CD Ripping Engine for MusicLobby Released

Please post general questions about using this product.
mcascio
Founder
Founder

CD Ripping Engine for MusicLobby Released

Postby mcascio » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:57 pm

Release Date: 11/01/04
Product: CD Ripping Engine
Version 1.00

Description
In an effort to make music library management extremely intuitive in the home, Cinemar has released our own CD Ripping Engine for MainLobby. Although it doesn't require MusicLobby it is the perfect compliment.

In the past, users were expected to interact with J River's Media Center to add CD's to their Library. Now the user can simply insert a music CD and view Album information, then rip directly from within MusicLobby's attractive user interface. Cover art, track titles and tagging are completely automated as well as adding to your existing library within MusicLobby. The user can also select preferred tracks for ripping.

Features
> Supported ripping formats (MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV)
Use J River Media Center to autoconvert to other formats such as APE
> CD, cover art and track lookup
> Automatic file tagging
> Adds CD to existing J River Media Center library and MusicLobby
> Rip to networked drive
> Create multiple ripping stations (control ripping process from any connected client including wireless devices)
> Auto-discovery of disc when inserted in drive
> Increases overall end user experience
> Simplifies the ripping process for absolute novice users (only 2 steps with onscreen prompts)
> Ripping progress indicator notifies of disc completion and disc ejection
> Touchscreen friendly
> Define filenaming directory structure

Requirements
> MainLobby 2
> MLServer

More Information
http://www.cinemaronline.com/cdrippingengine.html
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

PP
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby PP » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:31 pm

Hi Mario,
Nice feature... Question what is it using for a coverart lookup? I dont like the JRiver lookup I find it not accurate. Windows media I use just to tag cover art.

Does it have a way to point to databases or is it set and cannot be changed?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:48 pm

PP,

We are using AMazon for cover art lookup. The user is provided with many options for the cover art. You can't point it to any other database.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby MurrayW » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:08 pm

Mario,
You state:
Use J River Media Center to autoconvert to other formats such as APE

Do you mean to continue using J River if you want it in APE format and ignore this latest enhancement to MuL?

Or to use MuL to convert it to WAV then convert from WAV to APE within J River? If so, will cover art, tags, etc. carry over if this is done?

Any plans to add APE as a supported format?

thanks,
Murray

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:18 pm

Murray,

We suggest ripping to WAV using our CD Ripping Engine then using J River to autoconvert for you.

See the help file from our website which explains where to find this feature within J River. You could use the autoconvert feature once a month depending on how often you add music to your library.

This gives you high quality audio today, and then the autoconvert feature of J River will then replace the wavs with smaller APE files if thats what you prefer.

We do plan to add APE support but don't have any details as to when.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:45 pm

Argh... useless without APE!
:evil:

Alright... not useless, but a pain to have to go back to MC to convert everything...

mcascio wrote:> Rip to networked drive
> Create multiple ripping stations (control ripping process from any connected client including wireless devices)

... actually, THOSE are some pretty neat features!

Okay... I'll give it a rip :wink:

Thanks for the new toys, Mario!
:D

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:08 pm

Mario;

Slow down; I can not keep up with the downloads. One new item per day is getting to be a bit much!!

Does the "Full Version" of music lobby now include the ripping add on??

I need to buy Music Lobby, ML-PPC and the Ripping add on, and want to buy the correct package.

Seriously; Keep up the great work!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:17 pm

Gregory,
Baby steps. :)

Actually, I imagine you could automate the process of scheduling the conversion process using Girder. Otherwise it's a total of 2 clicks. Not something the significant other should do anyways, but it something that can go on behind the scenes if the user prefers another format.

DaveB,
We are on an accelerated pace...many things have been done for quite some time, but just needed bottling up and or slight mods to them. I imagine our long work days of 10-15 hours doesn't hurt either and the fact that I'm finally settling into the new home.

MusicLobby does not include the CD Ripping Engine. You will get a free upgrade to MusicLobby 2.0 though as a bonus. :)
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

BernieBl

Postby BernieBl » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:18 pm

I am thinking that this can be a usefull tool. But agree with the others that APE format would be a must for me as i already have started to rip my CDs from my jukeboxes. I didn't notice is there a trial version available?

I also see the free upgrade to MusicLobby 2.0, although this is a very tempting offer, can you tell me if ML 2.0 will run under the current MainLobby version or will I be forced to upgrade MainLobby to run MuLobby 2.0? Also what would be the planned price for MuLobby 2.0? Just trying to figure out if this is a good deal or a great deal? :)

Thanks
Bernie

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:03 pm

Hi Bernie,

Lets say you start ripping all your music from here on out using the new CD Ripping Engine with lossless wave format. Then 3 months from now, go into J River Media Center and convert any files that are not APE to APE by pressing 2-3 clicks. It will automatically remove the old WAV files and replace them with APE. During that 3 months, the end user has benefited from the ease of entry and no extra work has been done by the admin person. Do this as often or as little as you want. While I realize it would be nice to RIP directly to APE, I don't think it should be a deal breaker for anyone.

Unfortunately no trial version is available.

You had some excellent questions regarding pricing and future requirements. These are all currently unknowns at this point. Our original intent was not to even release the CD Ripping Engine until MuL 2.0 - but didn't feel we should wait until then since it still may be a ways off and well - it's just too cool to let it sit around. We felt selfish holding on to it. :)

We have not defined all the new features that will be included in MuL Version 2 which makes it difficult to asses any pricing issues and are still working on ML3 contstantly making changes along the way.

Sorry I couldn't provide better answers, but the fact is we don't have any definite answers at this point until things are further along.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:11 pm

Bernie,

MusicLobby 2.0 will work with MainLobby 2.x and not require MainLobby 3.0 or higher. I hope that helps clarify things.

BernieBl

Postby BernieBl » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:41 pm

Mario and Dan,

As usual,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions, you are making it hard for me to resist !! :)

DanielSiegel
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby DanielSiegel » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:29 pm

Sounds like a great new addition.
If I am currently using Media Center (automated upon loading CD), can I just switch to this new Ripper? Do I need to be careful to avoid corrupting the DB (dont quite understand whether the DB is maintained by Media Center, ML or both)?

Also, I finally set up Multi-Zone control thru ML, Girder and MediaCenter.
I saw posts from this Summer explaining why all ML clients show the same screen (ie, last action shown on all clients). Will MusicLobby 2.0 change this behavior? Or are we still waiting on a J River update? This seems like a very basic Multi-Zone feature. I can control everything for Multiple Zones, but cannot limit the UI to display different Zones on a per-client basis. Has anyone come up with a temporary workaround?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:37 pm

BernieBl,

We're deigners and programmers first. Our salesmanship may be lacking since you didn't already jump on it. :)

Daniel,
Yes - you can switch to our ripper. No you won't affect your database. It actually adds it directly to J River Media Center for you after each track is ripped.

The goal is to make MuL 2.0 compatible with Media Center 11's new features that they are still working on. Multizone display being one of them.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:23 pm

I'm having a bit of trouble with cover art on the new cd ripping engine. It correctly identifies the cd and shows the appropriate coverart, but the coverart I choose is never actually saved with the tracks, therefore it never shows in MusicLobby or Media center. Everything else works great. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to “MusicLobby Questions & Answers”