Motorola Xoom

Found a great input or display device you'd like to share with the forum...post it here.
Blade
Expert
Expert

Motorola Xoom

Postby Blade » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:27 am

Does anyone have one and if so how well is it going to work with MainLobby?
Are there any plans to have a client for the Xoom?
I am thinking of picking up a Xoom but I would be using it for ML control mostly so I want to make sure it is going to be worthwhile.

Thx

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Motorola Xoom

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:47 am

When Motorola initially released the Xoom it left out Flash support so it was essentially an expensive brain-dead tablet. So I did not run out and get one. In mid-March Motorola started pushing out a software update that added Flash 10.2 support. So now it is getting interesting again. One of the goals of the Cinemar V4 release it to allow Android devices to run the MainLobby client from the server via MLServer 4's web server. This would be phase one and it would allow any Android device to run Mainlobby. You can use any Mainlobby client to design the scenes. After the V4 dust settles a bit we will look at building a native Android app. Bottom line is that we are committed to android support and are actively testing but have no results to report yet. We'll post something as soon as we have it.

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Good to know Dave.
I will be picking up a Xoom tonight :)

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I now own a Motorola Xoom. Just got finished playing with it and it is very cool.
I have flash installed on it and it seems to work fine. Browsing seems very fast on it. I am impressed. Google maps is super cool.
I cannot wait to try out ML on it. If you need a tester let me know.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Bob,

Did you get a chance to try out SplashTop Remote from it? I bet it works pretty smoothly when remoted into a somewhat faster machine.

Also, we've heard reports from a recent dealer that is using VMWare Server 2 to connect multiple iPads to a single machine using SplashTop Remote. I think a single machine can serve up 10 separate instances of MainLobby to a variety of devices including both the iPad and the Xoom.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:40 am

No I have not tried it.
I am hoping that you guys are working on something cool for android because now that I have flash working on the xoom I can see this being very cool.
I love the xoom so far. I believe it to be better than the ipad for the fact alone that it is customizable.

I cannot wait to try out something from you guys on the Xoom. If you need a beta tester just let me know. I have a dev MLServer setup here that I can use.

Thx

benny32

Postby benny32 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:05 pm

I tried splashtop on a xoom with ML and it worked like a dream! I doubt anyone could tell the difference between my normal remote and the xoom for responsiveness, I'm not even sure I could tell any difference. It will now be my main controller and my X70 is moving to my bedroom system.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:30 am

Good to know. I thought it would. My EVO phone does a phenomenal job with SplashTop Remote as well. ML is faster than I think we could even run it natively on that phone.

I've really maximized my own main house server. It sits in my whole house rack in the basement and then feeds the MainLobby touchscreen display in the kitchen over cat5/VGA baluns. It also runs SplashTop Remote from which I can access MainLobby from my EVO phone or Ipad. It's like four computers in one.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

Return to “Touch Screens, Tablet PCs, Pocket PCs, Smart Displays & other Display Devices”