HA Controller Feedback

Place to post your ideas and questions on how to integrate Cinemar's software in a Home Automation System (lighting, security, hvac, etc.)
froaye

HA Controller Feedback

Postby froaye » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:22 pm

My Caddx/X10 Security Panel took a crap today (I think). I've been thinking of upgrading to either Elk M1 Gold or HAI Omni IIe. I currently run ML3, DVDL3, MLS3, HomeSeer2, and some X10.

Which of the 2 above controllers make sense from a cost/performance, ease of integration point of view? I'm also moving to Insteon. I'd like to simplify my setup with fewer pieces of software to maintain also. If there is some other HA controller i should be considering please comment (I'm keeping all my Cinemar stuff though :-).

Thanks in advance.
LB

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Re: HA Controller Feedback

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:49 pm

froaye,

There are 100's of posts on this subject. Both HAI and Elk are popular especially on cocoontech.com. I dont think you will find a survey or poll that shows a CLEAR leader on HAI vs. Elk. I personally use HAI. They are an established company, well funded and leader in the industry. However, Elk is a well respected company as well and has many followers and users that are helpful on both forums.

You really will have to sit down and determine which one you what. Others may chime in and point you to a more clear choice but its likely to be a 50/50 call. I "THINK!!" there has been more done with HAI as far as mainlobby is concerned but thats a GUESS, albeit its been a long haul and not sure if it all cohesive yet. Lets see if others chime in.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:21 pm

"I "THINK!!" there has been more done with HAI as far as mainlobby is concerned but thats a GUESS, albeit its been a long haul and not sure if it all cohesive yet. Lets see if others chime in."

Actually, the ELK was the first system Cinemar Solutions has supported. It was a MUCH easier plugin to write compared to the HAI plugin, which maybe why you got the impression that HAI was better supported.

Right now, I would go with an ELK panel as a DIY'r working with MainLobby.

The HAI protocol has probably been the worst device driver Cinemar has worked with. Insteon is right up there as well :)

Both companies make very good hardware systems. ELK is just a whole lot easier to develop a plugin for.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:05 pm

Well there ya go! Elk it is. :)

Return to “Home Automation”