Wiring an autopatch

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
MrOcelot

Wiring an autopatch

Postby MrOcelot » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:19 pm

I'm looking into purchasing an Autopatch matrix switcher, and all the video inputs are BNC. Anybody used this device to switch cable/satellite sources which are typically on coax? Where does one purchase the connecting cables?

PP
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby PP » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:24 pm

Hi,
They make mini Rca Cables to which you can get BNC Compression fittings.
But if you already have RG6 coax cables run. They Have Compression RCA connectors that you can then use the female RCA to BNC connection to convert it.

MrOcelot

Postby MrOcelot » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:11 pm

Can I distribute cable or satellite over coax using the Autopatch as the switcher? Does it have the bandwidth to pass all the channels, or would this be passing video and audio for the channel that I am currently tuned to?

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:41 pm

MrOcelot wrote:Can I distribute cable or satellite over coax using the Autopatch as the switcher? Does it have the bandwidth to pass all the channels, or would this be passing video and audio for the channel that I am currently tuned to?

This is a VERY old question but in case someone else is wondering:

I contacted Autopatch about my newly aquired USED Autopatch 4ydm. Let me tell you, Autopatch was VERY helpful!!! One of the first questions they asked was "Did you buy this on ebay?." I thought OH NO, there goes my support! I was wrong, THEY DIDNT CARE and expressed appreciation in my buying their product even used. They said they treat ALL owners the same, period. That was a refreshing change especially after talking to Display Systems that was NOT helpful AT ALL after they learned I bought their touchscreen used (which has turned out to be a complete waste of money as its useless without the serial drivers).

Anyhoot, I gave them the serial number and not only did he tell me exactly what each port was he also told me who owned it, how old it was and what I needed to do. It certainly left a good impression on me for Autopatch. While their product may be out of the realm of my customer base (they are VERY expensive), I certainly will give them first shot when we do indeed have a very high end customer (which I do foresee).

Another note, he indicated that the software I needed will no longer be available to the general public after Sept or Oct. He sent me a link and I have the software. So, if anyone needs it, I will be more than happy to send it to you. Its free software so I am confident I am not violating any rules.

The bottom line is: if you are considering buying a used Autopatch but have some concern about support, DONT worry. Autopatch rocks for support and they are VERY helpful.

Please see my next post for balun questions which is the thrust of this thread anyways.

edit. I forgot to answer the question in the thread. The thru-put COMPLETELY depends on the cards in the slots. Example, the cards in my autopatch will not pass 1080p but will pass 1080i. If you dont know, call autopatch, they WILL know.
Last edited by Ranger Home Automation on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Video Baluns

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:54 pm

I have a box of Channel Vision 3111 baluns.

http://www.channelvision.com/pdf/produc ... 11-ins.pdf

here is my concern. If i use this to BNC to the back of the autopatch and then used twisted pair to my source, i am not sure it has the bandwidth since these baluns are really for cctv. Anyone know?

Also, it has a + and a - on the balun for the twisted pair. I cant tell if i am to use ONE pair and put ONE on - and ONE on +? If i put a PAIR on - and a PAIR on + wouldnt I have more bandwith or am i just limited on bandwidth based on the balun itself?

if i cant use these baluns, i will have about 10 for sale, LOL.

any input?

lathanm
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby lathanm » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:21 pm

The bandwidth is based on the balun and so using extra pairs will gain you some reliability but nothing in the type of signal you can cleanly pass. That said if they were design for composite cameras don't expect the best quality video. Really you won't know the limits until you install it.
Hacker /n./ One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

Pass the popcorn, the movie is starting!

http://project2501.tzo.com/gallery/automation
http://project2501.tumblr.com

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks lath! always appreciate your input. well that said, I likely will not use the balans in my own home for HD but probably good enough for 480 or just standard transmission.

the autopatch i have has cards with the 3 colors but also has the horizontal and vertical . Of course the sets those are going to dont have h & V so i am hoping if i just dont use them all is fine. might have to call autopatch on that just to make sure.

again, thanks as always. :)

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Tue May 27, 2008 7:29 am

I'm using passive baluns to send HDTV component signals no problems. I'm using madnat baluns (UK company as I'm UK based). I'm not running very large distances, max 60' but they work really well. I bought one set to try them and just placed an order for the other three rooms I distribute audio/video to.

I was using composite to RF modulators but these tended to make everything very colorful like a pixar animated movie and were mono only....

Now I'm running component, digital audio, composite video and stereo audio to each room via two cat5e cables (pre-bought) and two sets of baluns for each room.

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”