Z-Wave swith Where to buy?

Place to post your ideas and questions on how to integrate Cinemar's software in a Home Automation System (lighting, security, hvac, etc.)
skynandi

Z-Wave swith Where to buy?

Postby skynandi » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Hi!
I have to buy 30+ zwave switches in ALMOND color.
The only thing i found (in almond) is the ViziaRF
which is quite expensive 70-90$ each.
I wanted to get the Intermatic switch which is around 40-50$
but it doesn't comes in Almond.
Where do you guys get your Zwave products?
Thank You!

MikeKade

Z-Wave Recommendation

Postby MikeKade » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:19 pm

I have installed over 70 Z-Wave switches in my home. I started with Homeseer, switched to Intermatic and finally, the Vizio switch.

I believe totally in the Vizio switch. It is MUCH more expensive, but I have had absolutely no problems with them. The other switches had over a 50% failure rate (in two months time). I have had less than a 5% failure rate with the Vizio switch. Additionally, the Vizio switch feels like a quality product. The other switches felt cheap. By this, I mean that the buttons were "squishy" and loose feeling. This feels like a quality switch.

On a separate note, are you listening Mario? I sure would like a Z-Wave add-in to the ML Lighting plugin. I only use Homeseer for the Z-Wave and would like to get rid of this software in order to talk with Z-Wave natively from MainLobby.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:36 pm

MikeKade, the ZWave plugin is close to a beta. The developer keeps getting sidetracked with professional services work that keeps this one from seeing the light of day.

Is your chopper pic full scale or a model? can't tell with the small pic. I used to fly a Schlueter Champion (model - .60) years ago. Still have it a a few others that I hope to have time to dink with.

MikeKade

Z-Wave

Postby MikeKade » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:09 am

Thanks for the reply... I look forward to seeing the plugin... If you need experienced beta testers, please let me know.

As to the helicopter... This is real and not a model. In addition to being an OS Programmer for various computer companies for the last 30 years, I have been a helicopter flight instructor for over 15 years. I gave up teaching basic helicopter many years ago (my heart couldn't stand it). I now only teach advanced in turbines (either single or twin engine). This is one of my favorite helicopters (the MD 600). It is an extremely easy to fly single engine. It's twin engine counterpart is the MD 900 (another great machine to fly).

Cheers...

skynandi

Postby skynandi » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:19 am

Thank You! I'll go with the Vizio then. Where did you buy yours?

MikeKade

Z-Wave

Postby MikeKade » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:55 am

I bought mine at www.homeseer.com. I know, I know... They primarily sell the Homeseer software for automation. However, they also have the best selection of Z-Wave switches at the best prices.

Mike

skynandi

Postby skynandi » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:20 am

Thank You! I added everything up 66 switches came out to 3289$ ouch :D
I also love to see the Zwave plug in included in Main Lobby.
I wouldn't need to by homseer.
Thanks again Mike!

MikeKade

Z-Wave

Postby MikeKade » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:57 am

One final thing that I forgot to add.

The Vizio switches are the easiest to install because they use quick connect. Just snip the wires on the old switches, strip about 1/2 inch of insulation and stick the wire into the quick connect on the Vizio switch.

Do remember to use a ground wire!! I didn't do this for the first couple of switches as the ground wire was not used on my old switch. In fact, it was hidden in the back of the box and quite hard to get to.

Well, carpeting and static electricity will completely blow out these and other types of switches that have intelligent circuits in them. Poof!! $70 dollars down the toilet!

coffee_addict

Re: Z-Wave

Postby coffee_addict » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:28 pm

MikeKade wrote:I bought mine at www.homeseer.com. I know, I know... They primarily sell the Homeseer software for automation. However, they also have the best selection of Z-Wave switches at the best prices.

Mike

I just bought a bunch of vizia-rf from www.lashen.com
they were the cheapest I could find
they didn't have them in stock but were able to get them drop-shipped from a leviton warehouse.

Of course I haven't actually received them yet so I can't yet comment on a complete buying experience

coffee_addict

Postby coffee_addict » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:33 pm

smoothtlk wrote:MikeKade, the ZWave plugin is close to a beta. The developer keeps getting sidetracked with professional services work that keeps this one from seeing the light of day.

Smooth,
Count me in as well as a more than willing beta tester on this plugin - I'm a software eng with lots of testing experience, plus I'm very motivated to run this particular plugin through its paces

-Tom

coffee_addict

Re: Z-Wave

Postby coffee_addict » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:45 pm

coffee_addict wrote:
MikeKade wrote:I bought mine at www.homeseer.com. I know, I know... They primarily sell the Homeseer software for automation. However, they also have the best selection of Z-Wave switches at the best prices.

Mike

I just bought a bunch of vizia-rf from www.lashen.com
they were the cheapest I could find
they didn't have them in stock but were able to get them drop-shipped from a leviton warehouse.

Of course I haven't actually received them yet so I can't yet comment on a complete buying experience

Just got these yesterday - everything looks good - straight from the leviton warehouse!

skynandi

Postby skynandi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:23 pm

Any update on the z-wave plug in?

Return to “Home Automation”