BUG: Album art isn't changing

Report any bugs you may notice in either MusicLobby or MusicLobby Pocket PC
indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:07 pm

Dave,

Thanks for looking into it. I am willing to convert my art if it would mean better (faster) performance. You and I have spoken in the past about the sluggishness of MusicLobby on my Airpanels because they are reloading the cache each time the swf is loaded.

I must admit that I haven't upgraded my suite is several months so maybe this has already been taked care of in recent releases, but if there is a case for faster performance by having all art in one file I am willing to give it a shot.

ccarpenter1

CoverArt further debugging

Postby ccarpenter1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:10 pm

Gang,

I have been doing some debugging and here is what I believe is happening. I used a program called Process Monitor by SysInternals to see what the MainLobby client was doing when launching the MusicLobby.mls file. What I noticed is that the thumbnails for the opening page were being generated at the following location on a Windows Vista 32bit system.

"C:\Users\<your loginame>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files"

Unfortunately, the image it renders for folder.jpg is always the same one even though the file paths are unique. For example, in the folder path referenced above, notice below that both of these examples have unique paths, but the cached image is always the same, which is the first image in my folder path.

Looks like the code in the MainLobby client is not populating the images correctly.

getImage?D:\Music\WMA\A%20New%20Found%20Glory\New%20Found%20Glory\Folder.jpg|width=100|height=100

getImage?D:\Music\WMA\Alanis%20Morissette\Jagged%20Little%20Pill\Folder.jpg|width=100|height=100

Both of the references above produce the exact same image. If I were actually going to the real d:\music\wma\ folders, the folder.jpg is correct. Its just these generated cached copies of IE that are incorrect.

Clear as Mud?

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:13 pm

Thanks for all the investigation. I hope their is a solution soon.

Davis

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:22 am

smoothtlk wrote:Still download the latest, shutdown MediaCenter and run the installer and restart. There were some dependency file and installer changes that didn't affect the .ocx version so the installer version did not change.

I started a new thread but haven't received a response so I'm double posting here (sorry). The v3.0.31 version of the J River MediaCenter plugin doesn't allow the triggering of Automation Rules. I've gone back to v3.0.23 which is working perfectly fine for me. I'm not the only person having this problem, if you use a mlmediacenter_* variable in an Automation Rule the rule is never triggered (MLS v3.0.425) yet all of my other rules work perfectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MLMediaCenter v3.1.1
J River Plugin v3.0.31 (broken) & v3.0.23 (works)
MLSever v3.0.425

- Jeff

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:53 am

Jeff,

Did 3.0.23 fix the coverart issues as well? Where can I download 3.0.23. I am thinking that the installer only gives me the most current version. Does cinemar archive these somewhere that is customer accessable?

Thanks,
Davis

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:43 am

indecision wrote:Did 3.0.23 fix the coverart issues as well? Where can I download 3.0.23. I am thinking that the installer only gives me the most current version. Does cinemar archive these somewhere that is customer accessable?

No, cover art still works the same way it always has (the cover art file names must be unique across the whole library regardless of directory). I simply went back to v3.0.23 to get my automation rules triggering again.

Regarding archived/historical version, I just happen to keep the last few version here at home as a just-in-case. In this instance the file doesn't have a version for MusicLobby (I obviously didn't update the filename), just a date when I downloaded it from Cinemar (070825).

- Jeff

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:36 pm

The problem is that the IE cache is killing us here. I need to make modifications to the ocx file that will bypass the IE cache and grab the real file. I am experimenting here with new code. I'll post a new ocx to test as soon as it looks promising here.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:59 pm

With regards to Automation Events, Check that you Do NOT have Update Server Variables in fast mode selected in the later plugin.

Fast mode creates variables without going thru the automation event processor (that's why it's Fast).

If you are using automation events, then don't select this option.

That was a feature added that might not work for everyone.

From the Wiki:

Update Server variables in Fast mode is new with MusicLobbyServer.ocx v 3.0.31 This will update MLServer's variables much more efficiently (which may allow you to enable the above two features) with the drawback that MLServer Automation Events will not be triggered on variable change. You can however use Update Triggers to trigger an automation event (see below).

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:37 pm

smoothtlk wrote:With regards to Automation Events, Check that you Do NOT have Update Server Variables in fast mode selected in the later plugin.

Fast mode creates variables without going thru the automation event processor (that's why it's Fast).

If you are using automation events, then don't select this option.

That was a feature added that might not work for everyone.

From the Wiki:

Update Server variables in Fast mode is new with MusicLobbyServer.ocx v 3.0.31 This will update MLServer's variables much more efficiently (which may allow you to enable the above two features) with the drawback that MLServer Automation Events will not be triggered on variable change. You can however use Update Triggers to trigger an automation event (see below).

Okay, I went back and reinstalled 3.0.31 and unchecked "Fast Mode." My automation rules are now working again.

Is the Wiki _THE_ process to check for version history and release notes for all non-3rd party products? I only used the Wiki for finding plugin commands, typically these forums contain(ed) version release notes and history.

Thanks!

- Jeff

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:34 pm

The Wiki should be used as the primary documentation source.

Ultimately it will include the version history as it does now for MainLobby3 client and MLServer3.

The forum should serve for dialouge on a feature, problem or tip. The results of that should be transferred to the Wiki by however has that inclination. Easy to do, and if folks started, it would make these things much easier for all. We try to keep it up to date, but it's a pretty big project with the couple of hundred things we are now tracking.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:20 pm

Smooth or Dave will you guys point me to a link that describes the best way to store cover art?

Thanks

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:33 pm

smoothtlk wrote:The Wiki should be used as the primary documentation source.

Ultimately it will include the version history as it does now for MainLobby3 client and MLServer3.

The forum should serve for dialouge on a feature, problem or tip. The results of that should be transferred to the Wiki by however has that inclination. Easy to do, and if folks started, it would make these things much easier for all. We try to keep it up to date, but it's a pretty big project with the couple of hundred things we are now tracking.

Moving a little off topic... but yes, maintaining Wiki's or any web site/documentation is generally a large undertaking people don't understand. At least I know that in the future I should check the Wiki for version history and functionality changes.

If time permits (always a problem) I'll do my best to contribute what little knowledge I have about MainLobby and my experience.

Thanks again!

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:45 pm

indecision wrote:Smooth or Dave will you guys point me to a link that describes the best way to store cover art?

I think the link is somewhere within this thread but I'm being lazy at the moment....

Here is what works for me:

1) Scan the CD cover art into Photoshop @ 300dpi
2) Rotate, Crop, color correct as needed
3) Resize without height/width constraints to 500x500
4) Save as a jpg w/8 "High Quality" as the compression level
5) Use Easy CD-DA Extractor to rip the CD to FLAC and insert the jpg in each file.
6) Use foobar2000 to adjust the meta-data tags as needed (song years, album artists, total tracks, etc)
7) Copy the songs from my local PC to our Server
8) Copy the songs from my local PC to the MainLobby machine
9) Run the batch file at the beginning of this thread to copy the jpg from the FLAC file into the respective directory as "Artist - Album.jpg" <- unique file name.
10) Add the folder to MediaCenter
11) Have MediaCenter strip the embedded jpg images from the newly imported FLAC flies
12) Have MediaCenter perform a "Quick Find Cover Art" which locates the jpg files in each directory. It add a link to the meta-data instead of embedding the image
13) Have MediaCenter analyze the volume of the newly added files

That sums it all up. It sounds like a lot but I'm so used to the process now it's no big deal. Another set of steps I also do is convert the FLAC files to m4a (aac) for our iPods. Those also are copied to our Server and then I visit each machine to update the respective iTunes (mine, wife's and son's).

Doing the above steps, the most important of which is the jpgs must have unique names across your library, has solved 98% of my album cover art issues. Still outstanding are '%' symbols in the file name (that really screws things up) and a mysterious skipping of album art sometimes both of which are resolved when the next song plays.

I truly hope the above helps, it's been working for me since I posted the batch file last year.

- Jeff

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks Jeff!

I really appreciate your time and effort on that great explanation.

Davis

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:08 pm

I just want to add one more thing....

My library is arranged as follows:

/music
/music/library.flac
/music/library.flac/Hayley Westenra
/music/library.flac/Hayley Westenra/Celtic Treasure
/music/library.flac/Hayley Westenra/Celtic Treasure/Hayley Westenra - Celtic Treasure.jpg
/music/library.flac/Hayley Westenra/Celtic Treasure/Hayley Westenra - Celtic Treasure - Abide With Me.flac
/music/library.flac/Hayley Westenra/Celtic Treasure/Hayley Westenra - Celtic Treasure - Danny Boy.flac
/music/library.flac/Hayley Westenra/Odyssey
/music/library.flac/Hayley Westenra/Odyssey/Hayley Westenra - Odyssey.jpg
/music/library.flac/Hayley Westenra/Odyssey/Hayley Westenra - Odyssey - Ave Maria.m4a
/music/library.flac/Hayley Westenra/Odyssey/Hayley Westenra - Odyssey - Both Sides Now.m4a

And the batch file at the beginning of the this thread expects a similar directory structure by being executed from the "/music" directory.

[Sorry, just noticed the '/' ... just replace with '\' for windows :) ... been a long day]

Jeff

Return to “MusicLobby Public Bug Reports”