Live video in main lobby

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:04 pm

ok, I was looking for a "know to work" multiple input device so I didn't have to "buy and try" my way thru it :)
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:15 pm

Yea, I know the problem. Hopefully others on the forum can try out various devices and post their results. Personally I'm interested in this:

http://www.grandtec.com/xguard.htm

Anyone got one?

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:32 pm

I bought the GXG-4000 and found it very limiting. Knowing nothing about video capture cards I assumed I could capture 4 distinct sources with this card. Unfortunately with the GXG-4000, switching is done via the software and not by the card so its one channel being shared by 4 ports. You will only see one device in your device manager. The bottom line is that it can not handle multiple swf feeds in ML. Their software will show 4 feeds but this won't work in ML.

Some folks over at the HS forum were kind enough to clarify the difference for me. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=114502

I'm about to purchase the following card, the Winnow Videum 4400. Its a 4 channel/4 port card vs. a 1 channel/4 port card like the XGuard. You can compare the cards at http://www.winnov.com/videum.htm
Check the 4100 vs the 4400 and you'll see the difference.

Hope this helps.

Rick

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:24 pm

Yes, looks like an interesting card. Pretty expensive, but I guess if you want four full streams it's a good option. Can't really put four single cards in at once. I'm not sure how 4 USB video captures would work. I guess it depends if they are independent channels on the motherboard or sharing the bandwidth.

Post your results if you buy it.

-JSS

ricks

Postby ricks » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:13 am

Using 4 USB video capture devices does work as they show up as 4 separate devices in Device Manager. Although I did not try it in a hub so not sure if it will work without directly plugging into motherboard's USB ports. I guess it should. Its a little messey with 4 dongles and all the cables hanging off the back of my PC (pair of composite, 1 s-video and 1 audio X 4).

At a minimum of $50 each its still a $200 investment. :(

Rick

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:54 am

Yea, I'm just worried about bandwidth. If they hang off a hub, they are sharing a single channel. If they are plugged into the motherboard, the may have independent channels and thus the full bandwidth. It just depends on the motherboard vendor. Also, I've noticed the usb adapters take more cpu resources than a tuner card. Of course, if high quality isn't necessary this many not be a problem.

If you need 4 quality inputs, you are on the right track.

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:05 pm

Well I am noticing some CPU surges. On my one machine, 2.1 ghz, that has one USB video grabber attached my cpu shoots to 100 percent when being used with the MainLobby 19 screens. Anyone else noticing this? The video is still not bad but it does have a bit of choppiness to it. I want to add another but I am worried the machine will not even be able to support it?

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:42 am

Are you trying to scale the 0019 object? Changing the scale from 100% is pretty computationally intensive.

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:44 am

yes I am. I wanted the object a bit larger. Is there a better way to do this other than scaling it? Thanks, Chris

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:14 am

Yes, but not easliy. It would really require a new library object. Using the native size, the image is rendered using driver level direct show routines which are very fast, low level, effecient. If it's scaled, the image resized in the ML user process which takes a lot more cycles.

What size do you want?

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:31 am

On my first video screen I have scaled the object to 200 percent. I also want to create an additional screen for full screen video. What I am looking to do is make the first screen library object clickable and will navigate to lets say 0019_cable_fullscreen.mls. The 0019_cable_fullscreen.mls will have the library object set to x=0 y=0 and it will be scaled to 320 percent. If the user clicks one more time on the library object it will take them back to the pervious screen. I hope that makes sense.

Is there anyway I can mod the library objects myself? I am a flash developer but I am only getting my feet wet with ML.

Thanks, Chris

pgale
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pgale » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:31 am

Anyone got bigger windows than the standard 0019_0100 sizes yet?

I'm just getting into this and have a single WinTV Go installed so far. Will eventually be adding three more capture cards (USB or multi port card).

I'd like support for larger screens too.

Paul.

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:44 pm

I think 0019_106 is configurable in size via the label field.
Last edited by jss on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pgale
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pgale » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:17 pm

Any idea how to use that then? I searched the forum but didn't find anything anywhere (or in the release notes).

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:23 pm

In the label field, you can put the following fields that are separate by commas.

cam#, width, height, fps
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”