New Homeseer touchscreen

Found a great input or display device you'd like to share with the forum...post it here.
simonmason
Expert
Expert

New Homeseer touchscreen

Postby simonmason » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:05 am

I like the new homeseer touchscreen - clean lines - built in speaker, etc.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/x-P1403.aspx

Looks like it is made by these guys:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/65535 ... droid.html

I see no reference to the browser on it - I am wondering if it will run some simple MainLobby screens. Also, I can't find any distributors online, yet?
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Homeseer touchscreen

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 am

Alibaba is just a clearinghouse for Chinese manufacturers. They do make anything themselves. The specs for the CPU and internals are pretty bottom of the barrel. It is running Android 4.0.3 so that means the native MainLobby client will not run on it. You could use the built in Android browser to run our web apps. You'd have to modify the scenes to support the 800x400 resolution.

Since Homeseer is the only one selling this you do not know if they are locking it down to only run Homeseer or if they are leaving it open enough so that you could launch the native browser. If you can get to the browser I suspect it would work.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks. I am looking for a simple solution to replace my existing Nuvo controllers with a small format touchscreen. I still depend on MainLobby running on my 15" touchscreens throughout the house, but in more remote locations I want something with a little more capabilities. I like the iTouch and wall-mount - very clean. I can't get over the fact that the plastic wall mount costs twice what it costs to buy older iTouch's to use for this!
Simon D. S. Mason

sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:08 pm

On the description page it states that it boots right to their HSTouch, so I would guess that it is locked into using just that app. But maybe someone would be able to get around it, but from what I read on their forum, the resitive touchscreen isn't going over well with some people. But others might like it.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:12 pm

The iPad-mini being launched on the 23rd is probably going to be a great solution. Still speculation until it gets announced but it is rumored to be an 8" diagonal screen for around $249. It will only be a matter of time before someone creates a nice in-wall mount for it like they're done with the full-size iPads. Once we know the final screen resolution for the device we'll have a separate web app just for it.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:55 am

Yeah, Simon, I personally think that these units look very unprofessional! I didnt want to rain on HOMESEERS parade but they don't look good at all. Way too tetchy..

The new iPad mini would be better.

You can easily mount an iPad in the wall using a 8 x 10 frame, the original box, and a little hot glue.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:52 am

Are there any stand alone POE products sold for iPad or iTouch? One of my neighbors has a plastic moulding and design business so I am going to see what he can turn out!
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:16 am

Yes, here's one.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks for the link - I hadn't looked at Vidabox in a while. I think their approach is good - clean lines - would be nice if they offered a wood frame as well. Also, they are limited to iPad only. Their POE solution is reasonably priced, I might start playing around with this.

Here is a wooden frame company:

http://www.theipadframe.com/
Simon D. S. Mason

Return to “Touch Screens, Tablet PCs, Pocket PCs, Smart Displays & other Display Devices”