028 Knock Offs

Add visual flare to your interface with our professionally designed GuiGraphix Libraries.
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

028 Knock Offs

Postby ronsatter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would try applying the new 0028 look to some of my 0026 scenes in anticipation of the merge of the two packages. Here are a few of the scenes so far.

Many thanks to Margaret Holden for her excellent design work!

Home Scene.jpg

Weather.jpg

10.Weather Map Index.jpg

10.Weather Map Large.jpg

Music Search.jpg

Music Browse.jpg

Music Album.jpg

XM Radio.jpg

News.jpg

Horoscope.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ronsatter on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: 028 Knock Offs

Postby DaveB » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Ron;

Hell of a departure from RED!! Looks great so far. I am also in the process of making the 0028 package a full control package. I need much more than media only similar to you. I was looking at making the Gallery scene the primary, but it simply will be too many clicks to get something done. I use the three click rule - any more than three, and you have a bad interface design.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:41 pm

Ron;
Are you still using MLMenu?
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:20 pm

DaveB wrote:Ron;
Are you still using MLMenu?

Yes. I know it has it's problems, but I keep it simple ... so far it works for my needs. I don't seem to have any major issues with it. Now that I have said that here in the forum, I have to go now and back up my MLMenu data file.

I was looking at making the Gallery scene the primary, but it simply will be too many clicks to get something done.

There's no way around it, unless you make a menu system available on the first scene, you are wasting time ... unless of course, you use voice commands to navigate. 8) The 0028 gallery scene is a great screen saver scene.Thats how I intend to use it.

I agree with the "3 click" rule for menu navigation. It's a good rule to go by. It forces you to design your scene layout in a coherent pattern which is consistent for the user.

As far as scene color palettes, the advantage of using monochrome or "color-neutral" backgrounds ... like blacks and grays ... is that all images in color really stand out. That makes a scene very "eye-popping" if done correctly. That's the theory ... and I'm sticking to it!

Ron

ricks

Postby ricks » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:39 pm

Hey Ron,

Love the new scenes. I've always been partial to the blacks and grays for the very reason you mention. At the top of your pages I'm assuming that those are video cam shots of your house. Do you find that 4 live video shots really eat up the cpu? Is the one on the left mounted in your mailbox?

Rick

PS. You never fail to amaze me with your music collection!!! You must have ripped those from LP's cuz no company could have published those CD's... 8)

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:03 am

ricks wrote:At the top of your pages I'm assuming that those are video cam shots of your house. Do you find that 4 live video shots really eat up the cpu?

I use a dedicated security dvr device for the cams and bring them into ML with a 4 port video card with lots of CPU processing built into the card.

You never fail to amaze me with your music collection!!! You must have ripped those from LP's cuz no company could have published those CD's...

As you may have guessed, I'm older than dirt. I forget that my music collection should be a museum exhibit somewhere. I'm hoping to turn the youngsters in the forum on to artists like "Cab Calloway". I love the album covers too. It's a collection all of its own!

Ron

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby T.Wells » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:36 am

ronsatter wrote:Hi Everyone,

I thought I would try applying the new 0028 look to some of my 0026 scenes in anticipation of the merge of the two packages.

Ron,

The scenes look great!

The packages are going to merge? I did not see this. I am in the process of re-doing all my scenes to the 0026 package and you have me thinking that I should maybe hold off some ...

-T.Wells

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks TW,

Perhaps Mario can give us an update, but I do believe that there was some discussion in the thread somewhere. People who own both 0026 and 0028 packages are asking if 0028 will eventually include more than just "media control" scenes, ie scenes from the 0026 package. I may stand corrected, but I remember a nod from Mario that it's "In The Queue". No arrival date ... but I believe Margaret is working on it.

Ron

PS - The screen shots of the scenes above are NOT a preview of anything Cinemar may be designing. In fact, I'm 100% positive that any revisions to 0028 won't look anything like my designs. I just wanted to post my scenes to give those in the forum who like to design their own scenes some ideas.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:07 pm

The way I understand that - they will not merge. Margaret is designing full control scenes based on the 0028 design that will be available as an add on package to the media base 0028 package. In the end, the 0028 package will cost about the same as the existing full 0026 package and provide nearly the same features. She did say that the main Gallery scene will always be the primary scene, which is something I plan to change immediately. The gallery scene in my setup will be a screen saver like Ron mentioned. Remember always the 3 click rule! :lol:

Go to Margaret s site to see the scene drops.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:13 pm

ronsatter wrote:
DaveB wrote:Ron;

As far as scene color palettes, the advantage of using monochrome or "color-neutral" backgrounds ... like blacks and grays ... is that all images in color really stand out. That makes a scene very "eye-popping" if done correctly. That's the theory ... and I'm sticking to it!

Ron

I actually always avoided black - hated it in my designs; That was until I did that large project in Vancouver BC. The owner loved black for its neutrality and for much the same reason you mention; all other colors pop out. It must be done correctly with high quality graphics, but my backdrop for example is a photo I took of a great piece of black slate, with slight color shading. Everything on top of that pops on the scene.

Maybe someday, someone will take on the MLMenu project. It was a great start and could be a great success if only there were enough money and time...
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:49 pm

DaveB wrote:Maybe someday, someone will take on the MLMenu project. It was a great start and could be a great success if only there were enough money and time...

If only there were a "Clunker Program" for unfinished plugins... 8)

Ron

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:42 pm

Yea somthing like "can I turn 10 in for 1 complete product?" Actually that is not fair but funny! =D>
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:40 pm

I added two more screen shots of my new theme to the pics above.

1. MUL and XM Radio fully integrated ... working interactively with AMG data lookup

2. MLRSS feeds for news stories ... browse headlines or full web stories while listening to MUL or XM Radio (always visible in lower right panel area)

Photo Lobby coming ...

Ron

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:07 pm

OK at some point, you need to tell me how you managed to incorporate the XM feed with AMG....I may actually go buy the driver after looking at that...
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:29 pm

DaveB

It's really just a little MUL command "slight-of-hand" which will fetch artist bio, similar albums and album reviews based on the now playing XM artist ... if you already have that artist in your MUL library.

It substitutes the {{xmcurrentartist}} variable for the MUL variable {{music_currentartistid_{{music_activemusicsourcenumber_{{clientname}}}}}} in the MUL GetArtistBio command:

Code: Select all

MLMusicLobby|{{music_activemusicsourcenumber_{{clientname}}}}~GetArtistBio~{{music_currentartistid_{{music_activemusicsourcenumber_{{clientname}}}}}}!

And similarly for the GetSimilarAlbums and GetAlbumReview commands.

It is totally dependent on your existing MUL artist data and will not retrieve XM song IDtags or album art independently.

Sorry if my post misled anyone.

I use MLConditional to check to see if the artist exists in MUL and couple it with a server rule to trigger the macro when the xm artist changes. I created an "auto/manual mode" so the info can be displayed automatically with every XM song change if desired. Some filtering is required because the XM artist meta data varies with different XM channels.

It's a bit "Rube Goldberg" ... but it gets some extra mileage from the AMG subscription if you own both MUL and XMLobby plugins.

Ron

Return to “GuiGraphix Libraries”