Replace Niles SPS-6 with Remote or RS-232 Equivalent

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Replace Niles SPS-6 with Remote or RS-232 Equivalent

Postby T.Wells » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:55 am

Hello-

I am looking for a cost effective way replace my speaker selector (listed above) with something that does the same exact thing but can be operated with a remote (IR) or RS-232 (for use with MainLobby)

I use a single source for all 6 pairs of speakers on my system. Each pair of speakers is in a distinct room (kitchen, office, dining room, living room, sun room, and family room)

I really don't need to have control of different zones of music as my 1st floor is fairly open. This pretty much dictates that the source must be the same in all rooms. I would just like to be able to select which rooms are currently 'on' instead of going to the equipment closet and manually pressing buttons or adjusting the volume knob to 'off' in each room. To be able to control the volume in each room remotely would be a plus but not necessary.

I would like something that can control 8 pair of speakers as I am adding rooms in my basment.

So far, I have found this device and have decided that a Russound CAV6.6 is too expensive.
http://www.hacs.com/ab8ss.html

Thanks for your suggestions.

-T.Wells

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:28 pm

I'm looking for exactly the same thing - whole house audio on the cheap! I have a few speakers around the house that I'd just like to play whatever's on the main sound system. I have no need for multiple source / multiple program units. I just want to pump my sound from the amp to several selectable rooms. The unit you found actually looks pretty good from what I've seen. Almost nothing comes with remote capabilities and at $159 it's really not a bad deal. I sent an email to the developer of its Homeseer interface, and here's his reply:

The AB8SS is a really nice unit. I've had two running without issue for over 6 years. They're really solid.
I've written a plug-in for HomeSeer that enables you to control the unit with HomeSeer events, or through HomeSeer's scripting interface. With it, you'd be able to query the unit to see how many speakers are active (so you can adjust master volumne) as well as rapidly turn on/off multiple speakers at a time. Controlling the unit via X-10 is very time-consuming, as each speaker command takes about 1.5 - 2 seconds to process. IR is faster, but HomeSeer would not be able to determine the status of active speakers. This may or may not be an issue for you. The plug-in is available through HomeSeer's store. You can download it and take it for a test drive for 30 days to see if it meets your needs.

One thing that I'd personally like to add to this unit though, would be for a way to convert the stereo feed for single mono speakers. In hallways and small rooms stereo is overkill and not needed.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:22 pm

I've considered the same thing and I could write a MLS plugin. Anyone wanna help pay for my unit if I write the plugin?

Only thing is one couldn't control the volume separately from each speaker pair. So by the time you buy an amplifier for each pair to control the volume separately, you're right back to spending $700 or so. Might just be better to purchase separate amps for separate volume control and control the speakers that way.

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby T.Wells » Fri May 18, 2007 1:33 pm

Krumpy wrote:I've considered the same thing and I could write a MLS plugin. Anyone wanna help pay for my unit if I write the plugin?

Only thing is one couldn't control the volume separately from each speaker pair. So by the time you buy an amplifier for each pair to control the volume separately, you're right back to spending $700 or so. Might just be better to purchase separate amps for separate volume control and control the speakers that way.

Krumpy,

Are you still interested in writing a MLS plug-in for this unit? I am interested as I am getting ready to make a move into this direction.

Thanks,
T.Wells

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri May 18, 2007 1:58 pm

We now have a "MLMAudio" plugin that allows for switching of an MAudio Delta series sound card's inputs and map to outputs.

If you had a multi channel amplifier (dirt cheap now a days) connected to the MAudio outputs, then you could turn one set of channels on / off and route inputs to correct outputs.

That is another means of not just turning off speakers, but also of what sources goes to what speakers. What you cannot do, is alter the volume within the MAudio plugin. The hardware does not support this. The volume would be controlled at the Input side (like via MusicLobby / J River). You could take a multichannel sound card output and pipe that into the MAudio card. And then the outputs of the Maudio goes out to an amplifier.

You could also use Cinemar's AMP152 stereo amps if you want a clean packaging (no external amp required).

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Fri May 18, 2007 11:48 pm

Workable wit an MAudio 410?

Like to give it a try.....
ChrisB

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat May 19, 2007 6:55 am

It should work the the 410. We need to make a mod to it before any release. Here are some docs in the meantime
http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/wiki ... dio_Plugin

cborod

Postby cborod » Sat May 19, 2007 9:10 am

thanks...keep me in mind when it's ready.
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby T.Wells » Sat May 19, 2007 12:17 pm

smoothtlk wrote:We now have a "MLMAudio" plugin that allows for switching of an MAudio Delta series sound card's inputs and map to outputs.

If you had a multi channel amplifier (dirt cheap now a days) connected to the MAudio outputs, then you could turn one set of channels on / off and route inputs to correct outputs.

That is another means of not just turning off speakers, but also of what sources goes to what speakers. What you cannot do, is alter the volume within the MAudio plugin. The hardware does not support this. The volume would be controlled at the Input side (like via MusicLobby / J River). You could take a multichannel sound card output and pipe that into the MAudio card. And then the outputs of the Maudio goes out to an amplifier.

You could also use Cinemar's AMP152 stereo amps if you want a clean packaging (no external amp required).

Hello Smooth,

I am certainly interested in moving forward with something. The AMP152s may be of interest as I am building a PC for my rack now and having a clean install would be nice.

I guess I need to work out the $$ to see where both options come out and then look at the added functionality of the M-Audio Card and such.

I guess all I need is a single source with 8 pairs of selectable speakers. With that, what do you think is my best option. If a multi-channel amp (cheap rack mountable?) has this capacity via IR, I guess I could use the USBIR6 thingie to select speakers, no?

Thanks for the help,
T.Wells

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby T.Wells » Sun May 27, 2007 1:50 pm

smoothtlk wrote:We now have a "MLMAudio" plugin that allows for switching of an MAudio Delta series sound card's inputs and map to outputs.

Smooth,

I am sorry for this stupid question but could you give me more details on how to use M-Audio with AMP152's?

Let's say that I am using two outputs from my PC's audio card as sources. As I understand it, these get connected to the M-Audio card. The M-Audio card gets connected to the AMP152 to drive the speakers. If I have 8-pairs of speakers, how do they get worked into the system. Do they hook to the AMP152s? If so, how do I select which speakers to use if they are hooked up the AMP152? It would seem that whatever is connect to the AMP152 would get sound? No?

Thanks,
T.Wells

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby T.Wells » Wed May 30, 2007 7:26 am

T.Wells wrote:
Smooth,

I am sorry for this stupid question but could you give me more details on how to use M-Audio with AMP152's?

Anyone??

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed May 30, 2007 8:16 am

T.Wells.

If you have a multi channel sound card, you can associate sound card output channel pairs in J. River as zones. These sound card outputs then connect directly to the AMP152 signal inputs. For 8 zones, you would need 8 AMP152s. You can also use a multichannel amp plus AMP152s to fill in the gaps.

What additionally are you trying to do that requires the M-Audio sound card?

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby T.Wells » Wed May 30, 2007 2:05 pm

Thanks Smooth.

I guess I really don't need a M-Audio card. I would just like two sources for my 8 zones.

How many speakers can the AMP152 power? I am not looking to rock the house, just provide some background music. How do the speakers connect to the AMP152 as well?

Thanks,
T.Wells

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”