Asus EEEPC

Found a great input or display device you'd like to share with the forum...post it here.
Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Asus EEEPC

Postby Funboy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:10 am

Has anyone seen/tried the Asus EEEPC:

http://www.ncix.com/go-asus_eeepc/

Apparently it runs XP. Wondering if it would be possible to install a lite version of XP and get MainLobby running on it.
- Funboy

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi Funboy,

I haven't tried it on the notebook version but I do have ML running on an EeeBox:

http://promos.asus.com/US/eblast/EeeBox/index.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hell-bent on automating everything! I’m too lazy to do anything else.

www.accessHA.com
Access Home Automation
The ultimate Insteon resource on the web.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:29 pm

I have an Eee 901 myself. The 900 and newer have XP configurations available, or you can install XP yourself - ASUS has the necessary drivers on their site for the ones that support XP.

Note that the primary SSD on the 900 and 901 is only 4 GB, so it's quite small for an XP install with programs. However, if you relocate Program Files to the secondary SSD using nLite, then it's not so bad.

I also use XPlite to pare down my XP installation slightly, just because I already had a license of XPlite available, and its changes are reversible (whereas nLite's are not without a repair or reinstall).

I don't use my 901 to run MLServer quite yet, but it's fine for web surfing and office apps. Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth were the winners for me, and I upgraded the secondary SSD to 64 GB so I can watch movies on the plane. :)
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:30 am

AccessHA wrote:Hi Funboy,

I haven't tried it on the notebook version but I do have ML running on an EeeBox:

http://promos.asus.com/US/eblast/EeeBox/index.html

AccessHA,

How's the speed on the unit - especially when loading thumbnails from DVDLobby?
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:42 am

I have one of the desktops as well and its almost the perfect unit for ML client - POE and smaller to pick nits.

The speed is fine for what I do, DVDLobby thumbs work fine. I will be deploying more of them as needed.
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby MurrayW » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:48 pm

With the price of these about the same as the equivalent netbook, what is the advantage of using the EEE Box vs. just using the netbook connected to an external touchscreen monitor? I know that this is probably heresy to say this, but that would allow you to take it with you if you were traveling and use it for non-ML purposes.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:24 pm

While the netbooks do have fans, at least the ASUS Eee models use the keyboard to vent heat.

If left in a running (not power save) state with the lid closed, it can get pretty hot, which in the long run probably won't be good for it, especially since it'll run the fan harder, leading to eventual fan failure.

The Eee Box may also be less conspicuous, since it doesn't waste space on a LCD and keyboard.
- Brandon

My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:22 pm

mcascio wrote:How's the speed on the unit - especially when loading thumbnails from DVDLobby?

Hi Mario,

Speed is actually quite good running XP. The new model with the ATI graphics card should be even better and it supports HD playback. I could run some basic timing tests but I’m not sure how helpful that would be.

The EeeBox is nice and compact and comes with a Vesa mount to attach the unit to the back of a touch screen. Overall it makes a nice ML client that is energy efficient and cost effective.
Hell-bent on automating everything! I’m too lazy to do anything else.

www.accessHA.com

Access Home Automation

The ultimate Insteon resource on the web.

Return to “Touch Screens, Tablet PCs, Pocket PCs, Smart Displays & other Display Devices”