Monitoring an exterior gate

Place to post your ideas and questions on how to integrate Cinemar's software in a Home Automation System (lighting, security, hvac, etc.)
Engerland

Monitoring an exterior gate

Postby Engerland » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:51 pm

I have external gates at my home that I would like to monitor if they are open or closed (so the dogs don't run out if they are left open).

Is there a good way to do this?

How could I also be notified that the gates are open? Could this be achieved though a warning(?) on a touchscreen?

Any ideas would be welcome. I hope you get the idea of what I want to do. The gates are ~10 feet and ~2 feet from an exterior wall.

Scott

Postby Scott » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:10 am

Are these manual or automatic gates? A simple solution is to put a garage door sensor on the gate (magnet and a sensor). Magnet on 1 gate door and sensor on the other. Run a wire from the sensor to the wall and then to some type of device that you can monitor a sensor. Example security system. I believe Z-wave makes a wireless sensor devices that you could use to monitor the gate sensor also.
Scott
InControl

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:42 am

"How could I also be notified that the gates are open? Could this be achieved though a warning(?) on a touchscreen? "

Once the PC is aware of the gate state, anything is possible.

Yes, touchscreen warning, a Text to Voice announcement over whole house audio, a flashing room light, an email sent, etc. are all possible.

Engerland

Postby Engerland » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:03 am

Scott wrote:Are these manual or automatic gates? A simple solution is to put a garage door sensor on the gate (magnet and a sensor). Magnet on 1 gate door and sensor on the other. Run a wire from the sensor to the wall and then to some type of device that you can monitor a sensor. Example security system. I believe Z-wave makes a wireless sensor devices that you could use to monitor the gate sensor also.

Thanks for the replies.

These would be manual gates. If I used a security system to monitor the contact would the contact necessarily have to be armed when arming the system or could it be permanently bypassed?

Scott

Postby Scott » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:18 am

I will take the assumption its an HAI security panel. In that case all you do it put it to auxillary and you can still monitor the zone but it will not set off the security system. What type of security system is it?
Scott

InControl

Engerland

Postby Engerland » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:31 am

Scott wrote:I will take the assumption its an HAI security panel. In that case all you do it put it to auxillary and you can still monitor the zone but it will not set off the security system. What type of security system is it?

None just yet - just thinking of building a system!

Thanks for the reply and the idea to put it into auxiliary.

Return to “Home Automation”