Best way to automate pool/spa?

Place to post your ideas and questions on how to integrate Cinemar's software in a Home Automation System (lighting, security, hvac, etc.)
Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Best way to automate pool/spa?

Postby Wysocki » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:02 pm

I have a Jandy Aqualink RS4 controller on my pool/spa right now and want to integrate it into ML. I suppose the Homeseer interface is the route to follow but it looks like I'd have to get a serial interface for the Jandy and it sounds shaky. It'd be very difficult to run a serial cable from my htpc to the pool controller. I'd prefer an ethernet communication to the pool controller. What are the best options: a total replacement unit or a solution using the current Jandy?

michael(fl)

Postby michael(fl) » Tue May 26, 2009 6:44 pm

what did you do to figure this out?

tia,
michael

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue May 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Are you struggling with the wiring (ethernet vs. serial) or with the software control?

You can run a Cat 5 cable from PC to Jandy and use that as a serial cable. If you want to run a ethernet instead...then you can use a ethernet to RS232 DB9 interface hardware. I have one available used.

MLComDevice can very likely be configured to operate the Jandy controller.

michael(fl)

Postby michael(fl) » Wed May 27, 2009 6:24 am

I am investigating what type of pool/spa control to purchase. I see a couple of posts for the Jandy unit. The Hayward Pro Logic has a serial interface ( http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/prod ... gement.cfm ) to connect to a 'home automation system'. This one looks like it has more options to use in the future. I am just trying to do my home work before I pull the trigger.

thanks,
michael

Return to “Home Automation”