What should MusicLobby be?

Post your suggestions for improving MusicLobby here
JPRafter

Postby JPRafter » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:11 pm

I agree, still have my changers (2000 cd's) as well as my hard drive music (12000 MP3's). I would love to be able to control both in one interface. I would like to emiminate CDJ, and use a stand alone product to control the changers and interface with MUL.

The new MUL should do a better job staying on position in the list where left off from. It should allow thumbs to be positioned to by letter or some method such as page number, rather than scrolling through 1000's of screens. The ability to lock an instance of MUL to a particular zone when it starts. The ability to drag images on the MUL screen and have them associated with the album or song. Use more of the screen area to display titles or thumbs, rather than artwork.

This is one of the most important interfaces in ML for me.

John

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Postby blafarm » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:02 am

This is one of the most important interfaces in ML for me.

Me too, and no disrespect intended, but I believe this product is in desperate need of an make-over.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:27 pm

I would love to see a completely user-defined (and "skinnable") custom-buildable model. Something that relied on commands and variables, rather than a custom one-off SWF model. Dave Evans' Netflix method is really a clean way of doing this. It stores all the back-end stuff in the plugin and pushes just the defined amount of viewable information to the variables. It'd make the whole Music Lobby concept completely back-end oriented and much, much, much more customizable.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:43 am

X,

I agree, however the existing, pre-built Music Lobby should still be included with a customizeable version. For new users it is nice to have something, that while not perfect for every person's application, just works. I can't tell you how great it was when I first purchased and installed MuL and it just worked right out of the box. That first instant success lead to all my other cinemar purchases.

And yes, it is the most important interface in the lobby suite to me too.

Jesse

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:32 am

Absolutely agreed... of course, a "skin" version would give the best of both and make it easy to modify as necessary... theoretically complex, but one just uses the pre-built version as an overlay... and they're up!

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:51 am

I'm using ML in the house and it primarily is used for playing MP3 and XM. Unfortunately, I feel those are the two weakest links in the ML system. I have a Car PC in which I run MP3, XM, GPS, Video, Phone, etc. and have tried a number of great interfaces. At mp3car.com I've used Road Runner, Centrafuse, Frodoplayer and others that are open source freeware models (although I've donated a few hundred bucks so far) but they all offer great skinning and flexibility.

Mainlobby's biggest asset is MLserver which is key if you need to run multiple workstations. However, it'd be great if the ML client software could be more like these CarPC systems to allow for easy/flexible interface layout. I wonder if something like Road Runner could "talk" to MLServer?

Ripper

Postby Ripper » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:47 pm

I agree with the skinnable interface idea or variables for everything..the black and gold interface looks somewhat like it came from the early 90's, while it is a good starting point for newbies I would like the option to use any graphics I create to display Mul...if we could do something like the "Library Browser" in jrmc and had seperate components that were skinnable that would be perfect.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:35 pm

The difference is that MainLobby is completely (or just about) configurable. It is BEYOND reskinning. You can control each button on what it looks like and what it does.

I too have gone through all of the CarPC front ends, but will continue to use Mainlobby. No comparison in my mind.

I am working on putting a better MainLobby install together that has a fully functioning user interface that might even have a few demo pages with different looks and capability demonstrations. I really think this is what has been missing for the first time MainLobby customer from a easy adoption perspective.

The idea is to have all the MainLobby packages working on trial, and configured together into a close to turn key system. If the user wants the optional functionality to continue to work past trial, he would just upgrade the license for that component.

I was even thinking of using some customer contributed scenes as examples and showcases. I am interested to get permission from some that have shared their scene designs to see if they mind being in the "showcase demo". Some names come to mind that have posted their excellent examples:

GregoryX
BSR
JRFuda
SgtBaker
Bago
pkoslow
fungun
JohnWPB

PM me if your name is above, or you haven't posted yet (or if I can't remember you posted your scenes) and want to have your scenes in the Showcase.

Thanx.
smoothtlk (David)

ps. I'll repost this on the screen shots thread as well.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:14 pm

You already know that mine are posted nightly. No need for permission. 8)

Return to “MusicLobby Feature Requests”