Itunes Integration?

Post your suggestions for improving MusicLobby here
rmiles7721

Postby rmiles7721 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:41 pm

cinemascape wrote:Because I have PURCHASED over 2000 songs from the iTunes music store... so I CANT run MC whatever against those files... they will ONLY play in itunes...

Actually, as long as you have itunes installed, MC will play them just fine, as will winamp with the proper plug-in installed. My main problem is that MC is serious bloatware. I am a registered user, but I hate it now. If I could get decent winamp integration with ML, I might just consider using it.

mosleyh
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mosleyh » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:46 pm

they're not going to release protected-AAC anytime soon, so I will use iTunes.

or you could google JHymn :wink:

edesilva

Postby edesilva » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:40 pm

Hmm... My issue with iTunes integration is slightly different--non-DRM.

I've got about 1200 CDs on a NAS in Apple Lossless format--ripped with EAC, converted to ALAC in iTunes. I've been accessing the stuff using a Mac Mini, which is hooked to my plasma. But, I started thinking about an old setup I ran using an Airpanel 10" touchscreen and ML, and thought it would be great to have iT running via ML so I didn't have to fire up the TV just to play iT.

So, I'm now thinking of ditching the Mac Mini. I'm getting a headless SFF PC (XP Pro) which I'll control with the Airpanel as a remote desktop. I'll run ML to control some USB-based RS232 ports and a USB UIRT to control all the stereo gear (about 1/2 has RS232 control, about 1/2 is still IR). I would love to use the PC to serve up audio to my stereo via a Waveterminal U24 USB audio device. I gather the "way" to do this is to use MainL, MusicL, and MC11.

But, I have *no* interest in retagging my meticulously tagged Apple Lossless files--I've got Artist/Album/Album Art/Trk Info/Date of Release/Genre information that I want access too.

- Do I understand right that MC11 won't deal with the embedded file tags properly?

- Do I also understand correctly that there is no way of runniing iTunes within ML?

- I noted in the tips and tricks, someone was recommending a web-based interface for iT that would run in an ML html window. Would that work if the iT and ML were running on the same ocmputer?

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:24 pm

JRMC does great with embedded file tags - except for embedded cover art.

If you can convert the lossless ALAC to lossless FLAC or APE, you'll be good to go with JRMC and a lot of other players.

Correct, no iTunes in ML currently.

I don't know anything about the web-based iTunes interface; Google?

prstech

existing iTunes PDA remote software

Postby prstech » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:41 pm

It does seem that iTunes is still hanging on in the market. Perhaps not the best solution, but the price is right, and it just works. I have experimented with many of the PDA remote control apps for iTunes. These are the two I have found to be the most reliable:

-Salling Clicker does a very nice job of controlling iTunes running on a WinXP box. Delivers cover art, titles, playlist control, extensive searching and control capabilities using either Bluetooth or IP. Client works from various cell phones, Pocket PC and Palm devices, but there is NOT currently a web client. The only problem I have run into is that when listening to streaming sources the song titles from some stations do not display properly.

-Smashcasi's RemoteAmp 2.0, supports only Pocket PC clients. No cover art though.

Either of these applications should give a good indication of the SDK capabilities. A plugin for MainLobby incorporating the same level of functionality as Salling Clicker would be something I would pay $35 for. Or $85- I'm still trying to figure out the differences between the Package Deals.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:22 pm

prstech, MusicLobby uses J River Media Center. You can play iTunes downloaded songs via J River as well. No reason for an iTunes integration. J River does more. MusicLobby 3 takes full advantage of those benefits.

MusicLobby is $59.99 and J River is an additional $40. Both available on www.cinemaronline.com

MusicLobby 3 availability is soon.

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:38 am

I guess in my case the argument for iTunes is a little different. I use the built in zone capabilities of iTunes via three different AirPort units, connected to three different inputs on my distributed audio.

Then a person can be listening to iTunes, direct that output to the zone or zones of their choice by choosing the appropriate input.

Having to bounce between ML and iTunes is a pain, but I haven't found any ability in Jriver or MU to divert audio to a particular Airport and so on. THAT would be the ultimate for me because then the graphics and controls would be consistent among iTunes and the rest of the home controls, but it's certainly NOT a show stopper. We just deal with it.....
ChrisB

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:37 am

JRivers handles multiple sound cards. Would that not work for your "zone" requirements?

cborod

Postby cborod » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:18 am

Actually I made the commitment to migrate from iTunes to JRMC and MuLobby

It has been an adventure....

First....for those pondering an iTunes > JRMC move, there is the issue of cover art. Embedded in file in iTunes.....basically invisble for JRMC and MuLobby requires a complete download (if you want the cover art)......from the Internet or scan in if you can't get it from the Internet.

Second....zones does work just in my case became a little more involved than expected.

Third.....it is a lot of work but worth it in the end. iTunes is easy and works out of the box....but just, well, ugly......and very "commercial" where MuLobby (not JRMC) gives a great look and feel.

Guess if I had a preference it would be that MuLobby interfaced to iTunes and the Airports.....but Apple does not make it easy for anyone to break into their stronghold.....

All in all, satisfied.
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:09 am

We have looked at iTunes for a while. You would get much less with MusicLobby 3 than you already have with J. River. The only thing iTunes has a lock on is buying itunes audio.

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:05 am

smoothtlk wrote:We have looked at iTunes for a while. You would get much less with MusicLobby 3 than you already have with J. River. The only thing iTunes has a lock on is buying itunes audio.

I refuse to use iTunes. I refuse to go down the path of "Apple Only" In typical Steve fashion it's a total pain in the #$%& since it's once again an Apple exclusive. With so many other options...and good ones...I really don't think it's worth it.

Let's see....there are touchscreen and Home Automation like Homeseer interfaces to: JRivers, WMP, WinAmp (and all can read the same audio formats).

Or there's iTunes....which is iTunes only and takes a helluva time to convert/hack their friggen code so it can be played in other players.

For me it's a no brainer....always stay away from proprietary stuff if possible. Just my 2 cents.

cborod

Postby cborod » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:13 pm

Agreed on the lock on buying music...would that be agreed to the greed?

Anyway.....not looking back, that's for sure, and at our house the integration of music into the whole lobby suite was accepted very nicely.
Sold the airports express units....fully converted.

With Music Lobby and Main Lobby there is lots of wow factor, ease of use......a winner all around!
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

bjdraw

Postby bjdraw » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:32 am

Although this is an old thread I'd like to add why I would like iTunes integration.

Currently I store all my music on my Mac in my office. I bought my first Mac after my first iPod, which I bought cause I liked iTunes. So free software that I like, to an iPod that I loved to where I am now, which is my only windows computer left is my ML Server.

One of the reasons I like iTunes/iPod so much is the dynamic playlists based on play count and ratings. This is by far my favorite feature. (BTW, I don't own any iTunes protected songs)

My problem with switching to JRiver would be, I would loose the ability to update ratings on my songs as I listen and my play count info would not be updated on my iPod. Also I'd have to store my music on my ML Server which doesn't have the space. Also taking my iPod into my rack to sync it would be less than ideal.

For now I am using ML to send IR commands to my Apple TV, which works good, but no cover art or other nice UI like music lobby provides, on the remote.
Ben Drawbaugh
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

iTunes revisited (once more)

Postby DaveB » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:30 pm

smoothtlk wrote:We have looked at iTunes for a while. You would get much less with MusicLobby 3 than you already have with J. River. The only thing iTunes has a lock on is buying itunes audio.

I figured I would dig up and old thread. Smooth or Mario, the above quote may be dated, but I must say, that as time moves on, like it or not, I find that most of my music is migrating to iTunes. It simply works well, and all of the family has multiple types of iPod players that synch every day. I find myself using iTunes more than jRiver, and the family always goes to the media PC to play music, rather than my well crafted screens that took me months to perfect. This is actually getting very agrivating.

Is there any chance that this is getting closer or even on the list? Others in the industry have adopted it in full force. Not that you must be like the others, but I do think that adding such capability might just make the software more appealing.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:47 pm

It's very near the top of the list. Actually did some testing today on it. The Jukebox mode on this plugin is completely different from the one used in J River and is simply put - awesome. We're hoping to roll out to a beta group soon. Ideally we can get version 1 released prior to the holidays since that's when it will really get used.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Return to “MusicLobby Feature Requests”