Command Maps

Discuss topics related to the plugins and uses for MLServer beta
erikhimber
Expert
Expert

Command Maps

Postby erikhimber » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Dave,

starting to have trouble with command maps in MLS 3.75.213, I don't know if it just started or has been happening.

Some times when editing or adding a command, either a single command or part of a category, I'll lose commands in that same category, or commands will get re-named. Why would this happen??

It becomes quite annoying, because I don't usually notice it until something does'nt work.
Erik

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Re: Command Maps

Postby bigDvette » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:53 pm

This has been a problem for quite a while. I have had this happen to me for the last 2 years for sure. Most of the time it is when you copy a macro (or) when you are repeatedly editing commands. I've noticed if I slow down it helps and don't run around double clicking to edit, but instead select the item and click the edit button.

erikhimber
Expert
Expert

Postby erikhimber » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks bigD,
I'll try to slow down, and I do double click, I'll stop that as well.
Erik

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:36 pm

Oh Boy ... #-o This has been one of my sore points for years.

1. First of all, be sure to make a backup copy of your "Commands" database file on a regular basis. You'll find it in the MLServer folder, usually a typical file path of C:\Program Files\MLServer. It has saved me countless hours of work over the years.

2. If you do lose a command, you can edit the backup database file with a program like "MDBPlus". It's free and easy to use. Allows you to view all the commands in the database and copy the contents of any command. You can then create a new command in MLServer and paste in the contents from the backup.

Traps to avoid:

When you select a command with the checkmark in the list, and choose "Copy Selected Command and Edit", some bugs are waiting to bite you.

If you decide you really don't want to edit the newly opened copy of the selected command, and just choose "Cancel", you may lose the original command which you had checkmarked for copying. It doesn't happen all the time, but does happen .. as many users have discovered the hard way!

My procedure is to always rename the duplicate command and save it immediately. Confirm that the newly named command shows up in the list next to the original. Uncheck the original command, then open the newly named copy, edit the macro and save after the editing is completed.

3. Watch those checkmarks. It's very easy to overlook commands which are checkmarked in a long list of commands. I have accidentally deleted good commands along with the one I intended to delete, because I didn't notice I had other commands checkmarked.

Again, file backup is a life-saver for me. I often have to fetch something from the "Commands" or "States" database files.

Hope this helps.

PS. It's also useful to export a group of checkmarked commands to a mini database cmd file. This function is available in MLServer "Command Macros" window (arrow icons). Grouping similar macros and exporting them, ie. "Music Macros", is very useful for me.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

Return to “MLServer Questions & Answers”