Thought I'd share something that works

Found a great input or display device you'd like to share with the forum...post it here.
bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Thought I'd share something that works

Postby bigDvette » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:55 am

I have a number of small 10" touchscreens that use USB for the touch interface and VGA for the video. I had run usb cable extenders to continue to get usb 2.0 speeds since the usb extenders that convert to cat 5 cable were all 1.1 or outragously expensive.

When I put my MLServer away from my wiring closet I had been using a Belkin F5L009 to get some serial devices to the box. A few months ago I decided to hook up a display to the F5L009 usb network extender and continue to use my USB display device. After a few month I can confirm it works with no problems.

So anyone looking to put in a touchscreen and has access to a cat 5/6 network connection could use a Belkin F5L009 and a usb display adapter to connect it to their main mainlobby client machine and extend the desktop.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Re: Thought I'd share something that works

Postby bigDvette » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Ron asked me to elaborate,

I'm using a Belkin F5L009 USB Network hub attached to my router.

Plugged in to the F5L009 is a IOGear GUC2015V at 1 location and an EVGA UV12 at another location. These are both displaylink devices and use the exact same driver.

The IOGear or EVGA is plugged in to the VGA port on my touchpanel.

The usb from the touchpanel is plugged in to F5L009 at each location and the drivers that came with the touchpanel are used.

I run 3 clients (1 off the local VGA and 2 over this USB solution) off of my Windows Home Server box that also runs MLServer.

Hope that helps.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 pm

How fast is the response on the USB solution as compared to the direct solution? How fast is the graphic loading? Is it on a 10/100 or a 10/100/1000 based network?
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:41 am

I see no difference in response times over hooking up the USB display adapters directly to the computer using an extended USB cable. The network I have is GigE, but the F5L009 is only 100 I think since it states it is 802.3u, so I don't think that comes in to play. I am only running a 1024x768 resolution on the panels, so that may help.

If you are asking how are response times compared to direct VGA connection to the computers video card, I can tell you I've never sensed a difference. The screen in my theater room is connected to the VGA out and the 3 others are all on USB adapters.

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks for the details, BigDvette. I'll check out the hardware.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 pm

One final note. DOn't use the Belkin F5l009 with Windows 7 yet. There is an issue where the deices disconnect periodically. I've traced it down on my side to something in the firewall, but many people have a problem with them and windows 7. I run these off my Windows Home Server box.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks for the information and responses.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Do you have them displaying all the same video output or separate?

Cool idea... I've always thought that here is a better way of distributing touchscreens.. This is a good cost factor.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:22 pm

The only issue I have experienced is USB distance, particularity with the 2.0 spec. If you get a cable over 3 meters, you start having timing issues.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:44 am

Krumpy wrote:Do you have them displaying all the same video output or separate?

Each touchpanel is running a seperate instance of Mainlobby. I have one in our gameroom, one downstairs in a common area and on in our master bedroom. There are only 3 of us and we've never experienced any issues using them all at once given they are all just monitors off of 1 computer. The Theaterroom uses the VGA output.

DaveB wrote:The only issue I have experienced is USB distance, particularity with the 2.0 spec. If you get a cable over 3 meters, you start having timing issues.

Dave, did you have timing issues even when using a USB 2.0 extension cable? I've hooked 3 16ft extention cables + a 10ft USB cable up and extended the signal about 50 feet. The secret here is to put a powered hub on the other end since the extention cables use part of that 5v signal to boost the signal and you can only use 3 if you do this because you can only have 5 hubs deep in a USB chain and I needed a powered hub at the end. Even with this I never experienced any issues and my scenes have timed transitions, but I may not be understanding what kind of timing issues you are refering to.

Return to “Touch Screens, Tablet PCs, Pocket PCs, Smart Displays & other Display Devices”