A Newbie's Guide to playing movies on client PC from Server

Discuss topics related to the plugins and uses for MLServer beta
midi-guy

Postby midi-guy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:42 pm

It doesn't get set.
The conditional is only checking to see if the variable is set to "Theater".
If it is set to any value other than "Theater", then the second part of the conditional gets run. This includes when the variable is not set at all.

spydyr

Postby spydyr » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:51 pm

Smoothtlk,

So I setup two buttons on my mainlobby screen. One called Office and the other called theater. In the button properties window under MLCmd I entered MLServeCmd.SetVariable|location~Theater for the theater button and MLServeCmd.SetVariable|location~Office for the office button.

MLServeCmd.MLConditional|IsEqual##{{Location}}##Theater##MLRedirect|htpc::5005::MLServeCmd.Macro|MLTheaterTek|EXIT!MLPause|5 MLFileOpen|<<FILE>>##MLRedirect|htpc::5005::MLServeCmd.Macro|MLTheaterTek|EXIT!MLPause|5!MLFileOpen|<<FILE>>

The problem I'm having is, no matter which machine I launch the DVD from it always plays on the office pc. From what I can tell it doesn't look like the variable is getting passed.

Here's a snippet of the MLServer event log.

Command: MLConditional|IsEqual####Theater##MLRedirect|....

Any suggestions?

spydyr

Postby spydyr » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:58 pm

Nevermind. I figured it out. I put the variable command in the wrong field. I put it in the MLcmd field rather than the MLServeCmd field.

Works like a charm now.

What are the MLcmd: and var: fields for?

Thanks

mftraver

Where can I download guides?

Postby mftraver » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:31 am

Where can I download guides (ML, DVDLobby, MLServer, etc).

I'm struggling and am nearing my patience tolerance trying to get movies on my server's hard drives to play on a remote PC. In my attempt to sift through hours and hours of forum posts, I've come across numerous mentions of various guides. I'm specifically looking for RIZLAW's guide to playing movies on a client PC from Server, but any download links I come across are dead. I've read that GREGORYX was consolidating guides, command lists, etc, but can't seem to find anything to download. Actually, I did download a command list, but I need a guide to show me how to use the commands. My method of cutting and pasting commands in random fields willy-nilly-like is just not cutting it.

Where are the guides?

Or alternatively, can anyone explain in layman's terms what I need to do to watch movies from my server on a client PC? I just downloaded everything last week (1 Feb 2005) - I have the latest edition of MLServer and ML and DVDLobby running on both server and client PC. I can watch movies on my server no problem. But when I try to watch movies on my client PC, they play on my server instead of on my client PC. This is "elementary school" stuff - if I can't get this to work, how I am supposed to automate my lighting and do "graduate level" stuff? I'm not even worried about fancy schmancy controlling the DVD movie (zoom commands) or playing trailers. I'd just like to get a movie to play on my client PC.

I only have so many more dozens of hours to spin my wheels before I'll have to punt and junk everything on ebay.

mftraver

Thanks all

Postby mftraver » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:42 am

In my frustration (see previous post), I forgot to thank all of you that have been attempting to help me so far. What Cinemar lacks in documentation/guides/instructions - you all seem to more than make up for in forum help. I guess I'm just a little frustrated right now when I can't get basic things to work, while at the same time some of you are automating your doorbell to turn on cameras. Obviously, this stuff has awesome potential. I just hope that I don't need to be a computer programmer or rocket scientist to do this stuff. But again. Thanks all.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:40 am

Try this post to play movies on multiple PCs
http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/foru ... php?t=1232

mftraver

Postby mftraver » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:33 pm

smoothtlk -

I'll try that tonight. Thanks. You and Gregoryx seem to be the ones that answer the great majority of the questions on here - do you know of any comprehensive collection of help/guides/instructions/etc? I've come across a lot of talk about that - although mostly its 1 or 2 years old forum posts. Perhaps if I ever get to the point of understanding this language and what fields to put what commands, I'll try to publish a beginners guide. I just don't want to re-invent the wheel that seems to be re-invented here on a weekly basis.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:11 pm

mftraver, I don't know of anything that will go soup-to-nuts on this stuff. I started a doc found here and rather promptly realized that it was a real organizational challenge and that a FAQ model might actually work better. Basically, if one were to spend a few days catalogging the key issues on this forum into a single HTML / TOC doc, it'd probably work better. What documentation there is, few seem to read or be able to use for some reason. :roll:

There is more stuff on my site in this area.

I would suggest a few hours of perusing this site and doing some copy-and-paste to a Word (or whatever) doc of things that you think seem relevant. When you're done, forward it! :P

4Shelby

Sorry but where is the documentation??

Postby 4Shelby » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:33 pm

Hello all,
Thanks for all the great feedback and documentation for all of us new users... documentation and how-to guides are of great value!!!

Question I have is that I cant find Riz's document... I get this error when trying to download...

404 File Not Found: The File files/how_to_view_movies_on_2_pcs_ver_1_1_.3.zip does not exist.

Any ideas??
Thanks!!!

worf83

Postby worf83 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:38 pm

does anyone know where to get this guide or have a copy available?
TIA
AL

bocapimp

Re: A Newbie's Guide to playing movies on client PC from Server

Postby bocapimp » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:40 am

i to would like a copy of this guide.

also has anyone tried this out with bluray (IMG) Files thru Powerdvd playback..

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: A Newbie's Guide to playing movies on client PC from Server

Postby DavidL » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:50 am

Any guide from 2005 is considerably out of date. The Wiki is the best source today.
What specific question do you have? The standard software caters to multiple PC playback now, which it didn't back in 2005.

Return to “MLServer Questions & Answers”