I think Musiclobby should...

Post your suggestions for improving MusicLobby here
THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

I think Musiclobby should...

Postby THARTIGH » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:25 pm

resemble the internet jukeboxes you see at bars. I realize we need to control more functions but those machines kick but.

I dont know if anyone agrees but the jukebox in musiclobby is pretty useless with a large collection. I have never used it realtime, Ive tried but you know the rest. Which leads to this request.

If you havent seen one, they are a wall mount touchscreen. The page you first see says press here to begin. It has about six covers showing that you can page through, a keyboard on the bottom to type your request, and a slide bar of the alphabet on the side. Once you select something, it pulls all the covers for that artist with a list of all the songs. From there you click the song and answer "yes" or "no" to add it to now playing.

For me, musiclobby is great for home family use. Once friends come over, look out. They start hitting buttons just to check things out. Before you know it, the house looks like a disco with things going on and off.

I would love to mimic the same thing you see at the bar. Even a 5 year old kid can walk up to one and play music.

Maybe you could do a JukeBoxLobby? I keep seeing commercials for a Raphsody. I have not checked it out but integration with something like that would be cool to.

Todd

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:25 pm

Todd,
We are working on all of our media management solutions to address those types of needs. Stay tuned.

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:27 pm

Thanks smooth!

Ripper

Postby Ripper » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:15 pm

I agree with the problem of large collections, I have about 1100 albums in .flac and navigating through them is not easy at all, I think an onscreen keyboard slightly larger than the windows OSK would work wonders at controlling my collection.

As it stands now playing a playlist is not much of a problem but adding songs to a playlist I find the buttons to be *very* small even on a 15 inch screen at 1024x768..paging through album covers does not work well at all.

It has got to the point where I usually just open JRMC and operate it using my touchscreen..its actually easier in *Library* view and if we had something similar to that with the text links play/albums/files changed to buttons that were able to be used by normal fingers this would be even better.

Something like the screen below with a simple up/down button to scroll through Genre/Artist/Albums/Files and then another button that would pop-up a decent size onscreen keyboard would be PERFECT! I can easily navigate with my touchscreen and jrmc in library browser but with Music Lobby its very hard.

I think Music Lobby is an excellent product and probably works pretty good with 1-200 albums but when you have over 1000 and want to play "Elton John" and quickly find a song the current onscreen keyboard is just too small..I can't even imagine it being usable at lower resolutions...jrmc also doesnt have an onscreen keyboard but using the A-Z keys I can easily navigate to it in seconds using the library browser...I cannot do the same as easily with Music Lobby

Either way I'm sure Cinemar has heard this a thousand times and will find a solution that works for all users
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jackpod
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jackpod » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:45 pm

Or to be able to tree by genres, I have 1221 cd's everything from classical to swing to jazz to ragtime to rock 50's, 60's, 70's, 80 and popular and newage. I only have about 60% of my collection ripped and in the thumbs view I already have some 83 pages... Or to tree by artist collections, in other words many artists have stuff that fits many genres. I have several artists that I collect anything I can find from them. For example (as weird as it sounds) I have 59 Frank Zappa (actually 59 discs, several of his "albums are multi disc") How do you classify Zappa, I guess I could create a "weird" genres, but I have several other artists I do the same thing with. I would like to be able to bring up Jukebox with just Jazz or just classical so i could have my guests presented with only the genres of music that interests the age group at the time, rather than have my stuffy classical music friends have to page thru my wifes 20+ Aerosmith collection (just an example)

And I agree, as I have posted before. On my 17" touchscreen at 1024X768 the buttons are to small, and an onscreen keyboard, and circular browsing

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:44 am

jackpod wrote:How do you classify Zappa, I guess I could create a "weird" genres, but I have several other artists I do the same thing with.

You don't have a genre called "Genius" just for Zappa? :shock:

8)

jackpod
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jackpod » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:02 am

Well that is how I classify him, but most people don't agree, same with Philip Glass and Mike Oldfield

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:17 pm

Agreed on those as well. You'll find all three in my collection, of course. :D

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:34 pm

So the deal here is that you guys want to easily search by artist (alpha) or genre, get the album covers that correspond to your selections and then launch via album cover?

Most any kind of sorting you can imagine can be done in JRMC, but the final selection via album cover is where the hitch comes in. I have not used library view, but from the screen shots it looks like JRMC will do this. AFAIK though, library view is not supported in ML.

I guess what I am getting at is: Are you guys aware of the fact that you can build just about any view scheme you can dream up? For instance, I have view schemes for Artist/Alpha, Album/Artist, Album/Alpha, Genre/Artist, Genre/Album, Alpha search/Artist, Alpha search/Album, Alpha search/Song and maybe a few more I cant remember. I know this will not give you what you are asking for, but maybe it will help get ML to work a little better for you in the meantime.

HTH

Jesse

Ripper

Postby Ripper » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:53 pm

Personally I find the current musiclobby inadequate for people with fingertips larger than a 1/4 inch in circumference..I have relatively average fingers and find the small buttons hard to accurately push on a touchscreen at 1024x768.

I understand the basic how the view schemes work in jrmc but another problem I have is navigating through albums, a simple approach would be the letter A-Z like the library view to quickly go to artists...I have 1100+ CD's and it isnt easy to pick songs so in the meantime I have just been launching jrmc and using it instead with the touchscreen until Cinemar changes the layout and functionality.

I can udnerstand most dont have 1100 albums so I might be told "Well most don't have 1100 albums" but the fact is I can control jrmc alone with 1100 albums and don't really have problems, the biggest problem I have is the small buttons(arrows) that cannot be resized and also I think it might be easier to select via alphabet like the jrmc library view..this is quick and painless...I can't imagine having to work this at 800x600 with my fingers and anything but musiclobby itself eating up the entire screen.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:27 pm

Hi Ripper,

Agreed on the finger size thing. Funny that an app. designed for touchscreens works way better with a mouse (for me anyhow).

I dont have 1100 albums. I have around 500, which is enough that I can feel your pain.

Ripper said:
a simple approach would be the letter A-Z like the library view to quickly go to artists...

I have a view scheme that just lists each letter of the alphabet in the left Music Lobby pane. You pick a letter and it then lists all the artists that start with that letter. You select an artist and it lists all the albums by that artist. Pretty sure I have similar setups for song title and album title. I usually just go strait for my playlists, so its hard to remember all the views I have set up.

I read that ML2 will go into beta within days, so here's hoping that it goes well and we can get our hands on it in the near feature.

Jesse

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:04 am

What size touch screens and what resolution are you fat-fingered guys running?

I don't find it to be a problem.

Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the view scheme flexibility is far more key than most give it credit for.

I use an A-Z list in groups of two (A-B, C-D, etc) To filter through over 1100 albums by over 500 artists.

I have another scheme that lists by genre, then artist, then album.

I have other views by "pace" of music and how recently something was added and how long since it was listened to... I haven't found any better program for culling almost 15,000 songs in my library for my tastes of the moment.

:D

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:09 pm

I have been using a Alphabet scheme for a while. But, everytime someone is over they still ask a few questions when they want to use musiclobby.

1. How do I pick songs? Oh, hit options, Library, and pick a way to look for songs from the yellow buttons, top of the left panel. Apha, genre, ect...

2. Ok. how do I add the songs I want to play? Click the little plus sign after the song and it will add to the playlist. If you want the whole album, use the small arrow at the bottom left to go back, and hit the plus sign after the album. To actually listen to the song go to the right panel, scroll to the bottom, and press the song. ( I could change that but I like the songs to get added)

3. Hey, the cover art does not show anymore? Oh, click the little X at the right corner of the left panel.

Five minutes later their wife will ask the same set of questions.
Luckily I have friends that ask before just pressing a bunch of buttons!

Anyone should be able to walk up to a system and be able to just use it. Which goes back to, how do you layout the system. First thing to mind is DaveB's guides that was posted a few days ago. I would like a basic system and a power user system and control which one I would use with a variable. I have been doing all of my scenes like this for a while. I have button's on the main screen, Power user & guest (sets a variable). Now when you press a button to go to a scene it uses a conditional to select which one to go to based on the previous variable. This does not happen for all scenes only a couple.

Hopefully the new version will support some of these type features!

Todd

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Postby blafarm » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:07 pm

THARTIGH,

Very well put. I can't tell you how many times I have gone through the three steps you outlined above with friends and family. There should be at least an option to present novice users with the type of "Bar System" architecture you described.

Do you happen to know the names of any of those system developers? I'd love to review their websites. Guess I don't go out to bars much anymore.

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:16 pm

The most common one I see are:

http://www.touchtunes.com/
They have a nice demo, this is perfect

http://www.amientertainment.com/
Rowe international powered by AMI

Todd
Last edited by THARTIGH on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MusicLobby Feature Requests”