard drive to simulate playing a full feature movie and use DVDLobby live (no fake stuff needed). Same with MusicLobby3. XMLobby usually needs some fakestuff as there is no local database of "what's playing". WebLobby needs a jpg fake out too. Good pic would be your company's website screen shot.

syous

Got it

Postby syous » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:47 pm

Thanks again smoothtlk,

It is just as I thought. But, won't I also need a separate license(than the one from the showroom) for dvdlobby and musiclobby because they are dependent on the MLserver license? Also, about the dvdlive, I got a server from cinemar for my last client and saw what you were talking about but, I thought that it was done with theatertek. Or is that the same thing? Where can I get the trailers? from one of my home dvds is what I think.

syous

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:42 am

Yes, for a PC to run MLServer 3 you would need a license.
Yes, on the Cinemar servers, we prebuild with TheaterTek so that a movie launched via DVDLobby plays on the PC. Much easier for a portable demo than dragging a Sony Changer with you :)
Same with J. River...clicking on a music playlist and have J. River render the audio on your demo laptop. Nothing beats a real show for a provocative demo.

Return to “Professional Installers & Dealers”