Map issues

Please post general questions about WeatherLobby here
rileydog
Expert
Expert

Map issues

Postby rileydog » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:49 pm

2 issues with maps and the latest MLWeatherLobby

1) Many maps do not have a _url variable created - see the enclosed jpg - I don't know the magic but many of my maps do not have a _url variable created but all other variables for that map are created. The map does exist in the images folder so it is only the variable not there. I can open the map in the images folder and it looks fine. Note map 720 has a URL varialbe and 733 and 762 do not.

2) Animated maps are only working on a forced update - if the automated "update every X minutes" runs, the animated map is blank - the map is resotred when I force update from the plugin - see map #354 for an example.

Thanks for the help,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Re: Map issues

Postby rileydog » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:15 am

To update the map issues:

I see the animates are updating (I still think there is something there - at times, it doesn't) but the problem with my maps is the _url variable is still not working - meaning, the _url variable contains the map + ?##### which I assume is the cached map - I get blank maps this way - the only way I could work around the issue was to reference the map as a fixed http request and not use the cached version - then, it works.

So, I have to show http://computer..../images/mlweather/map{{mlweather_activemap}}.jpg in order to properly display maps - simply using the _url variable doesn't work.

However, this leads to another problem in that some maps are swf's so I have 2 JPloaders on top of each other, one that ends in .swf and one that ends in .jpg - since it will only be one or the other it seems to be working but it would be much easier to have the _url variable properly populated so I can just use that.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:51 pm

I noticed .15 out there, installed it and also noticed that the variable being populated is _map_###_url and not map###_ like all the other variables (all variables to the map is map###_ and not map_###_. Once I changed the variable to reference {{mlweather_map_{{mlweather_active_map}}_url}} it seemed to fix my map problems. The scenes in the download reference variable {{mlweather_map{{mlweather_active_map}}_url}} which doesn't work... missing one of the "_"

Anyhow, I am set for now - may want to fix this in the next version

JaySway

Postby JaySway » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Rileydog,

I noticed the same thing - the library 28 advanced weather screens reference {{mlweather_map{{mlweather_active_map}}_url}}, also.

I'm curious to see if you have the same experience with Animated maps that I did. After a day or so, my MLWorker will become flodded with an endless command queue if I have even one animated map selected in Weather Lobby. Could you let me know if you see similar behavior?

Thanks,
Jay

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:19 pm

Wow - you are correct - mlworker is being hammered dealing with all maps, not just the animated gifs - I have my maps setup to update every hour and the log is a constant stream of map updates - in another post, Mario said Dave is aware so lets hope the next update settles it down. Thanks.

JaySway

Postby JaySway » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm so glad to know it's not just me! The thread I had with this issue died with no response so maybe this will help! What I had to do (regretfully) is change all of the animated maps back to static. This immediately clears up the issue. Turning on just one animated map will (albeit somewhat slowly) send MLWorker into a tizz.

Thanks for the feedback,
Jay

cadillackid

Postby cadillackid » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:32 pm

how do I check for this issue? this might be part of the reason my system is VERY sluggish when weatherlobby is turned on
-Christopher

JaySway

Postby JaySway » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:09 pm

Right click on the MLWorker agent icon (bottom right of your taskbar) and choose restore. If the map issue is your problem you'll see that the command queue area of MLWorker will be full of map-related commands that never clear out. Make sure you are on the "setup" and not the "events" tab. Having a list of items in Events is fine... but a list in command queue that never clears could certainly cause a sluggish mlserver. It degrades my performance beyond the point of usable....

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:59 pm

How many maps are you guys trying to load? The jpg / swf issues are resolved with the next release but be aware there is a lot of work, CPU wise, to download and convert the maps, especially the animated maps. You should try to keep the number of maps below 20. How many maps can you look at anyway?

JaySway

Postby JaySway » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:57 am

JaySway wrote:Turning on just one animated map will (albeit somewhat slowly) send MLWorker into a tizz.

Is this the jpg swf issue that is being fixed?

In my case one animated map in the list is all it would take to cause a major issue. I have never had a large number of maps total, fifteen probably being the max.
Last edited by JaySway on Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:53 am

I only have 1 animated map and 10 others selected - I update every hour...

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:00 am

Can I make a suggestion?

I only have 1 map on my home page - the animated map. I have 10 others in my map scene

Given the processing required, why not make a command to update?

MLWeather|UpdateMap~All could update all the selected maps, or

MLWeather|UpdateMap~### could update a single map # (# could be map number or better yet, the # in the series of selected maps)

Then, I can setup my own schedule to update and only update the home page map often(or even on demand) and update the others only when I go to the map scene.

cadillackid

Postby cadillackid » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:36 pm

I second the idea of only updating certain maps at certain times... such as animated radar i want to update that as frequently as I can but things like temp forecast I could get by with say every 2 or 3 hours.. current temps map every 1 hour, etc..

in my system it is the jpg2swf that is HAMMERING my CPU...
-Christopher

Return to “WeatherLobby Questions & Answers”