Napco

Place to post your ideas and questions on how to integrate Cinemar's software in a Home Automation System (lighting, security, hvac, etc.)
mzn

Napco

Postby mzn » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi,

Anyone using a Napco alarm panel in concjuction with ML Server? If so, what are the hardware requirements for the interface, and does anyone have a driver? I know it works with other home automation systems.
Thanks.

ffneil

Re: Napco

Postby ffneil » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:34 pm

I use HomeSeer to connect to the Napco alarm system. I then use the MLHSplugin to get data to Mainlobby. I do not know of a driver in ML for Napco.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:41 pm

A native V4 driver for Napco is in development. But it is not a pretty thing to write.

mzn

Postby mzn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:24 am

Need some advise please. I've never used HomeSeer. It is worth purchasing and learning how to use it, and then integrate with MLServer? Or is it best to just be patient and wait to have the native driver written?

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:34 am

Ever thought about maybe changing out the security system? A lot of people that use ML and HomeSeer actually use an ELK security system as it is more friendly towards what we all what to do - automate our houses. You can even "program" the ELK to do automation tasks. Plus, the solid state of the ELK is handy for the real critical automation items as it does not use PC. Of course, your security provider will probably tell you that they can not support the ELK. All of the wiring and hard wired devices will probably be compatible with the ELK. Wireless devices may be another matter.

I have used HomeSeer for 15 years and am a loyal customer. BUT, I will tell you that Cinemar in my overall opinion is leading the two. Homeseer is a good product and you can't go wrong, but right now their HS3 development effort will take 6-12 months to really take hold. Plus, the HSTouch product is really meager in contrast to Cinemar's Web UI. I will continue to use both products and also have an ELK deployed at my house and my parents.

Trust me, as I have worked with both companies for 10+ years.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Concur with Krumpy. I have ELK in two homes and find them virtually flawless once set up correctly. Had one set of problems - a linksys router that would disconnect from the ELK IP module. Once I figured out it was the router and not ELK, i changed over to Netgear routers and have had NO issues since. I personally installed both ELK's and it was very easy. All existing wired sensors (magnetic, motion, fire and Co2) were compatible. I added a bunch of wireless sensors and have never had a false alarm from any. Takes some time to get used to the ELK RP software, but Google Advanced Search will almost always find you an answer in getting the settings correct. Then you can control all ELK settings and commands through the ELK RP software. ELK talks nicely to MainLobby, although I do it through ISY and not through MainLobby's security plugin. Example: when I set the alarm, ELK tells ISY to turn out specified lights and MainLobby lighting scenes update. Vice versa when I disarm. If I set ELK to Vacation, lights go on and off randomly, and thermostats are adjusted.

It's a big project to do the install, but overall a fun one if you like to have your hands on the end product.

mzn

Postby mzn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks for your help. My problem is not the few hundred $ cost of the panel, it is the cost of all the keypads, labor to rewire the panel (I have numerous Napco zone extenders with about 80-90 zones), as well as 3-4 wireless zones. Unless you tell me other3ise, the cost of swapping out the Napco for an Elk is going to run a few thousand dollars - not a good option.
How complicated/expensive would it be to just run Homeseer with the existing Napco system, and have it integrate with ML Server?
thanks again.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Correct on cost, $1,500 to $3,000 per location for most installs. Here are some of my ELK costs for most recent install (a few years old, so likely a few dollars higher now):

M1 Gold Panel with 1st keypad - $700
M1KP2 2nd & 3rd keypad - $245
M1XEP Ethernet connector - $235
M1XRF2G Wireless Receiver - $142
M1DBH M1 Databus Hub - $ 35
Interlogix Wireless Smoke (2) - $141
GE Motion Sensor (2) - $198
GE Glass Break Sound Sensor - $101
GE Micro Window Sensors (15?) - $400

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:37 am

Oronomus wrote:Concur with Krumpy. I have ELK in two homes and find them virtually flawless once set up correctly. Had one set of problems - a linksys router that would disconnect from the ELK IP module. Once I figured out it was the router and not ELK, i changed over to Netgear routers and have had NO issues since. I personally installed both ELK's and it was very easy. All existing wired sensors (magnetic, motion, fire and Co2) were compatible. I added a bunch of wireless sensors and have never had a false alarm from any. Takes some time to get used to the ELK RP software, but Google Advanced Search will almost always find you an answer in getting the settings correct. Then you can control all ELK settings and commands through the ELK RP software. ELK talks nicely to MainLobby, although I do it through ISY and not through MainLobby's security plugin. Example: when I set the alarm, ELK tells ISY to turn out specified lights and MainLobby lighting scenes update. Vice versa when I disarm. If I set ELK to Vacation, lights go on and off randomly, and thermostats are adjusted.

It's a big project to do the install, but overall a fun one if you like to have your hands on the end product.

How are you doing random? ELK, nor ISY, support random. As far as I know, only HomeSeer supports random.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:44 pm

ISY has a command for random through programs. Programs->Action->Wait->Random (tick).

Random II.JPG

Random I.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Random

Postby Oronomus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:48 am

MainLobby also has a random feature in the Math function. Here is an example command I use:

Math|Random~music_playlist_random~3~19!Pause|.8!

This enables MusicLobby to open and start a random playlist between 3 and 9. Maybe you could use this somehow in the ML Security app.

Return to “Home Automation”