Problem with Com Ports after Touch screen install??

Place to post your ideas and questions on how to integrate Cinemar's software in a Home Automation System (lighting, security, hvac, etc.)
chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Problem with Com Ports after Touch screen install??

Postby chrismd77 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:35 am

Hello everyone,

I got a planar Touch screen monitor last week. It is serial and I plugged it in to my next available com port on my EgdePort 16 port usb to serial converter. I then installed the software for the touch screen and everything worked great! I was a very happy man. I then rebooted my machine. When XP rebooted I then started the MLS3 and then ML3. It seemed that the communication between the computer and the hardware(CAV 6.6) was not working. I then looked in the hardware manager in XP and noticed that all com ports now have a problem but the one connected to the touch screen. The problem states the "XP cannot find the device"

Humm, Well my next step was to remove the touch screen and touch screen software. The problem was still there. I then un-installed the drivers for each com port. XP then re-found the com ports and I reinstalled the drivers. Everything worked great! I was a happy man again, until I rebooted. The problem came back. The device could not be found!!! I have spent a number of hours racking my brain and researching this problem but I still can not get XP to set the com port config.

Please, does anyone have any ideas??? I am willing to go into the registry if needed.

Thanks, Chris

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:15 am

What are the drivers called? I had the same problem with my 3M touch screen and the edgeport. The only solution for me was to connect the touch screen to a local comm port or use a single USB to Serial adapter. In my case I used a Radio Shack adapter. The edgeport is still connected... it's just not handling the touch screen.

For some reason the edgeport virtual serial driver does not play well with the touch screen drivers.
Hell-bent on automating everything! I’m too lazy to do anything else.

www.accessHA.com
Access Home Automation
The ultimate Insteon resource on the web.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:52 am

I had a similar problem with the Edgeport not working with a Touchscreen. I never positively identified it as an Edgeport issue, but the issues here helps to confirm that that was probably the problem.

AccessHA,

Perhaps you can let us know a model#/Vendor for the single USB > Serial device that is working for you.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:48 pm

Mario,

The device I'm using is this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search

Radio Shack part# Model: 26-183

I've tested this one from IO Gear as well:

http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUC232A
Hell-bent on automating everything! I’m too lazy to do anything else.

www.accessHA.com

Access Home Automation

The ultimate Insteon resource on the web.

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:32 am

Thanks Everyone,

I will be picking up a USB to Serial converter form Radio Shack today. I plan to keep all my Touch panels away from my Edgeport 416 from now on. Here is the question of the day. How in the world do I completely remove all necessary drivers and or software so my PC sees the edgeport as it did the first time I installed it??? That want I want to do. I want to get back to its original state and I now know to keep the touch screens away. I have emailed Digi but maybe someone else has been down this road before.

So everyone knows I have removed the drivers through the Device manager but that did not seem to work. See post above. Thanks, Chris

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby MurrayW » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:23 pm

chrismd77 wrote:Thanks Everyone,

I will be picking up a USB to Serial converter form Radio Shack today. I plan to keep all my Touch panels away from my Edgeport 416 from now on. Here is the question of the day. How in the world do I completely remove all necessary drivers and or software so my PC sees the edgeport as it did the first time I installed it??? That want I want to do. I want to get back to its original state and I now know to keep the touch screens away. I have emailed Digi but maybe someone else has been down this road before.

So everyone knows I have removed the drivers through the Device manager but that did not seem to work. See post above. Thanks, Chris
Have you tired a "System Restore" back to a date when everything was working well?

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:58 am

well after many hours with Digi over email trying different things I still could not get the edgeport to act correctly. Thanks Murry, I did a system restore and everything is back to the way it was. I got a Radio Shack USB to serial device and now my touch screen runs off of that.

New question. Right now a I have a dual out video card. If i get one m ore touch screen and one more Radio Shack USB to serial device will the ELO drivers allow me to have two touch screens? How do I set up the MainLobby Client so I can have two running on that one machine but in the different monitor windows?? Can I do this or does the PC need to be set up in Clone Mode?? Thanks a lot, Chris

Return to “Home Automation”