CD controls in MusicLobbyPPC

Post your suggestions for improving MusicLobby here
John Danciu

CD controls in MusicLobbyPPC

Postby John Danciu » Tue May 04, 2004 11:44 pm

I don't understand!!!
I've just bought MusicLobbyPPC only to discover that you cannot control the CD drive. No play, no rip, nothing.
I am using a headless PC and I needed this piece of software to control it.
I spent a whole night to find info about this but to no avail. It looks that it is not implemented.
Isn't anyone interested in these features at all?
In my opinion without them this is just half of a remote.

John Danciu

ChemicaL

Postby ChemicaL » Wed May 05, 2004 12:06 am

From the description of the software on it's products page, I don't see where it's supposed to do that.

It does mention that with the required J. River package you can rip and such, but that's from the J. River software, i.e., since media center or media jukebox is required, you also get the benefits their software gives you.

MusicLobby-PPC is a client to Media Center, just as MusicLobby is.

It would be kind of cool to control my CD drive from it tho, altho of limited use since music gets ripped to disk for distro throughout the house.

John Danciu

Postby John Danciu » Wed May 05, 2004 5:26 pm

"Setup is fast and easy thanks to J River's Media Jukebox 8.0 or Media Center 9 software. Because of our partnership with J River, we're able to provide many of the powerful features directly from within MusicLobby PPC. Some examples include: support for over 80 media formats (.mp3, .wma, .wav, etc.), cross-fade between songs, gapless playback, etc. Plus you'll gain all the benefits of Media Jukebox/Center such as CD Ripping, MP3 Encoding, retrieve cover art from internet, etc."

If you read carefully this means:
You are getting many of the powerful features directly form within MusicLobbyPPC ... Plus you'll gain all the benefits of MJ/C (and I understand via through MusicLobbyPPC not via a separate interface)...

But my point here is not to get my money back. I just want to know if there are other users that consider this a must have feature.

You are right in saying that the ultimate goal is to distribute the music throughout the house but I don't see it reasonable to expect that when I want to add a new CD I have to connect a monitor, mouse and keyboard.

I agree that it might make sense when you rip your entire CD collection at the very beginning, but even then, you don't do that in an our or two.
So you would have to move your monitor back and fourth for a month or even more. Not to much fun or sense in my opinion.

So my next question would be: Is it technically difficult or there isn't any general interest in having these features. At least I now I have to quit hoping.

Regards,
John Danciu

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed May 05, 2004 6:42 pm

John, do you have another PC on your LAN that has a monitor? If so, then use RDP via XPPro or Thinsoft ($300) or VNC (free) PCAnywhere to control your headless HTPC from a networked PC.

I put a DVD in my HTPC and then use RDP to burn the movie to the hard drive, managing the operation from my desktop PC.

John Danciu

Postby John Danciu » Wed May 05, 2004 9:04 pm

I have my PC in the basement and the music machine on the second flor.
So I can see a good way to stay fit.
Thanks for the suggestions and for gracefully avoiding a direct answer.

Best regards,
John Danciu

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu May 06, 2004 2:24 am

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly: you read something and ASSumed that it will be able to whatever it is you want it to do (like wash your dishes or whatever) and then turn to being rude to the people trying to help you figure out what you were wrong about in the first place? Of course, you aren't even accepting that maybe you read a bit too much into the description - uniquely gifted lingual analyst that you are.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I got that right.

I'm charmed to make your acquaintance, I'm sure.

There are ways to use the products that we are all using here to do some real interesting things. ML PPC does not do what you've assumed that it does. Oddly, you could even use RDP on your PPC to do a bit of what you want, but it seems that you aren't interested in a method to accomplish what you want to accomplish but for someone to make the solution do what you assumed it would do.

If you're interested in finding a way to make things work and willing to try using a little honey instead of vinegar, we busy bees might be attracted to help you solving your issues. It may not be the exact way you assumed, but we're a pretty creative bunch when posed with a solvable challenge.

Feel free to rip on me, of course - you or anyone else - since I'm sure there will be those that think I'm out of line here.

Cheers!

Return to “MusicLobby Feature Requests”