Weather Alerts not working

Please post general questions about WeatherLobby here
simonmason
Expert
Expert

Weather Alerts not working

Postby simonmason » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm not getting weather alerts in WeatherLobby since moving to ML4. Everything else is working (except the issue with the browser/radar). I know the alerts are there because my homeseer server checks separately and they are coming through - same zip code. I didn't have logging enabled for WeatherLobby so I have turned that on. Hopefully we will get another warning tonight and I can see if there are any errors.
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weather Alerts not working

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:52 am

Let me know what zip code you are using and I'll monitor that zip code here.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 am

I got a dense fog alert this morning. MainLobby is not showing any warnings. For what it's worth my homeseer alert system is also misbehaving. It is sending out three copies of the alert. The two have nothing to do with each other so this is leading me to believe something is up at the weather source. I am digging through the really old code in homeseer to see what is going on there.
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 am

Actually I am seeing 2 alerts in WeatherLobby for you right now. The Dense Fog alert and the Flash Flood watch. So it is working. Are you using the V4 WeatherLobby scenes?

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:12 am

I believe I am. What variable holds the alert information - I could check that to confirm that MLServer is getting the information?
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:19 pm

You have to make sure that the zip code with the alert is the active weather City. Then {{weather_alert_count}} will hold the number of alerts. You can see the alerts in the xml data file that is getting downloaded. Open the USNJ0084.xml file that is in the MLServer\Data folder in Notepad. You'll see the WeatherAlerts section towards the bottom of the document.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 pm

I am seeing the alerts - see below. But weather_alert_count is 0. I have three locations setup, 07928 is the first and default.

<WeatherAlerts>
<Alert CountyFips="34027" StateAbbr="NJ" Type="Flash Flood Watch" StartTime="13:01:30:23:00:00" EndTime="13:01:31:11:00:00" Headline="Flash Flood Watch" Bulletin="DEZ001-MDZ008-NJZ001-007&gt;010-012-015-PAZ054-055-060&gt;062-070-071-&#xA;101&gt;106-302130-&#xA;/O.EXT.KPHI.FF.A.0001.130130T2300Z-130131T1100Z/&#xA;/00000.0.IC.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/&#xA;NEW CASTLE-CECIL-SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-&#xA;MIDDLESEX-MERCER-CARBON-MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-DELAWARE-&#xA;PHILADELPHIA-WESTERN CHESTER-EASTERN CHESTER-WESTERN MONTGOMERY-&#xA;EASTERN MONTGOMERY-UPPER BUCKS-LOWER BUCKS-&#xA;INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...ELKTON...NEWTON...&#xA;WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...&#xA;NEW BRUNSWICK...TRENTON...JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG...READING...&#xA;ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...EASTON...MEDIA...PHILADELPHIA...&#xA;HONEY BROOK...OXFORD...WEST CHESTER...KENNET SQUARE...&#xA;COLLEGEVILLE...POTTSTOWN...NORRISTOWN...LANSDALE...CHALFONT...&#xA;PERKASIE...MORRISVILLE...DOYLESTOWN&#xA;427 AM EST WED JAN 30 2013&#xA;&#xA;...FLASH FLOOD WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE&#xA;TONIGHT...&#xA;&#xA;THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FOR&#xA;&#xA;* PORTIONS OF NORTHERN DELAWARE...NORTHEAST MARYLAND...NORTHWEST&#xA; NEW JERSEY AND MUCH OF EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA...INCLUDING THE&#xA; FOLLOWING AREAS...IN NORTHERN DELAWARE...NEW CASTLE. IN&#xA; NORTHEAST MARYLAND...CECIL. IN NEW&#xA; JERSEY...HUNTERDON...MERCER...MIDDLESEX...MORRIS...&#xA; SOMERSET...SUSSEX AND WARREN. IN PENNSYLVANIA...BERKS...&#xA; CARBON...DELAWARE...EASTERN CHESTER...EASTERN MONTGOMERY...&#xA; LEHIGH...LOWER BUCKS...MONROE...NORTHAMPTON...PHILADELPHIA...&#xA; UPPER BUCKS...WESTERN CHESTER AND WESTERN MONTGOMERY.&#xA;&#xA;* FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE TONIGHT&#xA;&#xA;* A POWERFUL STORM DEVELOPING IN THE GREAT LAKES REGION THIS&#xA; AFTERNOON WILL PRODUCE SCATTERED HEAVY BUT FAST MOVING SHOWERS&#xA; IN OUR AREA TONIGHT. A SUBSTANTIAL SQUALL LINE WILL PROBABLY&#xA; CROSS THE AREA BETWEEN 10 PM AND 2 AM AND THUNDERSTORMS MAY BE&#xA; EMBEDDED IN THIS LINE.&#xA;&#xA;* ANY PROLONGED HEAVY DOWNPOURS WOULD CAUSE FLASH FLOODING IN SOME&#xA; LOCATIONS. FROZEN GROUND IN NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA AND NORTHWEST&#xA; NEW JERSEY AND THE POTENTIAL FOR ICE JAMS ADDS TO THE FLASH FLOOD&#xA; POTENTIAL...AS DOES SOME REMAINING SNOW MELT. POOR DRAINAGE ROAD&#xA; FLOODING IS LIKELY.&#xA;&#xA;PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...&#xA;&#xA;A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP THAT LEAD&#xA;TO FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION.&#xA;&#xA;YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION&#xA;SHOULD FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS BE ISSUED.&#xA;&#xA;&amp;&amp;&#xA;&#xA;$$&#xA;&#xA;&#xA;" Url="" Category="" Urgency="" Severity="" Certainty="" GeographicName="Morris (New Jersey)" StateName="New Jersey" CountyName="Morris" />
<Alert CountyFips="34027" StateAbbr="NJ" Type="Wind Advisory" StartTime="13:01:30:23:00:00" EndTime="13:01:31:08:00:00" Headline="Wind Advisory" Bulletin="DEZ001-NJZ001-007&gt;010-015-PAZ054-055-060&gt;062-070-071-101&gt;106-&#xA;310200-&#xA;/O.CON.KPHI.WI.Y.0001.130130T2300Z-130131T0800Z/&#xA;NEW CASTLE-SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MERCER-CARBON-&#xA;MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-&#xA;WESTERN CHESTER-EASTERN CHESTER-WESTERN MONTGOMERY-&#xA;EASTERN MONTGOMERY-UPPER BUCKS-LOWER BUCKS-&#xA;INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...&#xA;MORRISTOWN...FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...TRENTON...JIM THORPE...&#xA;STROUDSBURG...READING...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...EASTON...MEDIA...&#xA;PHILADELPHIA...HONEY BROOK...OXFORD...WEST CHESTER...&#xA;KENNET SQUARE...COLLEGEVILLE...POTTSTOWN...NORRISTOWN...&#xA;LANSDALE...CHALFONT...PERKASIE...MORRISVILLE...DOYLESTOWN&#xA;1250 PM EST WED JAN 30 2013&#xA;&#xA;...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 3 AM&#xA;EST THURSDAY...&#xA;&#xA;* LOCATIONS...EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA AND NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY.&#xA;&#xA;* TIMING AND WINDS...SOUTHERLY WINDS WILL GUST BETWEEN 45 AND 50 &#xA; MPH NEAR AND JUST AHEAD OF A SQUALL LINE SOMETIME BETWEEN 9 PM &#xA; AND 2 AM TONIGHT .&#xA;&#xA;* IMPACTS...SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES ARE EXPECTED FROM POCKETS OF &#xA; BROKEN TREE LIMBS ASSOCIATED WITH THE STRONG WINDS.&#xA;&#xA;PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...&#xA;&#xA;MOTORISTS SHOULD USE EXTRA CAUTION...ESPECIALLY THOSE IN HIGH&#xA;PROFILE VEHICLES. LIGHT-WEIGHT OUTDOOR OBJECTS SUCH AS PATIO&#xA;FURNITURE AND GARBAGE CANS SHOULD BE SECURED.&#xA;&#xA;&amp;&amp;&#xA;&#xA;$$&#xA;&#xA;&#xA;&#xA;&#xA;" Url="" Category="" Urgency="" Severity="" Certainty="" GeographicName="Morris (New Jersey)" StateName="New Jersey" CountyName="Morris" />
</WeatherAlerts>
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:26 pm

That's what I have now and I'm still seeing two alerts. Without remoting in I cannot guess why it won't work for you.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:34 pm

I PM'd the logmein information if you have chance to look. Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:35 pm

I actually am seeing the same issue. If I change locations, the alert count is 0 but there are alert text in the other variables... Only when I restart ML server do I see the alert variable populate.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:21 pm

The weather forecast is only updated for the city that WeatherLobby thinks is the "CurrentLocation". The CurrentLocation is set whenever someone issues a Weather|Active~<<id>> type command. So the alerts are only gathered for the last city that someone on some client selected. You may be looking at City X on Client A, but on Client B someone selected City Y. The displays can get out of sync. You may want to modify the startup macro on your WebLobby scenes to always do a Weather|Active~<<your local city id>> to make sure you always start off by looking at the weather you want to see.

The long term solution to this is to create new weather server variables that are based on location ID and not tied to any {{clientname}}. That way all weather variables for all defined cities would always be available. This is something we will consider.

Return to “WeatherLobby Questions & Answers”