Itunes Integration?

Post your suggestions for improving MusicLobby here
cinemascape

Itunes Integration?

Postby cinemascape » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:21 pm

Hey... guys... I've been searching these forums hoping for itunes integration ... an Mario just keeps saying that there is no way to talk to itunes... thats BS.

http://developer.apple.com/sdk/itunescomsdk.html

I quote from the description on the /sdk page:

"This SDK provides header files, documentation, and sample JScript files demonstrating how to use the iTunes for Windows COM interface. COM is the Microsoft technology, similar to AppleScript on Mac OS, that allows programmatic control of iTunes from languages like JScript, Visual Basic, C#, and C++. This SDK requires iTunes for Windows version 4.5 or later. [May 5, 2004]"

The SDK Windows Developer kit was released back in MAY, and specifically ALLOWS external programs to communicate and CONTROL itunes...

So.. what gives? When can we expect this?

Thanks!

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:56 am

Geez... we've got enough troubles with MC... I'd hate to see energy spent trying to get iTunes going. What's wrong with running both against the same files, if you really need / want iTunes for some reason?

cinemascape

Postby cinemascape » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:47 am

Because I have PURCHASED over 2000 songs from the iTunes music store... so I CANT run MC whatever against those files... they will ONLY play in itunes...

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:43 am

Ouch, :shock: I had considered itunes in the past, I did not know that they were tied to a specific player.

Are you absolutely positive you can't download some sort of digital rights management stuff that will let other players play your itunes files.

For example, MC can play Quicktime, Windows Media and Real Media files (and more), all of which can have digital rights management, by simply installing a little DRM "plugin" for each. So, for example, when I play the WMA's I downloaded from Wal-Mart.com, MC runs them by the Microsoft DRM plugin (or whatever it's called) and checks that I do in fact have licenses for the files, once this is done, MC plays the files. This entire process - except for the very first time you play a DRM-protected media, is completely transparent.

Post a question over at JRiver's forum and see if it can manage itunes (although you may have already done this). Considering that Quicktime and itunes come from the same folks, I don't see why one would be enabled and not the other.

I agree with gregoryx though, it's enough of a challenge getting MuL to work well with one player, adding more to the mix would just create more headaches - HOWEVER, there's nothing stopping someone who is fluent in the languages you mentioned from creating a plugin that could make this happen (although probably not with MuL, but with a user-created ML scene - some others have already done this because they like their custom music-playing scene better than MuL).

cinemascape

Postby cinemascape » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:05 am

Yep. AAC files are tied to iTunes...

But thats the whole point... thats why Apple released the SDK... so 3rd party programs could control iTUNES and play songs without the DRM!

jrfuda
Expert
Expert

Postby jrfuda » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:40 am

cinemascape, any frustration in the following post is directed at Apple and not you, so don't take any offense.

<rant> Apple is pulling a big Microsoft on this one (or are they pulling an Apple of yesteryear?). They are accomplishing 2 things by not adopting a DRM-type solution.
1. They're attempting to weaken M$ by forcing people to use only their Media Player. Can't really blame them for this one ;)
2. They're making it extremely difficult for the average Joe (who can't even spell SDK) to use anything other than itunes to play their music.

A DRM-type solution would make itunes music universally playable everywhere with little or no user interaction while still protecting Apple's and the artists' rights. Having to author an interface for every single application that wants access to itunes music is crazy. Shame on Apple! </rant>

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:54 am

I disagree with ranting on Microsoft or Apple on this. This is a DRM issue driven by the RIAA; Apple, Microsoft, and others are simply looking for a way to capitalize on the RIAA situation by making formats and controlled readers / players that will make the RIAA satisfied with the DRM enforcement. While the SDK is a great way to go about making things accessible, it will not - and can not, for DRM issues - ever make this stuff work like an open format. That's the whole point of DRM-enforcement-encoded content.

It's their stuff... I guess they can do what they want with it.

I find the whole "buy it on the net and it's controlled; buy it on CD and we can't trace what you do with it" aspect pretty funny. That will change eventually... but it'll be a LONG while!

cinemascape

Postby cinemascape » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:06 am

I agree. And if there were a better solution I would use it...

But quite honestly, and I'm not some apple fanatic gone wild, as I do have a powerbook... but I also have 7 PCs... hehe (4 as HTPCs...).. I just find the iTunes / Music Store to be the most elegant solution. And it's not just AAC... I can still do MP3, Apple Lossless, or AIFF if I want.

I'd just really like to see some effort made to control iTunes/iPod in this HTPC software.

Apple just announced their earnings for the last quarter, and get this... sold over 2 MILLION ipods. LAST QUARTER! Thats a 92% market share.

Their market share is GROWING! Imagine being able to control your ipod through MusicLobby... then take it with you when you left the house.

THAT, my friends, would be cool... and a worthy addition to Cinemar's lineup.

cboyd

more Mac talk...

Postby cboyd » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:37 pm

Actually, to pipe in on this thread. I was (*was*) a loyal windows user and it was only after running ML, MuL, XMLobby, WebLobby and all this lovely joy, that I went out an bought Progears with idea of littering the walls... it worked very well.

... until someone was using my Home PC and infected it with some BS worm from Yahoo Mail. EVERY Machine in my home became infected (as yes, I use enterprise class McAfee on the machines).

I had it, and was sick and tired of the constant patching, etc. for Windoze. So I too switched to an iMac G5 and I think it's the best machine i've ever had. So I ditched my ThinkPad and bought a PowerBook. best decision I've made -- much more stable platform for business apps that I need.

So the home automation front is a war zone. My plan, now that Santa just dropped of my new Polk XM Reference tuner, is this:

Windows Adv Server 2003 (on an internal DMZ, non-internet accessable)
HAI OmniPro is installed, so I plan on running HomeSeer and MainLobby suite on the WinServer. Progears are too slow to run ML in my opinion, so I will use RDP (thin client) for the 3 Progears, which will also let the Macs use the application via the Win Remote Desktop program.

So all this to say, the WinServer will be the only weak point in the setup that I'm not comfortable with. Mac OS X is a very stable UNIX platform, and I would love to see a MLServer package for it.

I too run iTunes, and will for the foreseeable future. I like the interface. I like the iPod and I like iTunes Music Store. All DRM issues aside, they're not going to release protected-AAC anytime soon, so I will use iTunes. Using the Apple Airport Extreme as remote speakers feeding my CAV6.6, I'll be able to integrate at least some of this. There is a new peice from KeySpan that plugs into the Airport Express USB port and allows iTunes control via IR. Using the Slink-E and ML, I can then control iTunes. For now, it'll work, but I'd like to see integratation, ala MuL, so we can do cover art, etc.

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:55 pm

well, now that all the ranting has settled down <grin> maybe we can go back to the original question ...

is there a way to implement control of iTunes through the iTunes SDK using ML as the frontend ?
another steve

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:01 pm

You - of course - need to direct this to Mario. :?

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:02 pm

oh, i have my friend ... i have ... ;)

good to have you back Greg!
been way too quiet around here since Wed. afternoon!
another steve

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:57 pm

Snow boarding in Utah for a couple of days!

8)

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:02 am

I know we had a couple developers that were working on some basic iTunes plugins. But I haven't received anything at this point. Cinemar is looking into supporting iTunes in a much more integrated fashion through a couple of our existing products. No details are available at this time as it's still early in development.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

mzemina

iTunes users, why not convert?

Postby mzemina » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:06 pm

I need to ask, why don't those of you that are using iTunes use one of the utilities out there to convert your .aac files over to .mp3 or another format? If you want to be using one front end (MusicLobby) why not convert all your music into one format?

Mike Zemina

Return to “MusicLobby Feature Requests”