Cinemar Promotion : HDTV + Digital Audio over single Cat5

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
mcascio
Founder
Founder

Cinemar Promotion : HDTV + Digital Audio over single Cat5

Postby mcascio » Wed May 04, 2005 2:04 pm

We stumbled on to this product that distributes HDTV (component) + Digital Audio over a single Cat5. We were skeptical at first but willing to give it a try. Needless to say, we were quite impressed with the quality even over long distances.

This Component Video+Digital Audio Tranceiver (#500050) allows you to use a single Category 5 cable to send HDTV. It is used in pairs and supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video formats for hi-definition (HDTV) video applications.

The picture shows the tranceiver and the short cables to connect the component video directly to your equipment. The back of the unit also has an RCA jack for digital audio (S/PDIF).

We worked with the vendor to provide Cinemar forum members with a special discount on this item as well as any other item from http://www.svideo.com for a limited time. To receive 10% off any purchases including the above item, just enter cinemaronline in the coupon code when checking out.

To jump directly to the item listed: http://www.svideo.com/1080i.html
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

mhernie

Postby mhernie » Sun May 15, 2005 10:42 am

These adapters look very promising. I just ordered a couple of pairs and will post my feedback also once I've had a chance to play with them.

I was looking at these before, but aren't available yet, require two cat 5e cables, and are much more expensive:

http://www.audioauthority.com/9870wn.php

The wallplates from the audioauthority device do like sweet though...

-----------

On a separate note, has anyone ever attempted to distribute component HDTV through a video capture device and then stream the signal over their home network using software like VideoLan (VLC)?

Are there any HD capture cards that can take in a standard component signal for playback on your PC?

I know that this can currently be done with low quality S-video/composite and regular TV capture cards, but don't know much about what's available for component.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun May 15, 2005 11:35 am

mhernie,

Keep us posted on your results. I now have 3 pairs in the house and love it.

One of the things I like about these over the Audio Authority is that if you are trying to do a very clean look such as a plasma and don't want all the cords dangling around, all you need to do is run a cat5 from the wall vs. three cables for component. This also saves you a few bucks on an extra component cable. The Baluns come with a velcro sticker so it can be mounted to the back of the display making it unnoticable.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:23 am

Question on the unit...
Does it require power? I assume yes... if so, can it get power over the Cat5 cable from one end?

mhernie wrote:has anyone ever attempted to distribute component HDTV through a video capture device and then stream the signal over their home network using software like VideoLan (VLC)?

If you can get the compressed DTV MPEG stream and redistribute that, then it should be possible. IIRC, that's what some folks at AVSForum were doing. If you can't get the already-compressed then you'll need a super-fast machine in order to compress the HD image down to a transmittable size.

Even at YPbPr space (2 bytes per pixel), 720/30p is over 52 MB/sec or about 442 Mbit/sec so you'd need to achieve at least 5:1 compression for a 100Base-TX network, though a Gigabit network would probably be OK if that's the only traffic on that segment. For wireless, which would be most ideal, you'd need better than 10:1 compression.

The incoming DTV stream is usually 19-25 Mbit/sec, so that's easy to stream - mostly a matter of having an adequate decoder at the receiving end.

Brandon
- Brandon
My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:26 am

Brandon -

Ironically I ordered a pair last night to send the signal to the plasma in the bedroom. I don't think it will require power. If it is the same as the S-video it is just a balun. (A pretty, nicely finished balun, but just a balun). Since it is matching and sending the electrical signals across the wire, it shouldn't need any additional power.

If I find out differently when I get them, I'll let you know.

Bob

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:15 am

No power is needed guys.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

bhiga
Expert
Expert

Postby bhiga » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:02 pm

Thanks Bob and Mario - I didn't really think about the fact that it's not doing any signal interpretation... Makes sense.

Brandon
- Brandon

My MainLobby stuff (plug-ins, screenshots, etc)

jjohanneson

maybe obvious question

Postby jjohanneson » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:47 pm

Do I need a pair? one on both ends? one at source, one at "receiver"

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:45 pm

Yes, you need a pair. The only bummer is it only sends digital audio. I know why, it just sucks. So I have my component video going over these and the analog R+L channels for the plasma screen going over a cat 5 S-video + Analog audio set from the same web site.

Kinda turned out to be the path of least resistance for me since I had the S-vid set from the TV I replaced.

HTH,

Bob

jebrew

Disappointing

Postby jebrew » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:31 am

I purchased a pair of these baluns and I'm thoroughly disappointed. I've tried the following cable configurations:
75' stp/s cat6 (tested up to 650Mhz)
50' stp/s cat6 (tested up to 650Mhz)
50' utp cat5 (tested up to 250Mhz)
8' utp cat5e (tested up to 350Mhz)
4' utp cat5e (tested up to 350Mhz)

In all cases there was such significant loss in quality that the video was simply unwatchable. There experience was akin to watching signal broadcast TV on an older TV with no antenna. Large amounts of distortion and a giant green bar moving along the vertical hold. I'd expect this quality from a tv from the 80s watching a vhs tape that was over 20 years old, not from a dvd player with component out running to a projector with a 480p native resolution.

Then again, it could just be a bad batch. Stay tuned for a rating on the customer service of svideo.com (I've just sent them an e-mail letting them know of my disappointment).

Hopefully I will get the units replaced and they will just have ended up being bad ones.

Jebrew

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:03 am

Well, I hope that's what it is. I have two sets running, one with S-Video and one with Composite. They are both to the same panasonic plasma set and are making runs of about 50'. The quality is approximately the same as the panasonic plasma downstairs. I am running them both through a video matrix switch. The cat5 even runs over two flourescent fixtures that are holding the wire up! 8)

The only complaint I currently have is with audio bleed from the XM receiver if it is on. It bleeds into the TV speakers! But I haven't made the effort to figure out where I am getting that from (it could be any one of several things, since it is all in a 78" APC cabinet with wires EVERYWHERE!). :shock:

Functionally, I wish I could have just one balun on each end, but unless someone modifies cat5 to have an extra pair, I can't get 5 sets of signals across it. :lol:

If you run this directly on component cables, it all looks fine??? :?

Good luck, I hope everything works out.

Bob

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Disappointing

Postby greyt » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:05 pm

jebrew wrote:I purchased a pair of these baluns and I'm thoroughly disappointed. I've tried the following cable configurations:
75' stp/s cat6 (tested up to 650Mhz)
50' stp/s cat6 (tested up to 650Mhz)
50' utp cat5 (tested up to 250Mhz)
8' utp cat5e (tested up to 350Mhz)
4' utp cat5e (tested up to 350Mhz)

In all cases there was such significant loss in quality that the video was simply unwatchable. There experience was akin to watching signal broadcast TV on an older TV with no antenna. Large amounts of distortion and a giant green bar moving along the vertical hold. I'd expect this quality from a tv from the 80s watching a vhs tape that was over 20 years old, not from a dvd player with component out running to a projector with a 480p native resolution.

Then again, it could just be a bad batch. Stay tuned for a rating on the customer service of svideo.com (I've just sent them an e-mail letting them know of my disappointment).

Hopefully I will get the units replaced and they will just have ended up being bad ones.

Jebrew

Their kit seems to be the same as kit I purchase in the UK from www.madnat.co.uk. The component kit works really well for me over a 40' run using normal cat5, even up to 1080i. However I also have their passive VGA baluns that I binned since they were useless (they had also labelled the send and receive baluns up incorrectly that didn't help)

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:46 pm

This is probably a silly question, but these are straight through cables, not wired for a crossover, correct???

Bob

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:30 pm

rlindblad wrote:This is probably a silly question, but these are straight through cables, not wired for a crossover, correct???

Bob

Yes, straight through.

rlindblad
Expert
Expert

Postby rlindblad » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:50 pm

Umm, sorry - that question was meant for jebrew.
:shock:

Bob

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”