What should MusicLobby be?

Post your suggestions for improving MusicLobby here
bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:44 am

we see it far too often in the Cinemar threads ... problems with setting up and using MusicLobby. i think it would be very useful for us to stop pointing fingers at where the problem is currently and focus on what type of product MusicLobby should be or could become.

what i think MusicLobby should do is basically a lot more than it does. i would like to see the current engine behind MusicLobby do a lot less and be a lot more lean than it is.

if Cinemar could select a music serving product that does not much more than serv audio i think that would be a great start. then have MusicLobby maintain its own database of the audio files locations, tags, cover art etc.

some audio players that come to mind are slimserver, foobar2000, winamp 2/5 and quintessential player.
another steve

DeanB

Postby DeanB » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:41 pm

As an ex XLobby user Steve's implementation using Winamp is excellent. User skins added plenty of functionality liking searching - thumbs - recent played, album lists etc. (wish i could do a return in weblobby) - Dean.

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:55 am

What are we talking about in this thread?
Because I think MusicLobby is the MOST IMPORTANT product that Cinemar offers, I think it MUST BE the most robust and easiest product they offer to use, setup and operate.

I truly think MuL needs a complete re-write. a complete re-think of design. One such example could be SlimServer ... which runs on Linux or Windows or Mac OSX ... allows the attachment of ethernet hardware for zone playback (SliMP3's or Squeezeboxes) and also allows the use of "virtual hardware" devices which are included with the server. It has a Web interface, a Java interface, and even a FLASH interface! Obviously it can be controlled LAN or WAN. It also supports all the major encoding techniques including iTunes. the server supports libraries of over 100,000 tracks they claim, but i only have about 17,000 to test it with.

i had it setup and running in under an hour.

see here: http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

and here: http://www.slimp3.rtfm.info/ for other links.

also worth a look: http://www.telcanto.com/description.htm
another steve

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:02 pm

I've bought a SliMP3 about uh... four years ago? Something like that. Since the first version, if I recall... I bought the upgrade to the external case to make it look a little nicer. It's a cool device and the Slimserver backend is a really neat thing. I've run it on Windows and Linux in the past.

I moved to SliMP3/Slimserver from CDJ/SlinkE/changers and was disappointed at the loss of cover-art, lyrics, bios, and various advanced playback functions.

I loved the ability to easily play streaming radio (just drop a bunch of .PLS files into a folder if I recall correctly) and have considered putting it back into the mix just for that (Music Lobby's implementation of internet radio blows), but the constant changing of streaming stations and their other stream-based issues have me preferring the XM anyway.

All that said, I don't use the SliMP3 or slimserver any more because while the front-end was great for picking through albums by artist and album or by genre and album and such, I was more impressed with the JRMC smartlist functionality and cover-art, lyrics, bios, ratings and such fancy stuff.

Of course, it's been a couple of years since I switched so it may be that the smart-list concept has been implemented there and perhaps the other issues are easily addressed and integrated into other systems at this point.

Perhaps I should break out my SliMP3 and give it another go... oh... just rememebered: last I checked, no APE yet... only FLAC. Has that changed yet?

BTW, isn't Roku (or one of their competitors) using slimserver as their back end?

Thanks for the reminder about this cool stuff!
:D

sfreiman
Expert
Expert

Postby sfreiman » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:29 pm

I L O V E MusicLobby. Combined with Velocity Server, my Slink-e and CDJ, it is a dream come true for changer control. I really look forward to the rumored stand alone version.

Hellooooooo MediaStorm...any ETA? :wink:

Chris Morton

Postby Chris Morton » Mon May 16, 2005 6:05 pm

I want MusicLobby to maintain the display of album covers for use with touchscreen monitors. And I want to continue to be able to access my MusicLobby media server via my PocketPC.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: What should MusicLobby be?

Postby gregoryx » Mon May 16, 2005 9:33 pm

Chris Morton wrote:I want MusicLobby to maintain the display of album covers for use with touchscreen monitors.

I don't follow that one. :?

Chris Morton

Re: What should MusicLobby be?

Postby Chris Morton » Thu May 19, 2005 12:29 pm

gregoryx wrote:
Chris Morton wrote:I want MusicLobby to maintain the display of album covers for use with touchscreen monitors.

I don't follow that one. :?

What's not to follow? (Or am I getting MusicLobby confused with "The PC Jukebox" software I've also been experienting with?)

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu May 19, 2005 12:40 pm

Chris,
I too "don't follow".
Do you mean you want MusicLobby to show album covers and allow you to add that album to a playlist by clicking on it via a touchscreen? The problem with that UI method is when you have lots of albums. Hard to navigate, and slower to load than text.

The current UI of selecting from text and then viewing the cover you selected is better (IMHO).

W4ZOO
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby W4ZOO » Thu May 19, 2005 1:17 pm

smoothtlk wrote:Chris,
I too "don't follow".
Do you mean you want MusicLobby to show album covers and allow you to add that album to a playlist by clicking on it via a touchscreen? The problem with that UI method is when you have lots of albums. Hard to navigate, and slower to load than text.

The current UI of selecting from text and then viewing the cover you selected is better (IMHO).

Wrong!!!! BIg Wrong...

I here the same question and answer every time this comes up. Small collections want GUI and large collections are happy with text based.

You need both options, You need to be able to navagate via the touch screen and switch back and forth from text and graphics without loosing your place.

I don't see why we can't have our cake and see it too!
Ken

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Thu May 19, 2005 6:49 pm

I myself would want to scroll through many different choices, but would rather organize by playlists. This seems easiest for me.

W4ZOO
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby W4ZOO » Thu May 19, 2005 7:54 pm

Krumpy wrote:I myself would want to scroll through many different choices, but would rather organize by playlists. This seems easiest for me.

Options for playlist and covers or both.

Besides aren’t you just a little over qualifyed to weigh in on this?
Ken

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Fri May 20, 2005 7:07 pm

congratulations to Mario and everyone involved at Cinemar for recently acknowledging and correcting the long standing bugs with musiclobby and pounding at solution. maybe with this fix i can learn to accept JR MediaCenter and we all can begin thinking about feature enhancements to musiclobby.

i think we have all agreed that some sort of scrolling shortcut would be nice, especially in large collections. a simple alphabetic list on one side would do the trick. i think even small libraries would benefit from it in as well in a "song title mode".
another steve

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri May 20, 2005 8:03 pm

Well - I've been pulling my hair out for the past week trying to make sure that the update to MusicLobby will be rock solid.

Still have some tweaking to do over the weekend. Once we get past this major issue, like you mentioned, we can begin to think of added features.

The performance difference is incredible. It's about 900x faster (If you had 10,000 songs in the now playing area) and more efficient than the prior version when it comes to communication between the client and the plugin.

While it's almost impossible to respond to everyone's request, we are certainly doing our best to make things as simplistic and out of the box ready to go as possible. And at the same time, provide the level of flexibility you've come to expect from our products.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon May 23, 2005 1:18 pm

=P~

Waiting eagerly...

[-o<

Return to “MusicLobby Feature Requests”