Mimo/D-link 7" USB touchscreen

Found a great input or display device you'd like to share with the forum...post it here.
lathanm
Intermediate
Intermediate

Mimo/D-link 7" USB touchscreen

Postby lathanm » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:54 pm

Has anyone tried the Mimo monitors (http://www.thegadgeteers.com/)? It looks promising. A $200 7" usb touchscreen would be a nice add on for those of us that have tethered screens. The kicker is the usb connection. This opens allot of options.

It also looks like D-Link will begin shipping them soon.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/13/more ... /#comments
Hacker /n./ One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

Pass the popcorn, the movie is starting!

http://project2501.tzo.com/gallery/automation
http://project2501.tumblr.com

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:28 pm

If this thing can function as a primary display, it may breathe new life into some semi-broken systems I have!!

EDIT: And according to this review, seems it can! Neat!!
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

pgale
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pgale » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 am

Wonder how many you can connect to a single PC - for whole house touchscreen use?

Guess control is going to be the issue though unless there's some way to allow a multi-touch interface to work in Windows?

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:15 pm

This Anandtech article mentions DisplayLink "prefers" about 200 Mbps but will scale down as necessary by doing lossy compression, then by dropping frames.

The DisplayLink FAQ says you a typical PC can support up to 6 monitors though it's unclear whether one of the 6 is the PC's normal monitor. So 5-6 DisplayLink devices.

I checked up more, and it seems after setting it up at least, you can define the DisplayLink monitor as primary in its configuration. So it should be possible to do this for multiple rooms, assuming you have USB connectivity to those rooms (via USB-over-Cat5 or similar balun, not to be confused with USB-over-network).

USB-over-network devices (Belkin Network USB hub, Silex SX-2000U2) may have problems as the data stream is high-rate and isochronous.

Some of the DisplayLink displays support Wireless USB, so that should work, if your PC has Wireless USB built-in, or you add a Wireless USB dongle.

Also, Silex America confirmed with me that their SX-2000WG+ (note the plus, it's a different model than the WG without plus!!) has been confirmed to work with DisplayLink monitors over the wireless connection. SX-2000WG+ works over 802.11g. However, since isochronous transfers are limited to USB 2.0 Full-Speed (=11 Mbps rate), I would guess that it wouldn't do well with anything that has constant updates or animations.

If you apply the same limitations/optimizations to your scenes that you would for a slow wireless connection, then it should be fine.

Yeah, the touches would be a bit of a problem, but only if more than one person is trying to use it simultaneously. May happen if you have a lot of drag type operations (sliders) in use...

I can't buy any new toys for a while, so I won't be able to test this first-hand, but if anyone does, I'd be interested to hear your results.
- Brandon

pgale
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pgale » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:55 am

Interesting.

I did read one review after posting here that said they'd connected two MIMO's to one PC without any problems.

The key here still seems to be the USB link though and extending it. The other consideration is power to the device as it takes 500mA through the USB port (although I think there's a DC input on the top model). So for a single cable connection, the USB over Cat5 devices need to also be capable of passing enough power. The more capable USB extenders are also very expensive!

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:17 pm

Generally speaking the USB-over-Cat5 balun device requires power at least on one end and the USB-over-Network devices requires power of its own (and usually provides USB power, but best to check to make sure).

Though I do have a "USB Active Extension" which uses USB power to power the extension (hence its Active designation), so that likely wouldn't work without an additional power inject.

If all else fails (and the display is near an outlet), those "split head" USB cable that let you use USB hard drives by sucking power from an additional port would be able to inject power, combined with a USB power wall adapter. At that point I'd rather get a model with a DC input though. :)

Brandon
- Brandon

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:41 am

In case anyone is still interested, the folks over at CarTFT (in Germany) have more details on their page (in English)
http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1037?u ... Nanovision

In particular, lists the host system requirements for different numbers of displays, and the warning that 3D games cannot be displayed on the monitor, which most likely means Direct3D is not supported on the displays. 3D stuff should technically still display, but performance will be very, very poor.
- Brandon

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:05 am

i just ordered two of them. We'll see sometime in march when the finally ship.
Hooked on HighDef

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Excellent Review

Postby ronsatter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:01 am

I found this great review with lots of pictures and how-to's.

http://www.terracode.com/MIMO_UM740_Rev ... ew_P1.html

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:07 pm

donburkard wrote:i just ordered two of them. We'll see sometime in march when the finally ship.

Hi Don. Just curious if your touchscreens have arrived yet. And if so, how are they working for you?

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Nope. I emailed the guy from The Gageteers last Mon. to see what the deal is and he said he hoped to be shipping them out by the end of the week but i haven't heard anything yet. Believe you me, ill be setting those puppy's up as soon as humanly possible and reporting back to the fine folks on this forum. Im getting anxious.
Hooked on HighDef

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:42 am

Well that F#@&ing sucks!!! I just got an email from the Gadgeteers saying they just got word from their Korean supplier saying that the production of the touchscreen mimo screen (um-740) has been completely suspended. So they have to issue refunds and look like idiots. So i guess i wont be able to test these things out after all.

If anyone finds a different place to get these please pm me or email me immediately. I really want to try one of these things so if you happen to come across one anywhere please keep me in mind.

Thanks
Hooked on HighDef

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:09 am

Ok so after being pissy for a while i started looking around on the web.

Heres what i found. First there is a company across the pond that still sells them. Not to bad. about the same price plus about 60 bucks for shipping over said pond. heres a link if anyone else cares.

http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/index.php

Ok next, after looking around, and browsing ebay, i have found these

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHK840

It seems to be i should be looking more for carputer stuff than anything. Everything i have run into with this small of a monitor points me to some sort of carputer stuff.

Im gonna look around some more and see what i see. ill let you know what i deside to do. If my refund comes back quickly ill most likely get the mimo screens from the UK.
Hooked on HighDef

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Ok so i bought this monitor

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHK1 ... __VGA.html

Its the ten inch version instead of the eight inch. The only thing i can really say about it is buy one as soon as you possibly can! Its great. The touchscreen is very responsive. ML looks great. I only bought 1 simply because i had never heard of Shark brand. Ill be ordering a second shortly. It came with a usb cable, vga cable, power for the home and a cigarette lighter adapter for the car, and a what looks like an svideo to rca adapter. the drivers disk, a stand, and some double sided tape.

The colors look good, and as i said the touchscreen is really responsive. The only real problems i have with it is the stand is a little flimsy. On the other hand i have been tapping it purposely trying to knock the thing over with no luck so im happy with it. Plus it comes with the double sided foam tape so im good to go.

My opinion, Buy one. Its a great little touch screen at only 200 for the 10 inch and 162 for the 8 inch. Im gonna use it as a bed side touchscreen to control the bedroom tv, alarm clock, and lights(eventually).
Hooked on HighDef

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Re: Mimo/D-link 7" USB touchscreen

Postby donburkard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:49 pm

The mimo screens are back and look better than before. mimomonitors.com
Hooked on HighDef

Return to “Touch Screens, Tablet PCs, Pocket PCs, Smart Displays & other Display Devices”