ANDROID ANDROID WHEN WHEN ???

Found a great input or display device you'd like to share with the forum...post it here.
neils

ANDROID ANDROID WHEN WHEN ???

Postby neils » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:59 pm

I am surprised that the word ANDROID is not flooding the pages of this forum. Will try and post this also in the ML threads, to make sure it gets covered by those who don't look in here...

As you are probably aware, almost everything is ANDROID now. Every phone manufacturer out there is going after Apple, and most if not all of those smartphones are running on ANDROID. Once Apple released the iPad, almost every PC manufacturer out there came out with their own tablet, and all of those run on ANDROID. So it is safe to say that ANDROID is here to stay.

Having said that (and owning an ANDROID tablet), is there a way for Cinemar to do the following:

1) Map ML Client, DVDL and MusicL over to Android
2) Allow the Android client side to speak with a Windows server side

A good Android tablet can be had for $200 these days, and I can see 1 or more tablets lying around rooms in the house..

Let the discussions begin..

Thanks
Neil

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: ANDROID ANDROID WHEN WHEN ???

Postby pete_auto » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:59 pm

I second this...REALLY looking forward to Android support / plug-ins et al.

djsl

Postby djsl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:56 pm

I agree, the market is going to get flooded with android based tablets soon. Cheaper and more choices.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:47 pm

I still believe teh future is off of flash to HTML5 and CSS. Can you do everything? Not yet but it is very powerful to be portable. I'm trying to replace all my cinemar clients in my house with HTML implementations. Only down side right now is polling, but I've successfully tapped in to the socket layer traffic and have been tinkering witha publisher / subscriber webservice to consolidate all the broadcast messages from MLServer when a variable changes and push them to the proper subscriber in real time. I like the model dave uses in the HTML page of essentially telling the server what variables you want, but I've been playing with pushing that list to the webservice so it looks only for changes to those variables and pushes back only those variables changes.

If Cinemar would deliver something like this in the future, it won't matter what device you are using. it will all run in the browser and you can run it from anywhere you can get a compliant browser and an internet connection.

Toying with porting this as a flash app to an Android device seems a bit short sighted long term to me, but would be a great short term option to get around the APPLE embargo on flash.

Just my .02.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:18 pm

Websockets in HTML 5 will be a big step to accomplishing this. I'm hoping that iOS4.1 adds websockets to the iPad. I have a websockets html page working in chrome and it's really nice and very quick. Waiting for all this evolution to happen is difficult.

Return to “Touch Screens, Tablet PCs, Pocket PCs, Smart Displays & other Display Devices”