Front door camera, doorbell, video distribution?

Discuss with other members how to distribute and setup whole house audio and video. Let everyone know what combination of products you are using to accomplish this.
AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Front door camera, doorbell, video distribution?

Postby AccessHA » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:27 am

We would like to do the following:

1. Guest rings doorbell
2. Front door camera turns on and starts DVR recording (Samsung)
3. TV displays guest on any TV in the house (preferably in PIP window)

I know I’ll need an ELK930 Door Bell interface but what’s the best way to trigger and distribute the video (CAV6.6)? The current video distribution is Dish satellite over RG6 (digital). We also have two Cat5e's to each location.

I know this has been done countless times and there are many different ways to skin this cat. Looking for input on best approach. I’m looking for hardware suggestions from people who have this working.

Thanks!
Hell-bent on automating everything! I’m too lazy to do anything else.

www.accessHA.com
Access Home Automation
The ultimate Insteon resource on the web.

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Nobody has this type of solution working?

www.accessHA.com

Access Home Automation

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:21 pm

i have it working but outside the cinemar wqorld
motion at door area (front,rear,basement)
Triggers HAI security zone(s) not ready
Turns on lights
PIP activated in each TV with Video from zone shown (oroginates from door phone camera)
Camera video shows on TV workstation

or/and

Doorbell rings ( Panasonic door phone/camera)
Trips zone on HAI
turns on lights (if dark)
PIP activated...same as above)
ChrisB

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:56 pm

cborod wrote:i have it working but outside the cinemar wqorld
motion at door area (front,rear,basement)
Triggers HAI security zone(s) not ready
Turns on lights
PIP activated in each TV with Video from zone shown (oroginates from door phone camera)
Camera video shows on TV workstation

or/and

Doorbell rings ( Panasonic door phone/camera)
Trips zone on HAI
turns on lights (if dark)
PIP activated...same as above)

Perfect, that's what I'm looking to do. Can you describe your hardware chain other than the HAI? Like what you are using to control IR, zoned video, etc.?

www.accessHA.com

Access Home Automation

cborod

Postby cborod » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:10 pm

First, an explanation. My home is a reflection of my passion for Do it yourself technology with no limits. As long as I can swing a good deal and install and support it myself I'll try just about anything.

The design is mine, the mistakes are mine. The overkill is obvious. Lastly, the systems are best of breed (my opinions) and thus my bias toward certain manufacturers. Most of the logic resides in the HAI panel, but I have migrated some things like irrigation control to Cinemar products.

Hardwirwing is standard whenever possible. That means RS-232 control, USB control, etc. for amps, TVs, satellite receivers, satellite radio,
Everything home run to the central equipment areas in basement. CAT5 is standard. I adapt things to run on it. Especially Serial, IR, command and control.

Everything is housed in three units. 1 A/v rack, 1 Server rack, 1 security rack. All located in the basement. Keeps the noise, heat, and all in 1 location where I can deal with it efficeiently and effectively.

The only technology visible in the living quarters are the TVs, and built in ceiling speakers if you can find them, and small touch screen laptops in each room. The laptops run Main lobby as RDP sessions from a Windows Home Server. Laptops are wireless.

At every wallplate (2 per room) 4 network drops, 3 coax drops.

Control Infrared for A/V - Xantech (various components)

Hardwired IR dinky links behind the grille of speakers in every room. Usually the center speaker, but sometimes in an overhead.

With the exception of ceiling installs and wall panel Xantech controllers, I run interactive IR over CAT5 so relocation of equipment anywhere is no problem because I can plug my Xantech mini-click/dinky link units into any network drop and route it to the A/V rack.

Security IR

All security systems are hardwired home run to the panel. The only wireless security device is a single button GE keyfob for grandma (help i've fallen....) and a 4-button GE keyfob for me and the wife and son.

Hard wired Fire, smoke, and gas detectors are in every area. Water sensors protect against floods. Flush mount magnets are on every door, window, etc.

PIR indoor = Sensor Switch SNCM-PC

These are occupancy sensors used primarily to turn lights on/off on person using a room. Saved tons of money just by turning off lights after 1 minute of no occupancy/motion......

Also saved HUGE $$ by using soft start dimming controls for lighting. I have only replaced 4 halogen recessed lamps since 2000!!

Driveway alert is Cartell CTCP 2200

It is a zone in the security system. Alerts when vehicles enter the driveway.

PIR outdoor = Optex LX-402 discreet mounted in each outdoor entry area.

Doorphone/Camera Setup - Panasonic add on to KXTA-624 phone system.

Each door has a Panasonic Camera Door Phone PAVLGC001AN
which routes to PAVLGM301A master door phone control unit.
Master unit also ties to each door lock allowing remote lock/unlock of any door by command fromany phone handset, from a command in the security system, or wireless keyfob button when my arm is full of groceries.

Composite Video tap out from Panasonic controller to input 8 of Xantech a/v SYSTEM

Input 8 is routed to a composite input of every TV/projector giving instant pop-up access to camera video on any screen.

IP cameras -
There are also 2 Toshiba grounds cameras (outdoor) and 2 Panasonic indoor cameras for general viewing.

A/V Distribution

Composite Video and stereo audio.
Xantech ZPR-68 8 in 6 out
Xantech Zoned IR emitters/receivers as mentioned above.

Routing primarily for audio now, iTunes, XM Radio, audio portion of DirecTV. iTunes are generated from 3 Airports 2 plugged in as inputs to the Xantech, and 1 Apple TV unit distributed as HDMI input to living room or bedroom TVs.

HDMI or component video via Gefen distribution appliances, extenders, etc. to the three TVs (kitchen, bedrooms). Digital audio via coax where necessary.

Dedicated HDMI/Component to my gameday experience (office) and son's gaming room projector.

Newly added is a Sony CX777-DVD jukebox with DVD lobby. It replaced a powerfile DVD juke box which is now dedicated to software only distribution. Combined with Title lookup it is a magical experience to click the DVD Lobby icon on the living room laptop, have the lights dim, watch a few trailers and then a movie....all in MY home.....

RS-232 controls DIGI Port Server 16

Hardwired control to serial ports on Xantech pre-amp, DirecTV receivers, Polk XM, HAIPanel, Lighting controller, Caller ID, Irrigation, TV panels, Projector, Gefen unit.

All Serial runs on CAT5 using DB9>RJ45 plugs.

Serial ports from the DIGI are logical and can be shared via IP to any computer on the network and appears as a local serial port. No more octopus on the back of the home server. Testing and migration are a mouse click, not a wiring hassle.

USB - DIGI USB anywhere 5

Allows central plug-in point for charging and linking ipods and phones. Just drop your unit into its docking station and it charges and synchs and is ready for the next time you go out. The cell phone links via bluetooth to a dock'n' talk unit and appears as a line on the house wide phione system.

I've probably missed something and i'm sorry if it sounds like a brag fest....(i guess it is), but you asked....

Oh yeah...it started in 1998 with changing thermostats to energy saving setback units....and over the ten years morphed into this monster.

When I said best of breed...I meant it. Cinemar wasn't added until 2005 when I fully believed they were the best choice for the visual, computer interface. I looked at and installed a bunch of other solutions but outside Crest-AMX (which I could not afford) nothing came close.....

While we're plugging, I'll tip my hat to the Scholl family whjo run Worthington Distribution. Before anyone else, they were believers in the whole idea of home automation, helped my understand along the way, always,always stood behind every sale,and do business the way each of us hopes for, honest, efficient, trustworthy and smart!

And Mario, Dave, and Smooth it is incredible how they have grown Cinemar into the amazing setup it is today. For all the flaws people want to point out I challenge you to find a solution as diverse, as open, as powerful, and as well supported as Main Lobby!

As much as I've spent $$-wise, I've truly gotten returns of energy savings, convenience, a crazy hobby, and friends all over the world that I've met through the forums and discussion groups. And that part has truly been the best part!

Hope there is an answer in there somewhere...that you can use....
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

ricks

Postby ricks » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:57 am

Wow! So now for the real question... what does grandma think of all this? :D

Thanks for sharing.
Rick

cborod

Postby cborod » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:17 pm

Grandma is a regular user of the systems.

She uses the weather pages, news pages, and horoscopes.

She loves that lights come on when she enters a room, that they go out after she leaves.

She loves the fact that heat and cooling keep her comfortable year round.

She appreciates not having to hand water plants because they are handled by the irrigation system.

She loves the door camera feature because she can be secure about who is at the door and whether she wants to answer or not.

She loves that even though we're in Central PA, she can watch her Cleveland teams (Indians, Browns) on DirecTV.

And she uses XM lobby to listen to her favorites of the 40s 50s and beautiful music.
ChrisB

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Yea - but does she do the dishes?? :lol:
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

cborod

Postby cborod » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:44 pm

Great idea! Bout time the old bat got up and did something :lol: oh, himom, uh,just talking with some friends..... :oops:
ChrisB

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:24 am

AccessHA,

Because I have so many cameras and I wanted recording to happen 24x7, I went with the GeoVision installed on a separate PC.

This PC has component outputs capable of 1920x1080i that runs into the whole house VideoStorm matrix switcher.

You can then decide which TV is displaying the GeoVision interface. They have a full screen mode that works nicely. Using IR, you can select the matrix and which camera is full screen.

My system takes a snapshot as someone enters the driveway and displays it on all MainLobby clients. So I know who it is before they even get to the door.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:33 am

My system takes a snapshot as someone enters the driveway and displays it on all MainLobby clients. So I know who it is before they even get to the door.

Well, I guess if you know them, you know who it is, but if you do not, then you know it is a stranger....Ok it has been a long weekend. :wink:
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:38 am

DaveB wrote:

Well, I guess if you know them, you know who it is, but if you do not, then you know it is a stranger....Ok it has been a long weekend. :wink:

Good point. :)

We live in the boonies for the most part. So not a lot of unknown visitors. If there are, then we resort to checking them on a MainLobby Client and/or just use the Doorbell Fon to see what they need.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

cborod

Postby cborod » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:07 am

the nice thing about the whole concept is you can decide IF you want to "answer the door", answer from behind a closed door, or totally ignore them.

and i like the recording touch...kinda like caller id fr the door
ChrisB

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:54 am

I just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback. Cborod, it took me a while to digest your entire post ;) … very impressive and thanks for taking the time to share.

I know quite a few people are using the GeoVision products. Mario… which model are you running? Are you using a Dakota product for the driveway detection?

www.accessHA.com

Access Home Automation

Return to “Whole House Audio/Video Distribution”