Airpanel v1100? not that anyone ever answers in this section

Found a great input or display device you'd like to share with the forum...post it here.
donburkard
Expert
Expert

Airpanel v1100? not that anyone ever answers in this section

Postby donburkard » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:35 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the airpanel v1100? Does it work? Is it good or bad? anything? Someone throw me a bone hear... The support for touchscreens really needs to be beefed up.

As usual, thanks guys. I appreciate the input.
Hooked on HighDef

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:54 pm

It works, but with very limited support from the manufacturer, it is a risk. You will be mostly out there on your own figuring it out when it does not work. Also, it is rather slow as compared to direct connected solutions. The machine that you are going to RDP into must have a fast processor and lots of free memory, or the results will be far less than expected.

The are more and more touchscreen solutions out there every day, but most are direct connected to a PC.

I run 2 PC's for screens, one with a three headed card hosting three direct connected screens, all looking at there own unique directory and one PC I use for 2 Air Panels vie RPC. The air panels are slow, but still acceptable if you do not use sliding panels and such.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Thanks Dave.

Well I keep looking for touch screens and still am not quite sure what to look for. The one machine i would use it for has a quad core processor and 4 gigs of mem. in it. I can do 8 gigs though, that would not be a problem.

I want one for in my theater and bedroom but really dont feel like spending 1000 bucks on one if i dont have to. I have been seeing a lot of stuff on ebay and other sites but dont know what to look for. I have been hunting for a used airpanel that i can pick up for 100 or 150 just to play with and get used to how it works but again, i dont know which ones work and which ones dont. I wouldnt even mind a pda, nintendo ds, psp or something like that if i could just be sure of what specs i need in the thing for it to work. I am shooting for a used q1 as well simply because i know they work.

As usual, Thanks Dave. I owe you.
Hooked on HighDef

mry110

Postby mry110 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:24 am

I don't know if you have purchased anything yet, but I have been in a very similar situation as you (not wanting to shell out the big bucks). I too was going to buy a Q1 eventually, but could not bring myself to spend $1000+ especially having a 2 and 3 year old around. Well, the announcement of the ASUS T91 looks like an awsome solution. It is a tablet/netbook and should be available in March for $499. I have a feeling once I buy one, my wife is going to want one for herself!

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mnkynifefite » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:55 pm

I have a couple of Q1's and I love them (then again I only use them as ML Clients)...that said I've been waiting for the T91. I think it has potential. I'm a little disappointed in the choice to use the Z520 processor...this might limit it to being an ML only type machine (not multi-purpose). They should have opted for the N270. I can understand cutting costs to offset the touch panel, but the CPU wasn't the place to do it. Also curious about battery life...guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm sure others will disagree, but in my opinion I'd stay away from anything you have to RDP with. I have tried numerous solutions and the results are always the same....slow and disappointing. Especially when you start getting into sliders and ipcamera monitoring, etc. Flash does not lend itself well to it. As Dave mentioned, direct connect or self-contained will always give you the best results. Take it for what it's worth...don't do what I did, save your money a purchase a proven solution. In the end you will spend a lot less $$ and time.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:30 pm

ASUS showed a number of things at CES, one of them was a slate-type Eee model, looks a like like an iMac.

Oops, someone else already mentioned it, heh.

The Atom runs pretty well. Considering I'm still running Stylistics with Pentium II's as my ML screens, that Eee would be a dream - not to mention far more stylish.

I'm looking at the Eee Top as a future Stylistic replacement.
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks guys. Please bare with me here.

Well i, over the last three months, have bought, two airpanels. 1 150 and 1 210. The 150 came all messed up so i sent it back for replacement. Its still on its way. The 210 works fine but i have still been having trouble connecting it. It seems like im doing something wrong. i wish there was a step buy step guide on viewsonics website. Anyone know of any good spots for info?? Who knows if ill actually use it in the long run if it keeps it up. I dont feel like putting access points every 5 feet around my house. BOOOO to 802.11b!!! The network is n and is super fast for everthing else.

It was alluded somewhere (not sure where) that some of the docks they sell for airpanels may be able to boost its performance when its on the docking station. Is this true? Can i plug a wireless N adapter into the back of the dock and use that to catch my signal? If so these things would be great on a night stand in the bedroom.

I have also bought a Q1 and a fujitsu stylistic 3500 in the last three months. The Q1 i got on ebay used. Perfect condition and damn is it sweet! No wonder everyone loves them for ML. My only gripes are no dock ( what the hell where they thinking on this one??) and the screen is a little small. Luckily im only 26 so my eyes are just fine.

Now for the Stylistic... It came with no hard drive so i had to go get one. No biggie. The problem is i cant get windows on this thing. I have know idea how to do it. I have external enclosures, external dvd drives, etc, etc and still no luck. It was the first touch screen i bought and ive just been staring at it sence then. Ive been on pcguide forum trying to figure out how to do it and none of them know how to do it either. Its frustrating!

Thanks for any input. :D
Hooked on HighDef

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:19 pm

I might still have a Ghost image (Sysprep-ed, so no license key) for ST3500... I'll check when I get home.

I installed XP Pro on my ST3500 using the floppy drive (which requires you also have the AC adapter, as you can't plug in the floppy with the battery installed) and a USB optical drive. IIRC, it can't boot off USB, so I had to use the XP boot floppies. I might be misremembering though - it's been a while.

Try the link in this thread. I can't check if it's still on there from where I'm at...
- Brandon

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks!!! i think....

Lets say you do have a ghost image. Then what? Am i gonna need a floppy drive? I have 6 computers and 0 floppy drives. Do i have to get an external drive to use it?

Thanks again.
Hooked on HighDef

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mnkynifefite » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Yup, you'll need a floppy, although any exteranl should work.

I have docks for my Q1's.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Q1-Ultra-Docking-Station/dp/B000W0BVSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231902989&sr=8-1

Granted they are a bit pricey, but the work just fine. Plus the in/out is pretty straight forward.

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:40 pm

Ok well it looks like im going shopping. ill have to go get an external enclosure.

I like those docks, although the more i thought about it i really dont NEED a dock for the q1.

Thanks
Hooked on HighDef

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:56 pm

donburkard wrote:Lets say you do have a ghost image. Then what? Am i gonna need a floppy drive?

Then you mount the drive on another machine, boot Ghost, and restore the Ghost image to the drive.

You'll likely need a 44-pin to 40-pin adapter since the ST3500 uses a laptop drive.

Once Ghost is finished, pop the drive back into the ST3500 and see if it boots.

If it boots, then you won't need a floppy drive.
- Brandon

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:30 pm

BTW Be VERY careful with the flat ribbon connector that attaches the drive to the Stylistic, it can get brittle and fragile. Best to take a small screwdriver and carefully pry between the connector (on the drive end - the Stylistic end just straight pops off) and the drive little by little.

A while back I managed to get a few spare drive connectors off of eBay though, so if yours breaks, or you don't have one, let me know. The 3400 and 3500 use the same connector.

Brandon
- Brandon

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:45 am

... or you partition the drive (Acronis or whatever) into two parts, move the image up onto the drive via USB key, then run Ghost from command line or windows.

I have extra Fujitsu parts if anyone's looking for them. I have two spare P600s (with transflective) and a couple more 3500 docks than I need (if I recall correctly) and I have at least one (maybe two) extra 3500s.

Return to “Touch Screens, Tablet PCs, Pocket PCs, Smart Displays & other Display Devices”