Anyone tried Intel NUC as media player?

Place to post your ideas and questions on how to integrate Cinemar's software in a Home Automation System (lighting, security, hvac, etc.)
Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Anyone tried Intel NUC as media player?

Postby Oronomus » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:55 am

Looks like a few people here are using Intel NUC as media player, correct? Recommendations or complaints? Trying to see what is the cheapest reliable configuration (and accessories) required to play-back blu-ray feeds, Netflix, Amazon, etc.. At quick glance looks like an i5 with Intel 5000 graphics should work great. Can I go with I3 instead? Also wonder if anyone has tried Android on Intel as an alternative to Windows. https://01.org/android-ia. Can you install Android without first having a Windows install aboard?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone tried Intel NUC as media player?

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:50 am

I have a 1st gen Intel NUC i3 and it works great as a media player and MLServer. Using Media Player Classic Home Cinema for Movie playback and normal IE for Netflix and Amazon. The current generation i5 NUCs make outstanding MLServers and Media Players.

I also have a android based Minix Neo X7 and it too makes works great. However the limitations are that you need Plex or a DLNA Media server for Movie playback and you lose Netflix and Amazon integration. The Roku 3 is another possibility if you want to put Plex into the mix.

We are working on our own DLNA Media server but I sill have a fair amount of work to do on that before it can be released.

ellisr63

Postby ellisr63 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:07 pm

I am running a i3NUC for my normal PC/HA controller (running Photoshop, JRiver, XBMC, Plex Server, and Cinemar), a second i3NUC for a media server running XBMC, and a 3rd Celeron NUC (yet to be setup) as a XBMC media Server. I love them! It is so nice to have a dead silent pc that only consumes 25 watts max and idles around 1 or 2 watts. I stream 1080p movies while at the same time recording up to 4 streams of HDTV from my HDHomerun Dual Tuners. I store all my media on a UnRaid NAS that is running on a Atom processor. They are a little pricey but they save on space, and energy... No negatives at all from me about them.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Ron - I will say it again - It is good to have you around. I look forward to some of the methods and devices that I am sure you will come up with.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:54 am

I have five of them. I use the i5 models for HTPCs. No loss, no jitter, no out of sync voices.

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:34 am

Using an I5 here as well. Works perfectly..... If you get one note that they use a Mini HDMI connection......

Return to “Home Automation”