Very high CPU usage with Music Lobby Server Plugin

Report any bugs you may notice in either MusicLobby or MusicLobby Pocket PC
JoshFink

Very high CPU usage with Music Lobby Server Plugin

Postby JoshFink » Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:52 pm

Just noticed this. Could have been happening all along. This happens with the MediaCenter 9.1 Stable as well as the latest beta. If I have the MusicLobby Server plugin running the system fluctuates between 10% - 95% CPU usage. I'm running a P4-2.53 with 1gb of RAM and this is the only thing going on Windows 2003 Server.

Is anyone else having this problem? This also seems to be causing a lot of lag betwen when I push a button in ML and when things happen.

I've tried uninstalling the plugin and reinstalling it and no luck. Also, when I stop the plugin CPU usage returns to normal so it leads me to conclude that the plugin is causing the problems.

Thanks

Josh

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:10 pm

Hi Josh,

Try clearing your playlist and see if you still have the same problem.

If you throw a large number of songs into the playlist - like 5 days worth of music, that entire list is being sent back/forth between the client and server every second. Which is a lot of information.

A tip for running the program efficiently is to not add lots of music you'll probably never listen to. For example, a lot of users like to just add the whole playlist and then shuffle. A better way, is to use the Smart playlists to add a random data CD worth which will still give you the same result but limit it to hours of music instead of days in the playlist. You can also create your own playlists that grab say 6, 7 or 8 hours of random music from your collection.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

JoshFink

Postby JoshFink » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:49 pm

Yep.. That was it..

Strange as I don't remember putting all that into the playlist...

I only had about 3300 songs in the playlist.. :D

Thanks for the tip

Josh

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:54 pm

No problem Josh.

That's only about 10 days worth of music. If you can sit through that... :)
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

kbmyers

Postby kbmyers » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:38 am

I'm having the same runaway CPU usage problem but I need a clarification - when you say to clear the playlist, which one do you mean? In MediaCenter there are a lot of playlists, most of them auto-populated and some are useful (for example - "Auto Smartlist - Task: no image")

Thanks,
Kent

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:32 am

I believe the solution Mario is talking about involves using the "limit" feature in the smartlists. You can limit by songs or by minutes; either way, if you get it down to a few hundred songs, things should get better.

keyvan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby keyvan » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:24 am

I was running into the same problem. Although none of my playlists are longer than about 700 tracks while the entire collection is about 7600 tracks now. The problem (with MC9) also seems to occur when someone (not me, because I know better now) elects to play a track from MC9's "all music" or similar list. This tends to load the ENTIRE collection into "playing now" which then completely overloads the cpu - which means that even in MC9; mouse clicks take about 5-10 seconds to react. So you need to be patient just to get to the point where you can clear playing now. It's just the way MC9 works, I guess.

Return to “MusicLobby Public Bug Reports”