how to setup audio/video distribution?

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
dreamhost
Intermediate
Intermediate

how to setup audio/video distribution?

Postby dreamhost » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:58 pm

Well I finally got everything setup and running in the theater and now the gfriend is telling me she wants it in the bedroom as well. LOL I have no idea where to even start so I'll list what I am currently doing and what I'd like to accomplish.

current setup:
PIV 3.0 'server' setup that contains about 20 hd's containing tons of riped dvds (original file format-multiple vobs), thousands of .wmv files, and my music collection.

I then use a crappy celeron computer that uses thinsoft to connect to the 'server' computer so that I can get mainlobby on the screen without having to run in on the cerleron as it's not fast enough to do it alone.

Finally I have a hitachi touchpanel running basic linux that uses vnc to connect to my crappy celeron so I can get the mlobby on there.

-the computer uses a vga splitter with one cable going to my infocus 7210, and the other going to my 2nd monitor. That allows me to watch dvd's on the projector.
-the computer has both stereo cable and dolby coax cable going to my denon 5803 for the audio from the computer.

I also have a sony 400dvd changer ir model not 777 that plugs into my denon 5803 for archived dvd's. It is going to be controled by dvdlobby once the new vs. is out.

-----------
What I'd like to accomplish:
1. I have a regular 36" tv in the bedroom that has only composite and svideo input--going to upgrade to plasma later this year. There is also a second receiver in the bedroom with it's own speaker system.

I'd like to somehow be able to watch dvd's and video's that are on my 'server' in the bedroom as well as listen to the music on there.

I'd like it so that I can watch a different dvd in the bedroom, either from the server or the changer (in the future), than what is playing in the theater on the projector.

I ordered the samsung q1 a couple of days ago for the bedroom as the main remote for mainlobby.

-----------------
Now the question is how to best go about doing this....
I've looked into moded xbox, dlink, tvix, and roku, but they all have their own issues, not to mention I really want to use the mainlobby interface as the gui is so much better.

I am of course capable of building another computer for the bedroom, it's just, if possible, I'd like to stay away from that route. I've never before seen a good picture coming from a computer video card through svideo to a tv. Tried that.... didn't work at all, looked horrible.

I really have zero idea where to start and would love to hear from the experts. Budget is <$1k for this project.
beta system setup:
windows media center 2005
pIV 2.8 (oc 3.0)
2g pc3500
6600gt agp
mce150 tuner card
audigy 2xs
redrat ir blaster
2x lite-on dvd burners 8x
2x 74g raptor boot drives raid
16x 200-500gb storage drives - mostly usb hub attached

dreamhost
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby dreamhost » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:37 pm

Well it's nowhere near a perfect solution but I modded a couple of my old xbox's yesterday and so far they're working really great. It's amazing what xbmc can do. What's shocking is how well the upscaled video looks on the plasma. I'd say it's close to 85% of what my custom theatertek setup can do.

Obviously I can only stream media from the local hd or from my server, but it's a start.

I'd really like to hear how people are going about doing whole house networking the 'right' way.
beta system setup:

pIV 2.8 (oc 3.0)

2g pc3500

6600gt agp

mce150 tuner card

audigy 2xs

redrat ir blaster

19rookie83

Postby 19rookie83 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:10 pm

We are just getting on our feet. I just finished the back-end coding/setup for the centralite elegance lighting system 10 mins ago.

Most of the equip for this project is on its way still, but we have in our possesion the ADA-16, audio/video distrubtion box. I should be writing the control code for this next week sometime. Check it out, it is quite spendy but is a very solid solution.

scotthpdx

Progress

Postby scotthpdx » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:33 pm

I am trying to do the same exact thing. Did you get this figured out?
What would you like to automate today....

dreamhost
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Progress

Postby dreamhost » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:37 pm

scotthpdx wrote:I am trying to do the same exact thing. Did you get this figured out?

A lot has changed since I posted in June. First I've moved from the condo to a new house which was huge for me.

I've yet to start the build for the new theater setup as the weather has been downright horrible here. In the meantime I did turn one of the upstairs bedrooms into an office/theater for 2. After painting the room I was able to get all the wires run through the walls and attic with a central server closet setup.

A few equipment things have also changed. The computer is now dedicated for win mce, and I've picked up a dual xeon box to run my mainlobby setup. The bedroom tv's are now all plasmas so I have dvi/hdmi inputs instead of component as a future option.

In each bedroom I have installed a moded xbox that connects to the server via cat5. This allows me direct access to everything on my server in a VERY userfriendly interface. Seriously.... it's so easy that anyone with half a clue or over 8 years old can operate everything.

I am no longer using vnc on the touchpanels, and have switched over to thinsoft which is absolutely amazing software. I have much better connection to the server using rdp than I ever had with vnc, and it's much faster. I am using viewsonic touchpanels and the samsung q1 (really don't like it, kinda a huge letdown on expectations) to control everything.

In the server closet I have the xantech ir emitters on all my equipment and the receiver is in the center channel speaker in the theater. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to use more than one hd dtv receiver but never did figure out how to get the emitter to only send a signal to an individual emitter. So, unfortunately each room still has it's own pvr instead of in a central location.

I'm not to worried about that problem as it sounds like cable card is going to become a reality very soon and the 360's are already setup to pass the signals. Online rumor has it that there is even an mce for the 360's in progress, which will of course allow hd streaming instead of just standard def with the old xbox's. If that does indeed happen, then a whole new world will open up for everyone.

Latest project is adding in the 100+ insteon dimmers to the house. Painters just finished the inside about a week ago. Man was that a big job. I'm just glad to have no more ladders and scafolding in the house anymore.

Anyhow, to sum it up, I've made some progress towards my final vision, but have not completed everything as of yet.
beta system setup:

pIV 2.8 (oc 3.0)

2g pc3500

6600gt agp

mce150 tuner card

audigy 2xs

redrat ir blaster

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”