Will the new music lobby still control Sony CD Changers?

Please post general questions about using this product.
User avatar
DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible
Posts: 11071
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:39 am
Location: Metamora, Michigan
Contact:

Postby DavidL » Sun May 18, 2008 11:32 pm

I would not count on a new version of Velocity Server. Many promises by the developer, with no updates.

Rip the songs...

User avatar
mediastorm
Developer
Developer
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:27 am
Contact:

Re: Any update on Velocity Server?

Postby mediastorm » Mon May 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Fro wrote:Before I upset the wife by purchasing a couple drives and start ripping my 2x400 disk changers, are there any updates regarding the enhanced Velocity Server?

I'd like to continue to use my existing setup until it flat out dies but I'm thinking at this time that we aren't going to see an update to Velocity Server.

My only other option is to really chap her @$$ and spend my evenings writing my own interface between MuL and CDJ. Needless to say, I'll be sleeping on the couch if I chose the latter.


It is coming.., I started on the updates early last week and am making good progress. The intended target date is before Independence Day including testing to a few beta users. More info will be posted as it becomes available.

MediaStorm

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Re: Any update on Velocity Server?

Postby sfreiman » Tue May 20, 2008 7:40 am

I like Mediastorm's answer better than smoothtlk's. Viva Velocity!

User avatar
mediastorm
Developer
Developer
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:27 am
Contact:

Re: Any update on Velocity Server?

Postby mediastorm » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:23 am

mediastorm wrote:It is coming.., I started on the updates early last week and am making good progress. The intended target date is before Independence Day including testing to a few beta users. More info will be posted as it becomes available.


This is still in progress and active. I will post an update with more specific timing as soon as the update is very close to release.

Beta testers will be notified separately prior to that to allow adequate time for testing prior to the upcoming release.

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby sfreiman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:10 am

How does one become a beta tester?

User avatar
mediastorm
Developer
Developer
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:27 am
Contact:

Postby mediastorm » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:34 am

sfreiman wrote:How does one become a beta tester?


I will post a notice for those interested but you will definitely be on the list.

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby sfreiman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:38 am

And the unrulely crowd chants "No Changer Support No Peace"

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby sfreiman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:43 am

Is this still alive? :shock:

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby sfreiman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:37 pm

And the question continues unanswered

Fro
New Member
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:32 pm
Location: Allen, TX
Contact:

Postby Fro » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:46 am

Yes it does... That's why I've converted to drive based.

I now have 10K files taking up about 53GB of a 500GB drive, 3 zones being fed from the server hosting them to other parts of the house and I have easy access to the collection from work whereas before I had to start up Windows Media Encoder to stream the CD's across the internet (and anyone at home had to listen to what I wanted to listen to).

It only took about 2 weeks (2 hours a night) to rip 586 CD's and make sure everything got either looked up correctly or entered in manually.

It took a lot of pride swallowing though and convincing myself this was a better idea because I hate to see my investment in $800 worth of changers just sitting there holding CD's and doing nothing more.

I have a CDP-CX400 and a CDP-CX455 if anyone wants to make it worth my while to empty them out, box them up and ship them. Currently going for about $100 and $225 respectively on ebay so for $400 even I'll include ground shipping via FedEx.

Note: the CDP-CX400 does have a crack in the door from pressure put on it during a move but it does not impede performance at all, infact I've been using it for 4 years since the crack occurred.

User avatar
gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible
Posts: 6599
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:15 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Contact:

Postby gregoryx » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Fro wrote:Yes it does... That's why I've converted to drive based.

I now have 10K files taking up about 53GB...


... and, FTR, using lossless compression is one of the reasons folks don't want to go to drive-based. So if I were to argue in favor of drive-based, I'd consider FLAC or another lossless compression format over lossy. Since that'd be at least 150GB, you're using lossy.

My biggest argument FOR changers is for high-rez / multi-channel audio; but that's not supported at this point, of course.

sfreiman, I'm curious why the attachment to the changers?
I didn't enjoy dumping three changers, but the end result's not too bad.
I could see the argument toward high-resolution / multi-channel audio for a while there, but that's not gaining as much ground as I'd hoped it might.
What's the attachment?

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby sfreiman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:20 pm

Still more questions than answers.

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby sfreiman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:23 pm

gregoryx wrote:
Fro wrote:Yes it does... That's why I've converted to drive based.

I now have 10K files taking up about 53GB...


... and, FTR, using lossless compression is one of the reasons folks don't want to go to drive-based. So if I were to argue in favor of drive-based, I'd consider FLAC or another lossless compression format over lossy. Since that'd be at least 150GB, you're using lossy.

My biggest argument FOR changers is for high-rez / multi-channel audio; but that's not supported at this point, of course.

sfreiman, I'm curious why the attachment to the changers?
I didn't enjoy dumping three changers, but the end result's not too bad.
I could see the argument toward high-resolution / multi-channel audio for a while there, but that's not gaining as much ground as I'd hoped it might.
What's the attachment?

Not so much an attachment, but I just think there is no point to having changers for DVDs, but not for CDs. If it was practical to have both video and audio hard drive based, then I can see the point. Otherwise it's just half assed and stupid.

Fro
New Member
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:32 pm
Location: Allen, TX
Contact:

Postby Fro » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:01 pm

I'd have to agree with Gregoryx on the reason that most people don't want to convert... and I can appreciate that. I think we are dealing with to groups of people here though:

1. Those that sit and listen for the enjoyment of it. These people probably have a listening room and have probably spent a lot of money on gear that is dedicated to that room and don't have a wife telling them they can't put those speakers in there because they look ugly.

2. The rest of us, that are trying to meet the needs of convenience over quality.

Personally I fall in category #2. We have a huge collection of music of all genres and we like to be able to play it at any time and anywhere in the house. However, EVERYTHING in our house has it's place and according to my wife, electronics have no place in our house. So everything has to be hidden.

In this situation, it doesn't make a difference if I use lossless or lossy. When the tiny speakers are hidden behind plants or pictures, I'm not going to hear the true fidelity of the source. It's more for ambiance in our house, to enjoy some music while we're relaxing or talking. When I came to this realization it made perfect sense to me what my solution should be.

So I did a test of my own to see where my listening limits were in a standard listening environment in our house. I randomly picked CD's from the collection and ripped them as 48KHz 16-bit WAV, 256Kbit MP3 and 128Kbit MP3. I then listened to the original CD, feeding my Sony 5.1 Receiver optically, and each of the selected songs in each format from a SBLive 5.1 card through the same receiver using the analog outputs.

I noticed a difference at 128Kbits were I felt it was enough of a difference that ti was unacceptable. Between the WAV and 256Kbit MP3 though, there wasn't much of a difference in my mind, or at least not enough for the average listener to hear. There was a minor difference between the digital feed off the CD and the ripped versions from what I could tell but I think that was due to the slightly off stereo separation of the sound card compared to the changer.

In my opinion, it wasn't enough of a difference, for me anyway, to make casual listening unacceptable and therefore I chose to rip the entire colelction at 256Kbit MP3. This makes it easy to transfer the files to iPods, PSP's laptops whatever. I can also install (and have) Media Jukebox on PC's and connect from anywhere in the world to access my music. Comes in real handy at work.

Now... I haven't ditched my CD's, and I have no intentions to. They're just a new storage problem I need to resolve which may result in some handy-dandy wood work on my next vacation. I plan on investing in a nice, single-disc or 5-disc changer that will remain part of the system in the "media room" when we expand and I have kicked her out of that part of the house. But for right now, the decision to rip was based on convenience and flexibility in a non-ideal listening environment. If you can tell the difference between the CD version and the MP3 version through the speakers in my kitchen... I'll give you my house.

To each their own and I can appreciate the steadfast devotion to the changer. However, in my case, it came down to having two kids and a wife and picking my battles and meeting my current needs.

Should anyone want my changers the offer is there... otherwise they will someday become part of a standalone jukebox system with built in amp and speakers and touch screen that will sit in the poker room.

sfreiman
Expert
Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Postby sfreiman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Fro wrote:I'd have to agree with Gregoryx on the reason that most people don't want to convert... and I can appreciate that. I think we are dealing with to groups of people here though:

1. Those that sit and listen for the enjoyment of it. These people probably have a listening room and have probably spent a lot of money on gear that is dedicated to that room and don't have a wife telling them they can't put those speakers in there because they look ugly.

2. The rest of us, that are trying to meet the needs of convenience over quality.

Personally I fall in category #2. We have a huge collection of music of all genres and we like to be able to play it at any time and anywhere in the house. However, EVERYTHING in our house has it's place and according to my wife, electronics have no place in our house. So everything has to be hidden.

In this situation, it doesn't make a difference if I use lossless or lossy. When the tiny speakers are hidden behind plants or pictures, I'm not going to hear the true fidelity of the source. It's more for ambiance in our house, to enjoy some music while we're relaxing or talking. When I came to this realization it made perfect sense to me what my solution should be.

So I did a test of my own to see where my listening limits were in a standard listening environment in our house. I randomly picked CD's from the collection and ripped them as 48KHz 16-bit WAV, 256Kbit MP3 and 128Kbit MP3. I then listened to the original CD, feeding my Sony 5.1 Receiver optically, and each of the selected songs in each format from a SBLive 5.1 card through the same receiver using the analog outputs.

I noticed a difference at 128Kbits were I felt it was enough of a difference that ti was unacceptable. Between the WAV and 256Kbit MP3 though, there wasn't much of a difference in my mind, or at least not enough for the average listener to hear. There was a minor difference between the digital feed off the CD and the ripped versions from what I could tell but I think that was due to the slightly off stereo separation of the sound card compared to the changer.

In my opinion, it wasn't enough of a difference, for me anyway, to make casual listening unacceptable and therefore I chose to rip the entire colelction at 256Kbit MP3. This makes it easy to transfer the files to iPods, PSP's laptops whatever. I can also install (and have) Media Jukebox on PC's and connect from anywhere in the world to access my music. Comes in real handy at work.

Now... I haven't ditched my CD's, and I have no intentions to. They're just a new storage problem I need to resolve which may result in some handy-dandy wood work on my next vacation. I plan on investing in a nice, single-disc or 5-disc changer that will remain part of the system in the "media room" when we expand and I have kicked her out of that part of the house. But for right now, the decision to rip was based on convenience and flexibility in a non-ideal listening environment. If you can tell the difference between the CD version and the MP3 version through the speakers in my kitchen... I'll give you my house.

To each their own and I can appreciate the steadfast devotion to the changer. However, in my case, it came down to having two kids and a wife and picking my battles and meeting my current needs.

Should anyone want my changers the offer is there... otherwise they will someday become part of a standalone jukebox system with built in amp and speakers and touch screen that will sit in the poker room.

I have no need for multi-room sound, since living in an open loft only allows one to listen to one thing at a time. I have a 2TB storage unit just sitting in a box, so it's not like I can't rip my CDs. I just don't see the point unless I can get rid of my 3 DVD changers AND my 2 CD changers. To me half a solution is a cheesy solution. Either one goes ALL hard drive based, or don't go at all.


Return to “MusicLobby Questions & Answers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest