Live video in main lobby

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Live video in main lobby

Postby jss » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:03 pm

Here's a little something I cooked up and would like any interested persons to test out. It's another way to view a live video window in main lobby. The .swf file is attached. When used, it will display a live full frame rate video feed from a USB web cam or any video capture device which appears as an "imaging device" in the windows device manager. I've tested it with the belkin USB 2.0 DVD creator; which is a USB 2.0 composite video capture device (standard and S-video). Best of all the Belkin device is only about $80!

When you use it, it will pop up a message asking you to allow access to the camera. If you run the camera.swf in the stand-alone Flash player you can click a "remember" option in the settings (accessible by right-click) so this "allow access" prompt doesn't come up again.

If people are interested, I can spend a bit more time on this and add options to change the resolution, frame rate, quality, etc. For now, I just want to see if it works.

-JSS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmonaco

Seems Slick, But No Image on One Computer

Postby jmonaco » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:05 pm

The file works well on my main PC. But when I copy the file over to my home automation PC, when I open the .swf file with a browser (firefox or IE), no image shows up. Same when I add the .swf to an ML scene - no live video. It shows that I have a DVC 50 Video Capture device, and a live image can be seen via my iVista application, but nothing shows up in ML nor in a browser.

Any ideas why and how to fix it?

Thanks,
John.

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Re: Seems Slick, But No Image on One Computer

Postby mediastorm » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:14 pm

jmonaco wrote:The file works well on my main PC. But when I copy the file over to my home automation PC, when I open the .swf file with a browser (firefox or IE), no image shows up. Same when I add the .swf to an ML scene - no live video. It shows that I have a DVC 50 Video Capture device, and a live image can be seen via my iVista application, but nothing shows up in ML nor in a browser.

Any ideas why and how to fix it?

Thanks,
John.

Do you know if the DVC 50 uses a Windows WDM driver or not?

jmonaco

Postby jmonaco » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:55 pm

Thank you for the reply. Am trying to hunt and peck for a fix. No, I don't know if it uses Windows WDM driver. Any suggestions on how to find out?

BTW, the home automation PC (HCPC) is running win xp pro and has current macromedia & shockwave players.

jmonaco

FIXED IT! - But

Postby jmonaco » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:43 am

Got it to work. Either one of two things did the trick. First, in looking at the installation CD for the DVC 50, it said it was for Windows Me. I downloaded & installed the Win XP patch. Secondly, I exited the iVista application that was running in the background. I believe that the iVista application was taking the cam signal and not allowing the .swf scene to display it.

The But.... I use a java script and web server from iVista to broadcast the cam signal to a web page on my web server. Is there a way I can have the .swf file display the cam video and still be able to show the cam video on a web page that I access from the Internet via iVista or some other method at the same time?

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:00 pm

Why not just use a Web Lobby window to display the cam from the web server?

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:24 pm

Glad you got it to work.

I'm not really sure if multiple applicaitons can use the camera at once. If you need more information, look up the "Camera" class on Macromedia's flash help web site. You can also search on "Camera.get()".

This feature in flash was primarily intended to play streaming video from a web server, however it works with a local camera as well. I like it because I'm not limited to the frame rates and bandwitch usage of video streaming.

-JSS

jmonaco

Decided to use WebLobby, but like the .swf

Postby jmonaco » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:46 pm

I decided to go w/WebLobby. This way streaming cams can be served to both ML & my web server at the same time (in case someone at home is looking at a cam while I log on to my house from work via the Internet).

I would have preferred to have gone with the .swf in ML because iVista sometimes takes a 4 to 8 seconds to paint the live image. The .swf was quicker at 4 seconds - the time for HS to execute a cam switching script and for the cam feeds to stabilize.

Tried adding the .swf as a Flash movie on my web page but Frontpage 2003 would not show the live image - just a black box where the .swf is on the page.

The .swf works fine. A border around it might help a dark evening image stand out from a dark background.

Thanks,
John.

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:09 pm

JSS,

Very nice. It works perfectly for what I'm looking to do. Any suggestions on how I can get 4 different cameras into 4 different camera.swf's? I have 4 cameras connected to a 4-port video capture card. Camera.swf defaults to pick up the first camera on the card. The capture card shows up as a single device in the windows device manager. Thanks for any help you could offer.

-ricks

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:11 pm

Do you have flash MX?

I think this can be done, but it will need some actionscript programming. I may be able to work on this in a few weeks, but I just moved into my new house yesterday and I'm still trying to get everything to work.

-JSS

ricks

Postby ricks » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:21 pm

I've been looking for an excuse to buy Flash MX. I will give it a shot and update if I make progress. Being new to MX I expect "snail's pace" is being generous on my part.

Thanks,

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Diff Cams via SWF

Postby mediastorm » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:22 pm

I've had a similar issue using a single video card with multiple input types. I haven't found a way so far to tell Flash which input to use on the card either. I'd like to be able to switch between the S-Video and Composite inputs via ActionScript.

FlashComm server doesn't have any info on doing this either and everyone keeps saying to use additional capture devices which will work but there has GOT to be a way to switch inputs hidden somewhere.

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:23 pm

Let me know when you are ready and I'll e-mail you the raw file. The camera thing is incredibly simple, but it's a relatively obscure feature of flash.

-JSS

jss
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jss » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:32 pm

You can use the Camera.get(CAMERA_INDEX) method with CAMERA_INDEX set to the video input you want to use. Camera.names will contain a list of the inputs.

However, this may not help you because I don't think the different inputs from a single capture device will show up as distinct sources. I only think this works when you have multiple capture devices.

You'll have to see if there is an API or driver call for your video capture device which allow you to select the inputs. You will then have to write a short executable program which can be called from Mainlobby or Flash to set the input.

I have not tried this with my Belkin input device. However it has two inputs (S-Video & composite) and video editing programs can choose which input to use for capturing. Once the input is chosen it's sticky until reselected.

If anyone has any more ideas, I would be glad to give them a try.

-JSS

mediastorm
Developer
Developer

Postby mediastorm » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:20 pm

jss wrote:You can use the Camera.get(CAMERA_INDEX) method with CAMERA_INDEX set to the video input you want to use. Camera.names will contain a list of the inputs.

However, this may not help you because I don't think the different inputs from a single capture device will show up as distinct sources. I only think this works when you have multiple capture devices.

You'll have to see if there is an API or driver call for your video capture device which allow you to select the inputs. You will then have to write a short executable program which can be called from Mainlobby or Flash to set the input.

I have not tried this with my Belkin input device. However it has two inputs (S-Video & composite) and video editing programs can choose which input to use for capturing. Once the input is chosen it's sticky until reselected.

If anyone has any more ideas, I would be glad to give them a try.

-JSS

Yep, been there done that. Most apps use the WDM driver features and switch the input pins on the graph but Flash doesn't enumerate inputs for the device for some reason. I'm guessing it was simply an oversight when the API was designed. Currently you have to run an external app to set the correct input source as you pointed out. PITA but works.

It's been a while since I looked at this but I'll revisit it as I've also got a FlashComm server on the network as well.

I was using different video capture devices on different computers in different locations and connecting all of them to the FlashComm server to allow showing multiple cams in a single SWF app as well as being able to use distributed video sources.

The other advantage is that the resulting client SWF was tiny and bandwidth priorities could be adjusted depending on the video source as needed. I got to the point of doing some motion detection stuff and then got dragged off onto something else. My idea was to minimize the frame rates considerably until motion was detected and then kick up the frame rates until the motion was gone for x amount of time.

Oh, this also worked very well for rebroadcasting a video source to other rooms on tablets and etc. too.

Of course the downside is that FlashComm server isn't cheap by any means. There is a free version with minimal bandwidth and a couple of other versions that have varying costs based on the bandwidth and connections.

There are also several third party hosting companies with FlashComm server hosting now as well but it's still kind of $$ for just tinkering.

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”