MusicLobby unable to handle really large playlists

Report any bugs you may notice in either MusicLobby or MusicLobby Pocket PC
Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

MusicLobby unable to handle really large playlists

Postby Funboy » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:16 am

MusicLobby hangs when I try to play a large playlist (1900 items in it). JukeBox doesn't have a problem playing the list, but MainLobby pops up the attached error message.

What is the maximum entries in a playlist that MusicLobby can handle?
- Funboy

jnelson

same thing happens to me

Postby jnelson » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:11 pm

4400 songs and it hangs the PPC

K-Wood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Same problem, even with smaller playlist

Postby K-Wood » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:44 am

I just loaded MuL PPC for the first time last night and encountered the same error message:
A script in this movie is causing Flash to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script? Yes/No

It hangs the PPC regardless of whether you select yes or no.

[Edit: I have about 2500 songs]

Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks,
Ken

K-Wood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Bump

Postby K-Wood » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:57 am

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem or knows of a way to fix. I have yet to be able to try MuL PPC as a result; this problem comes up every time I try it, and the only way out is to reboot the PPC.

I'm running a Dell Axim 300Mhz.

thanks,
Ken

Re: Bump

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:52 pm

K-Wood wrote:Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem or knows of a way to fix. I have yet to be able to try MuL PPC as a result; this problem comes up every time I try it, and the only way out is to reboot the PPC.

I'm running a Dell Axim 300Mhz.

thanks,
Ken

...add me to the list! This is frustrating. On one HTPC I get the problem described here. Reducing the number of files in Playing Now in MC seems to help. I do not know if the problem is the total database size, or the size of playing now.

On my other HTPC after installing Music Lobby PPC, MC runs at 100% and freezes. I think that problem is due to not having my music files on a local drive (they are on the other HTPC)

I am using a Toshiba e755 with 11mbps connection at 100%. I have 20,000 songs.

I just tested again and the macromedia error massage comes up any time I fill playing now with lits of songs.

--Caleb

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:39 pm

I think that this problem is more specific to the MediaCenter/MediaJukebox application and how it works with plugins and other stuff.

I can tell you firsthand that the MusicLobby client itself can easily handle large playlists without breaking a sweat.

The soon to be released CDJ version uses the exact same client and I can display my library info for 900 albums in under 2 seconds. If I try the exact same thing in MC/MJ it will take it 15-20 minutes minimum and that's only when it actually will work.

I'm not sure where the exact bottleneck occurs but there definately is one. The MusicLobby app can do it easily.

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:42 pm

Another point of consideration is that the Flash player engine on the PPC is not nearly as optimized or as up to date as the desktop version.

How is the response time from the desktop version of MusicLobby in comparison to the PPC version?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:49 pm

With the next release of MusicLobby, we have done quite a bit of optimization of the plug-in to work with the "eccentricities" of Media Center and their file handling - specifically targeting and testing large collections. At this point, it would be best to adopt a wait and see attitude and we can readdress the situation after the next release. I'm 90% that these updates will accomodate this particular situation; however, it is also worth stating that trying to load 20,000 into a single playlist on a PocketPC is probably overkill anyway. Even with the fastest computer, spending a little time to organize your music into logically defined partitions will make things easier and faster to navigate.

Dan

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:53 pm

mediastorm wrote:I think that this problem is more specific to the MediaCenter/MediaJukebox application and how it works with plugins and other stuff.

I can tell you firsthand that the MusicLobby client itself can easily handle large playlists without breaking a sweat.

...I have done more investigating. It DEFINATELY if a problem of having too many files in the play list. It is also limited to ML PPC.

I solve it by removing the ML plug-in file from the MC9 folder. Then I can restart MC( fine. Then I clear or reduse the number of files in playing now. Then, put the ML plugin back in the MC( folder and restart MC(. Then everything is fine again. Interestingly, I can get ML to prowse my media list without this problem. It is only a playing now issue.

I had read and thought this also had to do with files on remote drives. This is NOT the issue. Again on that 2nd HTPC, doing the above solved the problem too.

By comparison, Net Remote does Not have this problem, so i am do not think it is related to MC9.

Thanks

--Caleb

Lee Gorecki

Postby Lee Gorecki » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:00 pm

i agree with caleb I to was also running netremote with even more songs than i have now on the identical version of media centre 9 (Around 8,000 to be exact) and that took about 2 seconds to acess the tree from my ppc. now i only have a meisily 6,300 to play with.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:18 pm

We'll be addressing this issue in the next release of MusicLobby PPC. It is only when trying to draw a lot of track clips onto the Playing Now movie clip. We have ways to fix that, and will use them.

Dan

dhanford

Postby dhanford » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:44 pm

Is there an estimate as to when this will be fixed (new release). I am not thrilled I paid over $100 for an app I can not use.

Return to “MusicLobby Public Bug Reports”