Cinemar Promotion : HDTV + Digital Audio over single Cat5

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
jebrew

Baluns

Postby jebrew » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:20 am

Yes, they're straight...would you even get a picture on a crossover? Looks like you'd be trading the Pb(T) for the Y(R). If they were both T or R you'd end up swapping the colors for those channels right?

The problem I'm having is more akin to bad channel reception. There's a large band (approx 1/5 of the image) that shifts the image ~3-4 pixels on my projector (that's not a big deal and if it was just that I wouldn't even bother), and shifts the gain for the green up probably in the neighborhood of 50% for a normal cat5, and about as low as 15% for the stp/s cat6. That might not sound like a lot, but trust me, when people are having a dramatic moment on the screen and they suddenly look like they're getting really sick, it's annoying.

Still no word back from svideo.com's tech support. Not that I'm complaining yet, I expect e-mail responses to take about a week anyway. If I haven't heard anything by next week though, I'm calling. I'd call now, but I don't like talking on the phone...and I'm fairly lazy.

Jebrew

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:33 am

And it looks right when you have it hooked up with component cables??? It sounds EXACTLY like when I have set a plasma to RGB input type (RGBHV) instead of Component (Y,PB,PR) input. It worked, just looked like crap...

FWIW,

Bob

Anonymous

Re: Disappointing

Postby Anonymous » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:38 pm

jebrew wrote:In all cases there was such significant loss in quality that the video was simply unwatchable. There experience was akin to watching signal broadcast TV on an older TV with no antenna. Large amounts of distortion and a giant green bar moving along the vertical hold. I'd expect this quality from a tv from the 80s watching a vhs tape that was over 20 years old, not from a dvd player with component out running to a projector with a 480p native resolution.

Then again, it could just be a bad batch. Stay tuned for a rating on the customer service of svideo.com (I've just sent them an e-mail letting them know of my disappointment).

Hopefully I will get the units replaced and they will just have ended up being bad ones.

Jebrew

It's a ground loop problem if you are getting green bar moving along vertical. Search for ground loop on google to read about it. Component is analog so any ground loop problem will show up in the video image. It's not a problem with the baluns.

A quick way to diagnose it is to run everything through the same electrical circuit. Take an extension cord and run all your remote devices into the electrical outlet where your signal originates from. The green bars should disappear.

There are some fixes to the problem none that are cheap.

jebrew

Waiting to exhale

Postby jebrew » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:32 pm

Well, it's been a while since I've even checked this forum. Still no reply from svideo.com...been to busy to call.
The problem is definitely not with the RGBHV.

As for the grounding loop, that sounds like a good theory. The DVD player and the projector started off on the same power strip (isolated completely from the entire rest of my components). I was getting really horrible line noise in the audio (moving the player to the tv and using a shorter cord resolved it), so I assumed moving the dvd player over to the tv area would remedy the problem, so I needed a way to get the video over to the projector. Not wanting to clutter my space any more, I decided the baluns would be a good solution. When I first got the baluns, the dvd and projector were still on the same power strip and I got the noise, but there was a significant reduction in noise when I moved it to the other power strip (the one with all the rest of my crap on it). I assumed this was just because I was finally using shielded network stuff instead. Later this week I'll bring the entire mess into my work and test it in more isolated conditions.

Also, on a side note, the guy in the cube next to me has gotten his baluns in (different type, but still Y/Pr/Pb to cat5). His doesn't have audio and I'm assuming the two types will be incompatible, but I'll post our opinions of the comparisons later this week. The baluns he got are of a comprable price, but dont include an audio transfer line, and you have to have your own component cables for the endpoints.

Thanks for the idea pstar

Jebrew

phcjpp

Postby phcjpp » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:37 am

Hi All,

A mutch better solution for you may be the Kat5 system.

www.kat5.tv if I remember correctly.

No loss of quality whatsoever.

About £170 a pair over here can get them from

www.laser.com

Chris

jebrew

Pwnd by cable

Postby jebrew » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:25 am

Okay, well, it ends up the ground loop theory was spot on. Unplugging my coax cable from the wall not only removes the lovely cobalt blue and purple bars, but it removes all the line noise from my stereo. As long as the tv isn't plugged in, everything is happy...so now I'm off to radio shack to see if I can snag a line filter to see if it can eliminate this garbage.

So to recap:
1. Product was delivered as promised, very promptly, good service.
2. svideo.com tech support never responded...they suck for that.
3. The product works wonderful, just be aware of things such as the ground loop and the coiling of your wires (btw, did a quick check this morning, unshielded cat5 50' works fine)
4. The wiring in my apartment sucks.

I highly recommend the baluns, they've practically eliminated all the clutter around my place, and as soon as I get a ceiling mount, it will have eliminated all of my clutter. :)

Jebrew

hoju

576i/576p?

Postby hoju » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:58 am

It's interesting to hear of other people's experiences with these baluns. I'm thinking of getting a pair but I have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer for. I looked on the manufacturer's site and also sent an e-mail to svideo.com (and got no reply :roll:), but with no luck.

It's probably a really simple question :oops:, but do these support 576i/576p? I've found mention of 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p support, but not 576i/p. I'm assuming that they would work, as it sounds as though there isn't any signal conversion going on, but has anyone tested them?

Cheers,

Hoju

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:48 am

I have the baluns, but no source for 576i/p. OTOH, you are correct, they perform no freq conversion so there is no sane reason why they will not work.

HTH,

Bob

ranchhand

Postby ranchhand » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:58 pm

I came accross this forum google searching...

I am very interested in buying the component over ethernet adapters from svideo.com but would like to know about user experiences, how good are these? any signal loss? any one run 1080i over them?

thanks much!

wbonnell

how do transfer ir thru this system?

Postby wbonnell » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:45 pm

Is there a way to send the remote commands without another unit??

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:09 pm

ranchhand,

It's been a while since I read through all the posts in the this thread...but as far as I know, I haven't heard of one dissatsified customer thus far.

wbonnell,

AFAIK, there isn't a way to transfer IR through the baluns. You'd want to look into our Global Cache device for IR distribution over Cat5.
http://www.cinemaronline.com/globalcache.html
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:26 pm

ranchhand, I missed your post as well. I use them for 1080i over unshielded cat5 - probably only a 15 metre run, but picture quality on a 42" plasma is perfect.

Thinking about it I now also have a 15 metre run from my media server to a Neothings component switch and on to another 15 meter run to a 42" plasma - picture quality at 1080i is excellent..

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:36 am

I have a questions regarding the digital audio feature. Is the connection for digital audio a RCA connection? I assume it is but I just want to make sure. Thanks, Chris

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:52 am

I don't have the unit, but that is what it says in mario's first post of the thread.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:17 am

chrismd77 wrote:I have a questions regarding the digital audio feature. Is the connection for digital audio a RCA connection? I assume it is but I just want to make sure. Thanks, Chris

yes.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”