integrate add new cd into ml

Post your suggestions for improving MusicLobby here
dreamhost
Intermediate
Intermediate

integrate add new cd into ml

Postby dreamhost » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:52 pm

I realize this would be a HUGE amt of code but in the long run would be very nice to see...

At this point in time, it's actually a bit annoying on how we go about adding in new cd's to our list. I use the jriver product as most everyone else has to do right now, and manually add in cd's the normal way.
This route is a bit annoying.

What I would like to have:
1. Ability to simply put in a cd into the drive, click a button in ml for adding a new album, have it goto the drive and copy the cd to the hd, all without having to leave ml.
2. Ability for when adding a new cd, to have ml search the net for the covers, popup a box with the choices it found so I can select the most appropriate cover, and have that cover added automatically.

I went to a local high end audio store and watched a demo of their own system. Granted it was 100x what ml costs, but still, there were some very nice features.
What really got me, was the ability to put the cd in and have the hd record it with a click of a button. The music was then added transparently to the available albums.
All of that was done with only a click of a button. Even my gfriend could do that, where she is hesitant to even touch the ml setup at home.
Even I have to admit, I do not look forward to adding music to my server the way it works right now, it's just to time consuming, and frankly really annoying that I have to leave ml to accomplish it.

Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying... I LOVE ML!, these are just improvement ideas

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:19 pm

That one is well on it's way. You'll love it....

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:09 pm

DVDs, too, I hear! :wink:

dreamhost
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby dreamhost » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:26 pm

smoothtlk wrote:That one is well on it's way. You'll love it....

is there an e.t.a? or a demo?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:13 pm

It is probably tied up with Dan and Mario's house moves. I suspect they will be back to it in a little bit.

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:58 am

No ETA at this point. We're still working out a few kinks in the encoder controls for MP3 and OGG. Beyond that, everything seems to be coming together nicely.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:19 am

Don't forget APE format!

Pleeeeeez! :D

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:09 pm

WAV, MP3, WMA, and OGG Vorbis are all currently supported. We're looking at adding APE and FLAC in the near future to round things out. Here's basically how the system works:

1) Insert a CD. The drive will automatically recognize a disc change and determine if the CD is an audio CD.

2) It will then automatically grab disc information and a cover image (if available). Select the tracks you'd like to rip and press 'Rip CD'.

3) Our CD Ripper will head out to the internet to find as many potential cover matches as possible.

4) Look through the possible cover art matches to find the one you like the best and select it.

5) You CD will begin ripping using your predefined encoder, bitrate, naming structure and directory - showing progress for each track as it goes.

As you're ripping your CD, the system will automatically add your new tracks to J. River Media Center along with the correct cover art file and eject your CD when it's completed.

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby MurrayW » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:33 pm

gregoryx wrote:Don't forget APE format!

Pleeeeeez! :D

I'll second the request for APE support!

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:48 pm

Looks fantastic, Dan. I love the options to choose album info and cover art; the latter is an improvement over Media Center, even. And having the cover art display immediately - versus after it's ripped - is another improvement over Media Center.

APE is a MUST... please raise it higher in the priority list. You've left the two formats I see most used (APE and FLAC) out!

Great work, as always.
:D

Return to “MusicLobby Feature Requests”