Moving MLServer to another computer

Discuss topics related to the plugins and uses for MLServer beta
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Moving MLServer to another computer

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:32 am

We prefer Windows 7 64 bit but Windows 8.1 will work just fine too as long as you take the extra steps to enable administrator access.

Follow these steps.

On the old computer.
1) From MLServer issue a system backup.
2) When the backup finishes shut down the server.
3) Copy the entire Program Files\Cinemar folder to a safe place on the network.

On the new computer
1) Install the V4 MLInstaller.
2) Install SQL server and the .net prerequisites
3) Install MLServer
4) Copy the database backup created above into the MLServer\Backups folder. It will be the file named Cinemar_db...
5) Start MLServer
6) From MLServer do a database restore selecting the backup file you just put in the backups folder
7) When the restore is done shut down MLServer.
8) Install your remaining App, Driver and legacy plugins.
9) Copy the entire contents of the saved copy of the MLServer\Images, MLServer\HTML, MLServer\Data folders from your saved copy into the new equivalent folders.
10) Restart MLServer then go into licensing and delete ALL the old ACTIVATION codes. Close licensing and restart MLServer. Verify everything is running in 30 day trial mode.
11) Issue a new activation request for all your licensed products.

If you are a using the MainLobby Flash client then you will also have to restore the contents of the saved \Cinemar folder to the new Cinemar folder to make sure you get your old content folders and MainLobby ini files.

It sounds like a lot of work but it is only takes a few minutes. If there are any issues along the way I'm here to assist.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:54 pm

I just noticed that some of the installed programs on my new setup have been placed in the Program Files directory and not the Program Files (x86) directory. When I install Mlserver is pointing the V4MLServer share at the 64 bit directory. Also, there is a MLserver directory under the 64 bit Program Files directory and beneath this is an SQL directory which appears to be a duplicate of the sol directory in the 32 bit folders. There isn't much else in the directory except some basic images and stuff under the hamlet directory. I reran the Mlserver install to see if it would fix the share but no dice. Should I fix this manually?
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:58 am

If you install the 64 bit version of the SQL Database installer you will see a Program Files\Cinemar\MLServer\SQL folder being created. Nothing else should ever get installed there. Everything must reside in the Program Files (x86)\Cinemar\MLServer folder. You can delete the Program Files\Cinemar folder.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:32 pm

I didn't intentionally install the 64 bit SQL. I will back up the Cinemar directory and then remove it. I am guessing I should manually reassign the mlshare as it keeps pointing to the 64 bit Cinemar directory? Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:48 pm

the V4MLServer share NEEDS to point to the Program Files (x86)\Cinemar\MLServer folder.

Return to “MLServer Questions & Answers”