MusicLobby for Palm OS?

Post your suggestions for improving MusicLobby here
loth

MusicLobby for Palm OS?

Postby loth » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:05 pm

Well, the title says it all... Any chance to get something similar to MusicLobby for PPC on Palm OS devices in a not-so-distant future?

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:18 pm

loth,

Honestly, probably not - at least not for a while. Unfortunately, there is very limited support for Macromedia Flash on Palm devices and no way to get the player into full-screen that we currently know of. You could run MusicLobby PPC in a browser window on the Palm as it stands right now (if your Palm supports Flash); however, a dedicated player would be difficult.

Dan

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:49 pm

Dan,

thanks for your answer. I don't have that device that I'm talking about here yet. It is a Sony Clie NX70V that runs Palm OS 5 and which comes with Macromedia Flash 5 included. I guess then that your suggestion :

You could run MusicLobby PPC in a browser window on the Palm as it stands right now (if your Palm supports Flash)

would then apply, but I don't quiet understand what you mean by that. I have a couple questions:

_ is MusicLobby PPC a .sfw file?
_ if so, how running it in a browser window would be different from a standalone player?

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:59 pm

MusicLobby PPC is an .swf; however, to my knowledge Macromedia does not make a standalone Flash Player for the Palm OS. In that case, you could just open the .html file that comes with MusicLobby PPC and use it in a "browser" window, or we may be able to find a third-party company that has developed a standalone player for the Palm.

Dan

loth

Postby loth » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:50 am

to my knowledge Macromedia does not make a standalone Flash Player for the Palm OS

Have a look there:

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mobile/articles/sony_clie.html

and tell me what you think, does using MusicLobby PPC with this seems feasible or not? It seems to me that this is a standalone flash player on the Sony Clie.

Then the question is, if it looks like MusicLobby will run on this device, will it be able to communicate with a PC over a 802.11b network?

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:15 pm

loth,

It looks like the Clie includes a built-in Flash Projector which would allow you to "run" MusicLobby in full-screen format as it is; however, it would require some code changes/updates on our part. The one caveat that I don't know for sure (those pages are not clear) is whether you would be able to create a connection between the Clie and Media Center to allow MusicLobby PPC to run.

I might have to steal a Clie for a couple days to do some testing. You would also need some sort of connection to your network (Bluetooth or 802.11) in order to communicate with the Media Server. Again, some testing may be required - but it doesn't look all-in-all impossible or even very difficult. I would, at this point, give you an 80% yes that we can port a version of MusicLobby PPC (and truthfully DVDLobby PPC, etc.) over to the Sony Clie platform.

Dan

loth

Postby loth » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:51 pm

wow, that would be great. Keep me posted about how your tests go.
I think it would be worth the effort for you to do these code changes for it would significantly enlarge MusicLobby's market. Indeed, my understanding is that Flash will ship more and more often with the new devices that run Palm OS 5. That means Clie users now, many others very soon.

Of course, I understand what you say about the network connection. I had planned on getting a LAN card for my Clie so that it could connect to my 802.11b network. However, this is still sort of expensive ($120) and whether or not MusicLobby might work on my Clie will definitely help me making a decision about getting one. So, as I said before, keep me posted...

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:57 pm

loth,

Certainly will. Shouldn't take more than a couple of days to get my hands on a CLIE for testing, and I'll let you know what we come up with.

Dan

loth

Postby loth » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:44 pm

bump.

So? Did you get that Clie yet?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:41 pm

loth,

I haven't been able to cross paths with my neighbor yet (he's got one) to give it a whirl. As soon as I see him, I'll ask to steal it for a couple of days and report back my findings.

Dan

Matthias

Something new about it

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:54 am

Its been a while since dreicher wrote that he wanted to get his hands on a clie to try if its possible tom bring Music/Dvd lobby to palm devices(at least to the one playing flash files).
Any news about it??

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:15 am

AFAIK,

The Sony CLIE supports Flash 5 and has some other limitations.

A version would have to be written to make it backwards compatible.

I'd recommend sending an email to Sony asking them to support Flash 6 in their Clie devices. If they did, both apps would work today on them. :)

While I haven't used the Sony Clie devices, they do look very nice and I especially like the keypad. I think it would make a killer remote control.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Return to “MusicLobby Feature Requests”