Retrofit wiring

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
jkbs

Retrofit wiring

Postby jkbs » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:32 am

We built our house about 9 years ago. At that time we installed a video distribution system using a channnel vision modulator. We had two satellite receivers which could be viewed anywhere in the house. (There is an IR receiver in each room as part of the whole house audio system for remote control.) This works fine with composite video in and coax out to SDTVs. A couple of years ago we upgraded to HD in the main room (DLP TV, HDTivo). Now the TV in the bedroom has died and we bought an LCD monitor. OTA HD looks great, but the modulated feed from the HDTivo is pretty mediocre. An added plus would be sending the 777es/ DVDLobby signal to the bedroom

What would be the best way to get component video and digital audio to the other room? Running several coax cable runs? Running Cat 5 with baluns on either end? Including the ups, downs and turns, the run would be about 75 feet. Retrofitting either type of wire will be a PITA, so I might as well go with what will give the best picture.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:21 am

jkbs,

I would recommend a matrix switcher to allow for distribution of HD throughout the entire home:
http://www.cinemaronline.com/hdtv_switches_crm84.html

We have a serial plugin to control this switcher or the Neothings.

Then run at least one Cat6 to your location. These baluns can then supply the component signal to your LCD:
http://www.cinemaronline.com/products.500050.html

They also have digital Coax Audio connections on the box itself. I personally use the Russound for the whole house audio in most rooms, so there is no need for that. An additional one or two Cat6 to that location would enable some future proofing in case you need to run a different type of audio or something like the global cache for IR/Serial control.

Hope that helps.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

jkbs

Postby jkbs » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:29 pm

Mario,

Thank you for your help. So you have had good luck with the CAT 6 wire for this application? I noticed that in the Video Storm FAQ they recommend RG6 instead of CAT5 (See Below):

Many times we are asked about video distribution over CAT5 cables. Here are some things to consider when evaluating this approach.

Pros:

Cost of cables, CAT5 is much cheaper than RG-6 or RG-59
Single cable can route upto 4 signals
Cons:

Attentuation (loss) is much higher at frequencies > 4 Mhz than RG6
CAT5 is not shielded at all, will have interference from adjacent signals and environmental EMI.
Delay on seperate signals is not well matched. This causes picture "blurring" with component video.
RJ45 connectors do not have good impedence control, they will cause signal reflections.
CAT5 cable was designed and specified to carry digital signals or very low frequency analog (voice). These signals are very tolerant to interference, and do not require high signal to noise ratios or flat frequency responses. RG6 cable is designed to carry high frequency analog waveforms while maintaining very low interfence.

Conclusions/Recommendations

RG6 is a much better choice for high quality distribution of analog video, especially HDTV. CAT5 can be used, but you will have to accept the picture quality degradation caused by the lack of shielding and high frequency attenuation.

Thanks,

Jkbs

HAL_MAN

Postby HAL_MAN » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:38 pm

You could use sheilded twisted pair, it does not cost very much more then the unsheilded vareity.

Regards,
Shawn Walsh

scotthpdx

Postby scotthpdx » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:48 pm

jkbs,

So if I am reading this right, your suggestion is to still use the matrix switcher near my equipment. The component video and audio outputs from the videostorm will go to a baluns (component/audio to COAX). I then run the COAX to my end points. There there is a COAX to component/audio baluns. I then take that component output and audio into my TV.

Correct?

Scott
What would you like to automate today....

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”