Support for some other back ends than J Rivers MC

Post your suggestions for improving MusicLobby here
kingdaddy
Expert
Expert

Support for some other back ends than J Rivers MC

Postby kingdaddy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:01 pm

With all the problems with J Rivers and the support issues it sure would be nice to have a choice for some other (more robust) back end. anything at all, some are more used to music match or some other program they already have, something that will play .vob files would be nice.

Oh and don’t forget circular browsing or a alphabet search function, ya know just press S and it will go right to the page with all the artist that begin with S.
Last edited by kingdaddy on Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mudslide03

Postby Mudslide03 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:53 am

AMEN to losing J River. This product is Junk!

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:36 pm

there is no doubt there are two camps here: those that like it, and those that hate it.

i'm the latter, but it is good that those that do like it have managed to finds ways to make it work.

i've always wondered why MC was chosen as the backend to ML. i like winamp. i use version 2.91 and have never had an issue with it. you can have multiple instances with multiple sound cards. and i can load playlists over 7,000 titles without any issues. it also has great support (plugins, etc.) becuse of a good API.

why MC in the first place?

PP
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby PP » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:44 pm

I agree... Jr gives me grief. Itunes and windows media work so much better...

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:20 pm

How do you build a dynamic playlist in WinAmp? Isn't it still a third-party route to get advanced library browsing? Maybe I'm just missing that side of WinAmp.

:shock:

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:49 am

what is your definition of a "dynamic playlist"?

do you mean selecting a song from your song library and adding it to the current playlist?

jackpod
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jackpod » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:33 pm

from my limited experience, MC does have issues. I have spent the majority of the last few days now with it. I am on disc 381 of over 1200 yet to rip. It will be going along fine and then it will have a problem. The weird thing is it doesn't always respond to the same problem the same way. I had about 150 discs ripped and then it seemed like every 2 or 3 discs I would get the dreaded "Windows must termnate this program......" after about 9 or 10 times it stopped doing that. When it doesn't connect to YADB it used to let me click off the dialog, now it sucks in the drawer and tries to read (learning the hard way I remove the disc before i click it off) then it hangs. for a short time if i would get the unable to connect dialog, i wouldn't be able to terminate the program, i would get the dialog saying i had to wait until the rip was finished before exiting the program, no disc in the drawer, no CPU usage, no hd activity. I would have to shutdown via taskmgr. I have been restarting the program about every 50 discs and rebooting after every 100. But then I put the disc in a second time and it connects to YADB and everything is fine

A backend with selectable options would be nice. In my application i need it to dole out music only, i wish i could remove all the other aspects

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining (well I guess I am) but it seems like it is taking forever to rip my collection, i guess it is a good thing I have the time to spend :shock:

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:45 pm

Personal preference: use EAC to rip. It's more accurate and often faster. With the tags built by EAC, the music will import directly in to JRMC no problems. Then it's just a matter of getting the cover art.

jackpod
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jackpod » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:38 pm

Gregoryx,

thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try

lpott6

Postby lpott6 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:13 pm

gregoryx wrote:Personal preference: use EAC to rip. It's more accurate and often faster. With the tags built by EAC, the music will import directly in to JRMC no problems. Then it's just a matter of getting the cover art.

So are you still using EAC or have you tried the new CD Ripping Engine from Cinemar?

I have not had any issues ripping with J Rivers MC11 and wonder if a switch is warranted.

It seems like an integrated solution, CD Ripping Engine, would be a plus, especially for a dealer trying to create as simple a solution as possible for an end user.
Larry Ott - Denver

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:09 am

Absolutely.

EAC makes the most accurate rips.

I bought the Cinemar ripper but I don't use it. It rips to wave and you have to convert to APE or whatever. Its only strengths are the UI and the cover at.

I'll take quality.

It's probably best for resale, though.

:?

Bizarroterl

Postby Bizarroterl » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:33 pm

My vote is to dump MC. I loaded 350+ DVDs using with DVDProfiler without a problem. After 25 CDs with MC I gave up. Its lookup to YADB sucks. They need to change their instructions to "Keep www.amazon.com open while ripping. You'll need if you want cover art." It took 15 attempts and over an hour to get it to retrieve the tags for Sgt. Peppers.

I can't say it's the worst software I've ever used. Definitely in the top 10 though.

I'm playing my CDs with a CD player.

Sorry for the rant.

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:34 am

Once I got the setup right and Cinemar fixed the "Choke" issue JRivers has been fine for me except for accurate information and coverart. I do like the multi sound card option...which WMP does not have.

I have always been surprised that MusicLobby did not support WMP. I've assumed this was a logistics decision for Cinemar...Mario's more than likely putting in 16 hour days and has probably done so for years. He has to get some sleep once in a while. :wink:

The coverart lookup IS the worst I have ever seen...that one bugs me a lot. Ripping CD's is not supposed to be an "epic" time consuming thing where after the rip you have to manually get the coverart off the net somewhere, download it, save it in the right directory etc etc etc. :?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:06 am

kevind, the coverart lookup solution is being built right now. First for DVDs then for music. Not too far away. Light has been seen at the end of the tunnel.

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:57 am

smoothtlk wrote:kevind, the coverart lookup solution is being built right now. First for DVDs then for music. Not too far away. Light has been seen at the end of the tunnel.

Sweet! 8)

Funny thing about coverart is I have found that DVDLobby is very accurate and am really happy with it's information retrieval. So....it can be done :)

Return to “MusicLobby Feature Requests”