VGA and USB Extenders - Looking for input

Found a great input or display device you'd like to share with the forum...post it here.
steve50

VGA and USB Extenders - Looking for input

Postby steve50 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:35 pm

I have 2 ELO 1545L USB touch screens working perfectly on my HTPC with mainlobby software, but need to run the usb cables 25-50' away, and soon to add a 3rd 1545L in my garage that's about 100' away. I already have vga cables ran for this, but if I can get the VGA and the USB signal over cat5's that would work out best.

User 'wireless' pointed out a KVM VGA extender on ebay, but not sure if that's the way to go now being it was posted over 1.5 years ago...

VGA to Cat5 extenders
Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:51 pm
Just installed one of these to replace a defective unit, about a 75 ft. cat5 run. The nice thing is VGA and USB on one cat5 cable. Video quality looks pretty good and the touch screen works well. Fresh install so no data on reliablility yet. Wall wart for the receiver. USB supplies power to the sender
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Remote-KVM-Exte ... m153.l1262

...They look like a good solution to me, so just want to see if anyone can comment on them, or other VGA/USB extenders over cat5 before I shell out the cash to buy 3 of them.

Thanks

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Re: VGA and USB Extenders - Looking for input

Postby mcascio » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:50 pm

steve50,

The price is right, but I can't comment on how good/bad they work.

I've personally used the Muxlab vga balun combined with a USB over cat5 extender. So two cat5's. Those work great except for when storms are in the area. The screen will go black for a split second every so often...could be minutes or hours. Also, if the power goes out, I'm forced to unplug/plug the usb extender back or reboot the machine to get the touchscreen working again.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Texsun

Postby Texsun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:56 pm

I've had good luck with this item which basically allows you to attach your usb devices to your network and pick them up anywhere you can access ethernet/wifi.

Belkin F5L009 5-Port Network USB Hub

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Steve50:

I also have the exact setup that Mario describes for tow screens in two of my bedrooms. Works great 95% of the time, but is a bit of a PIA to get things moving once more when you have power outages. Just keep all the devices easily accessible. Mine are tucked into the closet for each bedroom. I can reset the MUX's easily. I also installed an electrical outlet in each closet and above the top shelf for easy power up.

Post more questions as you come across something.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mnkynifefite » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:19 am

I have been using this USB Extender with my ELO screens for over a year with zero problems.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-Ethernet-E ... B000O2X2OA

I have approx. one 35' run and one 25' run. Not sure how they perform with longer distances, but for mine they work great. I had another extender (can't remember the brand) that seemed to lose connectivity all the time...this one doesn't.

steve50

Postby steve50 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:58 am

I think for my case i may just leave the vga cables setup for now and just add the USB extenders to support the ELO's... The Iogear Ethernet Extender GUCE51 like mnkynifefite is using sounds good. I read somewhere, maybe in the user manual that the 1545L ELO's are usb 1.1, so they should work fine.

Connects with a Cat5, Cat6 / RJ45 Cable
Extends ethernet connections up to 198 feet.
Transparent data extension
Fully compliant with USB 1.0, 1.1 standards.

Will try them first.

Thanks for all the input.

Just an UPDATE...

Couldn't find the IOGEAR USB Extenders locally, so I ended up getting one of the QVS USB extenders from the local Micro Center store... $60 bucks, but it seems to work fine with a 50' cat6 cable. Still need to connect 2 more ELO's so off I go!

=D>

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 am

I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has any updates on this. I am looking to extend one touchscreen in my basement. It is 800x600 and uses serial. I have checked out the Muxlab and that seems to be ideal for the VGA. I would be interested in feedback on serial extenders - which ones work, etc. The run is only about 25 feet, so I could in theory just buy a long cord. However, I have to snake it through pre-drilled holes in the ceiling so running a CAT5 would be much better. Also, is CAT5e required over CAT5? Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:21 am

You can easily convert a cat5 cable to a serial cable with a DB9 connector to cat5 converter.

I've had good luck with the MuxLab vga converters over cat5 as well. Although, whenever I get water from my fridge dispenser it will flicker as well as storms like I mentioned above. Must be some type of power fluctuation.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:26 am

Great. Thanks!
Simon D. S. Mason

Return to “Touch Screens, Tablet PCs, Pocket PCs, Smart Displays & other Display Devices”