what touchscreens would you use if starting out today

Found a great input or display device you'd like to share with the forum...post it here.
capall

what touchscreens would you use if starting out today

Postby capall » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi all,
I am looking into HA and at mainlobby and was wondering about what the current recommendations would be for touchscreens, for, 1. mobile around the house and 2. permanently positioned on a wall. Would you use the new windows 8 tablets from various manufactures (Lenovo IdeaPad, Acer Iconia, MS Surface Pro) for a mobile option and the various large hi-def touchscreens (21/22", 1920 x 1080, e.g. dell S2240T) directly connected to the server or a client for the fixed option?

My thinking is that the win 8 tablet's would allow you to run mainlobby natively and hence a better experience than using the web interface on ipads/Android tablets and the new hi-def touchscreen monitors would give you much more real estate and resolution than the old Planar, Elo screens

Thanks
Capall

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: what touchscreens would you use if starting out today

Postby chuck99z28 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:46 am

I'm sticking with the Windows tablet so I can run the native Mainlobby client.
I haven't gotten into the web development.

Bear in mind, when using the HD displays, the standard screen layouts are smaller then the screen area.
So you have to increase the size of the Mainlobby player screen resolution and reorganize the scene files.

Or you could just dumb down the tablet's display to match the default Mainlobby screens.

Also, the multipoint touch screens don't provide any benefit (yet) to the Mainlobby client.
I had to force mine to emulate a mouse vice be multitouch.

My personal preference is to stick with the native windows tablet.

But, from reading the forum, the iPad seems to be the most popular.

Just my opinion.

I'm using the Samsung Series 7 Slate 128GB Windows 8 with Docking Station & Bluetooth keyboard
XE700T1A-A03US

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:20 pm

A Windows 8 tablet running the web apps in Chrome kiosk mode makes for a pretty slick interface too.

capall

Postby capall » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks guys,
I must say, I'm a bit perplexed at how few posts there is with respect to windows tablets. I was thinking that as soon as these came out and were reasonably priced, that mainlobby users would have been all over them, since you get the native viewer.

derek

capall

Postby capall » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 pm

would this some up the lack of momentum win 8 table usage
The options of the current windows tablets are
-the low powered fanless atom win 8 units with a reasonably low price but average screen resolution and average battery life
-surface pro, good resolution and power but have a fan, low battery life and a bit heavy, and quite expensive

hence the reason for a lot of people still sticking with either their ipads or nexus 7's

is that about it?

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:53 pm

I should try an ipad to see. My wife has one, I can "borrow" it.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 pm

capall-

Maybe one way to look at it is this - for those of us that are moving or have moved totally to web-designer pages, we have become somewhat agnostic to the platform. I now design both iPad and Android pages for most scenes. My wife is committed to her iPad (maybe a Gen 1?) and I use an Asus Transformer prime. We both can address the exact same scenes on both our tablets and our phones, again iPhone and Android (Samsung). The experience is about the same on either device, although my huge Samsung screen clearly beats the Shiite out of the iPhone's tiny screen. The main limitations are the WiFi (specifically, device proximity to the router) and the quality my work in building the scene commands - but not the device itself. Dave has done a great job in making the web scenes very responsive, which is evident even on older tablets. I think I would gain very little in terms of the quality of the MainLobby experience by pouring $500+/- into a new tablet.

Now, $230 into a new Nexus 7, that may be in the cards...

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Dave,
Which tablets to you use?
(Please include the OS version on the androids.)

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:47 pm

I have
1 - iPad 1st generation running iOS 5.1
2 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 running Android 4.1.1
3 - Asus Eee Pad 1st generation running Android 3.4
4 - Amazon Kindle Fire 1st Generation running Android 3.2

I am primarily using the iPad and Galaxy Tab during daily use. I only dust off the other two when I need to test backwards compatibility with a new feature.

If I was going to buy a tablet today I'd get the Nexus 7 simply because it is really good hardware and it is stock Android and not full of the crapware that normally gets layered onto these devices.

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Wow, something must be wrong with my setup.

When I use the Samsung windows touch, there is no delay to send commands and changing screens.

I went to the Mainlobby/ipad/index.html url on my wifes ipad. Saved the setup to Home.

It works well, but when you get into a search or play a movie section it just drags. Like search is type a letter, wait a second or two, type another letter. To get it to work.
That has to be wrong right?

The Gallery screens seem even slower.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:40 pm

On my 1st gen iPad the search results update nearly instant. Within a fraction of a second. I would suspect wireless network speed as the bottleneck since you say all is good on the Samsung. I'm using a OM2P-HS 802.11g/n High Speed Access Point for my wireless network and I highly recommend this device. It replaced an old Buffalo wireless router that always gave me problems. My wireless network has performed flawlessly since adding the Open-mesh WAP. The rest of the network is gigabit home run to a 24 port Cisco switch.

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Ok, thanks.

I'll try that tomorrow. I have a higher speed wifi node I use for the Roku boxes in the bedrooms.

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:53 pm

I switched to a faster node 802.11n at 5ghz.

It is a lot faster. I'll continue to play.

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:02 pm

I think I'll order one of those Microsoft Surface Windows 8 tablets just to see how it is.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:17 pm

I built scenes for a customer who had a gen 1 iPad and wanted to migrate to the surface. Once he did he said everything was about 10 times faster then the 1st gen iPad.

Return to “Touch Screens, Tablet PCs, Pocket PCs, Smart Displays & other Display Devices”