3.9.029 still outstanding?

Please post general questions about WeatherLobby here
oaserani

3.9.029 still outstanding?

Postby oaserani » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Dave --
Radar seems to have stopped working. I believe it was working in the previous version. The radar.html file in \\MLSERVER\MLSERVER\HTML hasn't changed, and neither have the clinet screens. Did intellicast change something?

Ski conditions is still not showing anything

Tides is now working (not sure if it's attributable to this version or not)

Pollen is stil not working

Orlando

mattdb

Re: 3.9.029 still outstanding?

Postby mattdb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:09 pm

oaserani wrote:Dave --
Radar seems to have stopped working. I believe it was working in the previous version. The radar.html file in \\MLSERVER\MLSERVER\HTML hasn't changed, and neither have the clinet screens. Did intellicast change something?

Ski conditions is still not showing anything

Tides is now working (not sure if it's attributable to this version or not)

Pollen is stil not working

Orlando

My radar is also not working.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:39 am

My radar also is non-op. They must have changed the code or something. Tides work, Snow never worked in my area even though I live in close proximity to many ski destinations, Pollen works but only in the Spring and summer. I have also had strange results for the overnight icons. Around here, the sun never comes out at night! Many of the maps do not work, or only work at times, which drives the server nuts and wastes valuable resources.

All of this I believe has nothing to do with Cinemar, but the provider. I guess for as bad and restrictive as the weather channel was, we did not know how good we had it. The shame is with all the time and money spent on this revised driver, this is what we end up with. Once more, at no fault to Cinemar.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:48 am

I gave up trying to get animated weather gifs with WL for 2 reasons

1) ML Server came to a crawl during map updates
2) Map updates were unpredictable at best - sometimes, I would see a blank map, sometimes not

To solve these 2 problems, I just wrote my own HTML code and inserted a web lobby object on my map scene - works great, I got a nice sequencing map solution too - I setup an html webpage file for each map I wanted to display and have the first map call (via a redirect) the second one in 30 seconds, the second map redirects to the third and so on - the last map calls the first one completing the loop. I removed page headers and footers so it snaps to the object - and resize the images to have no white space. Make your web object as large as you specify the image in the code.

But, there is one issue - you have to turn off sound navigation start in the sound control panel or you will hear a clicking sound on your computer every time the new map is displayed.

What I like about the html route is that the maps are on demand - there are no ML resources being wasted getting maps, processing animated gifs, etc. - updating the maps every X minutes when no clients are looking at weather was a big peeve of mine - I am browsing DVD's and every 10 minutes, I would get nasty pauses when the maps were updated. And, my html solution is on demand, they are the most up-to-date maps available when they are displayed. Not a copy. Since the redirect reloads the map, they are always updated without ML resources.

If anyone wants to play, grab the enclosed files and simply change the map in the URL in the HTML code to your desired map and you are good to go....

Another tip is I went to sites I liked and viewed the page source of those sites to get the map I wanted (the URL) - that is how I got the maps in my code.

Note I am not an HTML guru so it may be sloppy but it works great
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:39 am

Great job and I will definitely try it out.

I could not agree more. I am running MLS on a very beefy quad processor server with a ton of memory and it literally comes to a craw on every map download. I gets so bad that other lookups from touchscreens are not usable.
Last edited by DaveB on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:32 am

Rileydog,

Kudos to you for being so inventive! I love it when users take the initiative and find better solutions. Even better ... when you share your work.
Excellent and simple enough for even "HTML - challenged" like myself.

Thank You.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks for the thanks! I would like to see more users post "how I solved X" because I am sure there are a lot of solutions out there and posting solutions spur more action.

Return to “WeatherLobby Questions & Answers”