iPad - When can we have an App?

Found a great input or display device you'd like to share with the forum...post it here.
froaye

iPad - When can we have an App?

Postby froaye » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 pm

I know i'm not the only one wondering if an iPad Application is in the works. I have a viewsonic V150...its old, and the New iPad at $499 is a steal compared to some of these other touch screen tablets being offered. Anyone else with me?

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Re: iPad - When can we have an App?

Postby bigDvette » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:03 pm

I've already got the developer kit in my sights and an idea of how to build my UI for the ipad and iphone. MLServer is a great backend for a system like this. Of course, it would be nice if apple would just support flash, but I'm not holding my breath.

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mnkynifefite » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Good luck with that stinker (I generally like Apple products :wink: ). It had promise but here lies the two main issues, as far as ML is concerned...

...no Flash

...locked system. Only approved Apps can be loaded on to the system via App Store. This means Cinemar would have to go through the whole pain butt app approval process that Apple has.

I suppose one could develop "web" scenes similar to what we can run on our iPod Touch, except bigger, but all the shortcomings would be the same.

I think the HP Slate (coming soon) holds greater promise and should be competitively priced. More here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yz5YccwjE&feature=related

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Well...I just had a prominent client of mine phone me and say "I want you to set me up with the iPad and get rid of the TabletKioskss"

That pretty much sums it up. It's here and people are going to be demanding it. Dave, Mario, Let's chat to see how we can make this happen.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Well I have to get my hands on one first. Let's wait until you can buy one and then you'll see just what can be done.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:48 pm

Amazing! You can not even get an iPad in your hands yet, and someone is asking for a driver!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Im sure it can and will be hacked just like the iphone using cydia so if your willing to either give up the updates and all other contact with the rotten apple it will work just fine.

speaking of witch does anyone happen to have the original google voice app (not this web browser pos) from before apple axed it?

thanks
Hooked on HighDef

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mnkynifefite » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:34 pm

While that may be true, that seems like a pretty shaky business model for a legitimate company like Cinemar. You'd be creating a commercial application that relies on the violation of an EULA and the "breaking" of another companies product in order for yours to work. That's not good business.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:07 pm

We also need to see what Adobe has in store when they release CS5. That may allow us to convert our existing MainLobby without nearly as much work as creating a completely new application from the ground up.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mnkynifefite » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:51 pm

Interesting...are we thinking about Air?

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:02 pm

Yea I get that but at the same time I paid for the hardware. If I don't wanna use apples stupid os then what's the harm in putting something else on it. How is that different then buying any computer with vista on it an installing 7 or Linux or xp? Besides not only did apple get my money for the pad but the also got my money for the os that I didn't want to begin with. I wish they would sell a barebones pad. Sorry I'm so bitter but apples policies lately have my head spinning. It really bothers me how they handle the app store. I'm not sure why either. But it does
Hooked on HighDef

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Look, I'd love to install software that isn't apple approved on my iphone and an ipad, but you are acting like it is a computer when it isn't. Apple doesn't stop you from installing other OSs on their computers, they just don't want you installing OSX on non-apple hardware. There are lots of devices with proprietary OSs that don't want you installing other stuff on them without their permission or unless they have released the software. Just because it has a computer chip and a display doesn't make it a computer. I can't load maps from other GPS units on my Garmin.

Anyway, it is a mute point. Asking Cinemar to build something that only works on machines people have violated the EULA on isn't a sound business model which I think is all the original poster was trying to say.

Don't get me wrong, I have a jailbroken iphone, 2 hacked Tivos, 1 hacked Linksys SLUG, and XBOX running XBMC and I have OSX running on a mini-itx dual processor ION box, but I don't have any expectation of support from any of the free software vendors that make the software. I don't steal music and I don't steal videos, but I have no problem using outdated hardware to the best of it's current ability realizing the original manufacturer has the right to say turn off my access to XBOX live.

Oh, and I have a software business that makes marketing automation software written in FLEX which compiles to FLASH and wish I could create a mobile interface people could use on their iPhone, but I'd never do it and ask my clients to break their EULA on their iPhone to get it to work. As someone said earlier, lets hope CS5 has some tricks up their sleeve to support Canvas in HTLM5 or to output iPhone code. This is an interesting article from Adobe.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flas ... or_iphone/

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:15 am

ok.... all that makes sense.
Hooked on HighDef

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:36 pm

I think I will pass on the iPad and get the HP Slate when it comes out.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Yep; I was thinking the same. I like the looks of the slate so far.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “Touch Screens, Tablet PCs, Pocket PCs, Smart Displays & other Display Devices”