Lighting???

Place to post your ideas and questions on how to integrate Cinemar's software in a Home Automation System (lighting, security, hvac, etc.)
donburkard
Expert
Expert

Lighting???

Postby donburkard » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:34 pm

What are you guys using for your lighting (insteon, etc.) and what do you think of it. Im just starting to look now for the new house and wanted to get some input. Im leaning towards the insteon stuff but only because its really the only one i know of but if you know of something better please share your knowledge.
Hooked on HighDef

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:56 pm

If Insteon, then ISY-99 hardware is a must. Don't bother with the PLC or the PLM.

There is now a ZWave driver

UPB is another choice.

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:09 pm

Why dont bother with the plc or plm? what dont you like about them?

Which of the three brands do you prefer? and why?

thanks
Hooked on HighDef

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:15 pm

I'd highly recommend UPB. That's what most of our dealers are installing. UPSTART's software is extremely fast and simple to program switches compared to Zwave and Insteon. Insteon has had its fair share of issues...just looking on this and any other forum will provide plenty of information on that. I think some of the kinks have been worked out of Insteon over the years though. I just had a recall on an Insteon PLM and had to reprogram all my switches which is never fun.

The UPB plugin does a great job of importing all your switches and room names right into MLServer from UPSTART. Recently we've added the ability to show you if any lights are on within a room which is really nice for visual feedback on floorplans.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:03 pm

Ok. Im sold. I was just going with Insteon simply because i knew of them and i could easily just run down to the good old home depot and pick stuff up to play with in the mean time. I ordered the smart home catalog so ill look through everything when that comes. Thanks guys. I appreciate it.
Hooked on HighDef

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:32 pm

mcascio wrote:I just had a recall on an Insteon PLM and had to reprogram all my switches which is never fun.

... which is one of MANY reasons why the ISY is the only way to go with Insteon.

I have no basis for comparison between Insteon and UPB; but comparing Insteon with PLC then PLM (and six different control software packages) versus ISY is like comparing a 1980s Toyota to a current Lexus. For example, the above problem is a non-problem with ISY. A central controller for lighting is awesome. The Elk never lived up to what I hoped it would in that capacity; but the Elk plus ISY plus ML is a helluva combo.

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Im confused. From what im getting upb is not a brand, its the type of communication. Does this sound correct? If it is correct, can i use any make that makes upb devices?

Any recomendations where to buy stuff?

Thank you
Hooked on HighDef

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:37 pm

You are almost correct. UPB (Universal Powerline Bus) is a licensed and patented technology around since 2003 and owned by PCS. It is licensed to 6 or so end providers;

PCS's focus on innovation in the lighting control market stems from the invention of the UPB™ (Universal Powerline Bus) technology. Adopted as a communications standard primarily for lighting control, UPB™ can also be applied for Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning, appliance control, and Internet-to-Appliance device communication.

Some of the top choices are PCS, HAI, and Simply Automated. Google them for where to purchase. If you want illuminated buttons, PCS and HAI are the only choices. SA has a good product, but no illumination for some reason.

(Nice airport in Dowingtown.. have flown into there many times!)
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Engerland

Re: Lighting???

Postby Engerland » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:43 pm

Can you let me know your thoughts on what lighting is better for Cinemar in a retrofit situation? I see that the instructions for HAI UPB switches and dimmers cite the yellow control wire. Is this needed at all with Cinemar or are other systems (e.g. Insteon or RadioRA) better in retrofit situations or am I misreading the HAI switch installation? Thanks.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:22 pm

I don't know about the control wire at all, but after a few years of very irritated installation, I haven't had problems with my insteon stuff for at least 2 years since I installed the ISY for programming the lights. ISY has come a long way and there is a cinemar plugin to talk to it. It may be the most powerfull in terms of progromattic scene control. The ISY also works with UPB devices if you get that model and I think the ISY plugin would still work. Might want to check with Bob. Insteon is easy retrofit and much more reliable than some older posts may represent.

Engerland

Postby Engerland » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:38 am

Many thanks for the response. I only need about ~ 12 switches automated so as I am new to this system (Cinemar) I think I will try Insteon and see how that goes.

Return to “Home Automation”