Expandable speaker switches

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Expandable speaker switches

Postby rlindblad » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:01 am

Has anyone looked at these:

http://www.hacs.com/ess.html

They are by the same person/company that made the AV8SS. I have been waiting for these for awhile. I have a bunch of speakers around the house that I have no volume control for, so the whole zone is on a single control. I am planning on using these to configure a matrix switch that is rs232 serial controlled so I can have any of the connected speakers attached to either of the two output zones. This way it is all controlled via the touch panel through ML instead of wall controls.

Anyway, he apparently is taking pre-orders now.

Bob

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:15 pm

Looks very interesting. Expectations for 2-way serial?

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:52 pm

Yes, the current protocol for the AB8SS does 2-way. I'm not sure if it provides the info you might want, but I think it should. The current AB8SS gives you status info as well as commands, so I'm assuming the new ESS will also give you status info.

FWIW, I'm also expecting that since I only plan on serial control, and not using IR or X-10, that I will already have the state info.

After an email exchange, I have found out that he needs 100 pcs to get the assemblies complete. I am giving him an order for 10 pcs or so myself, so I don't think that should take too long. :shock:

HTH,

Bob

FYI - At one point he was looking around for someone to do investment cap. He has a significant following over at the Homeseer board with his AB8SS switch. He also has a modular component video switch that he is marketing...

scotthpdx

ESS

Postby scotthpdx » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:28 pm

I am chatting with support from ESS and they wanted to know if anyone has written a serial interface for ESS.
What would you like to automate today....

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:25 pm

Only over at HomeSeer.

It has always fallen off the list since the manufacturer (or owner) drops out of sight for extended periods of time, and is slow to deliver products on time. He had a great idea 5 years ago, but that is the problem.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”